Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm not turned off the the wheel issue/recall as far as a defect in the vehicle. I'm sure that will be fully resolved and not be an issue aside from the delay. I have been, however, very turned off by Subaru's complete lack of acknowledgement and communication about the issue. My dealer didn't even know anything about it, so I wouldn't know anything about it if I didn't participate in this and other forums. Subaru has the email address of every single person who had a reservation, which is probably 99% of all orders and they've chosen to have zero communication. I would assume that they would have people at Corporate that would monitor social media and forums like this, but I can't imagine they read what's going on and still decide it's best to leave everyone in the dark.

Add that to the complete lack of planning and information during the ordering process and I've been very disappointed in Subaru with this rollout. I know there's a risk with the first iteration of a vehicle and being the first full EV from Toyota/Subaru, probably even more so. But I thought that going with a company, Toyota (and Subaru, too), with a great reputation for quality and reliability and Subaru, with their reputation for great customer service, I was comfortable going with the Solterra. Honestly, I expected there to be some type of recall at some point and probably to have some weird issues with either the EV system or even infotainment that my local Subaru retailer would struggle to resolve, but I really thought the retailer (who has always been great!) and Subaru would make things right. Now, I'm not so sure. I guess we'll need to see how the next month or so shakes out.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
240 Posts
Legit question - how turned off is everyone after wheelgate - if at all?

Will you still standby the Solterra or have potential future issues given you not-so-good vibes?
Stuff happens. They will address it by the time I'm ready to buy. I'm more concerned about whether or not there will be waivers for some of the new requirements for tax incentives for US buyers, given that a "yuge" percentage of affordable EVs will no longer qualify effective 1 January 23 until the industry can adapt. That could hurt sales substantially for Soltera and a bunch of other similar vehicles.

To be clear, I actually support the intent to get as much raw material and manufacturing for EVs here in North America. It's the time frame that may not be realistic.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am not turned off by the wheel issue/recall, as others have noted it will get fixed prior to car delivery. I am curious how all the EV tax credit stuff will go - that's not really the fault of Subaru, but could have a lot of impact on my financial situation. It would be most helpful to me to be able to purchase in late '22 and claim the tax credit in '23 (a few months later). Even if the credit remains as is, but delivery isn't till January of 23 - that puts the tax credit dollars being returned to me over a year later in '24. So not ideal. Of course there is a possibility that all of the details surrounding the tax credit will change too based on new legislation.

As for the car - I would still love to see some private owner reactions to the Solterra or the BZ4X. Everything I have seen in other test drives by auto industry review media makes the car seem like a pretty good one for me. A couple of things that could be better (DC fast charge time/range) but neither of which really are important to me.

Dealer told me on order that mine would arrive in November. So we will see what changes between now and then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not turned off the the wheel issue/recall as far as a defect in the vehicle. I'm sure that will be fully resolved and not be an issue aside from the delay. I have been, however, very turned off by Subaru's complete lack of acknowledgement and communication about the issue. My dealer didn't even know anything about it, so I wouldn't know anything about it if I didn't participate in this and other forums. Subaru has the email address of every single person who had a reservation, which is probably 99% of all orders and they've chosen to have zero communication. I would assume that they would have people at Corporate that would monitor social media and forums like this, but I can't imagine they read what's going on and still decide it's best to leave everyone in the dark.

Add that to the complete lack of planning and information during the ordering process and I've been very disappointed in Subaru with this rollout. I know there's a risk with the first iteration of a vehicle and being the first full EV from Toyota/Subaru, probably even more so. But I thought that going with a company, Toyota (and Subaru, too), with a great reputation for quality and reliability and Subaru, with their reputation for great customer service, I was comfortable going with the Solterra. Honestly, I expected there to be some type of recall at some point and probably to have some weird issues with either the EV system or even infotainment that my local Subaru retailer would struggle to resolve, but I really thought the retailer (who has always been great!) and Subaru would make things right. Now, I'm not so sure. I guess we'll need to see how the next month or so shakes out.
Great synopsis of how I think and feel as well. To be honest, I am having second thoughts and may go today and put a (refundable) deposit on another EV. Unfortunately, that will probably mean another year wait and most likely paying above MSRP which I despise! Also, hoping the 21 year old Highlander keeps running in the meanwhile!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great synopsis of how I think and feel as well. To be honest, I am having second thoughts and may go today and put a (refundable) deposit on another EV. Unfortunately, that will probably mean another year wait and most likely paying above MSRP which I despise! Also, hoping the 21 year old Highlander keeps running in the meanwhile!
Hope the Highlander hangs in there.
I made a backup deposit on an ID4 in July.
we’ll see who comes through first.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm not so much turned off as just tired of waiting. Not so much waiting for the car itself as waiting for solid info on when it will be here. I'm open to changing my plan, if need be.

I'm "waitlisted" for an EV6 at a nearby dealership.... as in, they'll call if/when they have one arriving that hasn't been pre-sold yet. If I were to buy one it would be about $3,500 over MSRP, but it would be this year. The EV6 is my second choice, but if the assembly line shutdown extends into September and October I might have to settle for the second choice.

I should note that I'm still waiting to hear ANYTHING about the Q4 e-tron I was all set to order in January. So, waiting forever for info isn't confined to the Solterra. At least I have an order for one of those, FWIW.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
240 Posts
I am curious how all the EV tax credit stuff will go - that's not really the fault of Subaru, but could have a lot of impact on my financial situation.
Pretty much all of the manufacturers have expressed concerns about the requirements in the bill as nearly 70% of the current and coming EVs/BEVs will not quality or will only partially qualify. As I've noted, I agree with the idea of the requirements, but believe that there needs to be some phasing to not completely upset the market momentum.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Those seem to be the best bets. I think Bolt batteries are made in Michigan, but I'm not sure. If Teslas qualify, it will be just the base model of the M3 and the MY. Or, Tesla will probably sell the M3 with part of the battery disabled to stay under the price limits and then charge extra later to enable the full capacity.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those seem to be the best bets. I think Bolt batteries are made in Michigan, but I'm not sure. If Teslas qualify, it will be just the base model of the M3 and the MY. Or, Tesla will probably sell the M3 with part of the battery disabled to stay under the price limits and then charge extra later to enable the full capacity.
Sounds like a Tesla move

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don't care, well apart for the delay. I don't see why a stud kit, made for all the Euro bolt cars that go to the track, would not work just fine. Anyway I am on the list, because people have bailed, and that's good. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Little secret... when things started getting interesting, I made it to the nearest city with EVs to demo (Minneapolis, ~4.5hr drive) and fell in love with the Polestar/Volvos. Put a deposit down on a Volvo XC40 recharge... figured with the tax credit I'd push my budget for something that would have better performance and finish (and wasn't 1st gen). Now with the new legislation, some magic will have to happen to see that tax credit. Without it, I'm torn... will I go back to a Volvo ICE (in budget) or lean on the Solterra which will show up at some point? Who knows. The recall itself doesn't worry me too much. The complete lack of communication and knowledge at the dealer lever through the entire process is the turnoff. Really bad rollout in my opinion...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Agree about the lack of communication. Received an email last week from salesman saying mine was in the pipeline to arrive 8/8. I responded I had heard rumors of a recall. He responded 'looks like a hold' until they check it out. If I wasn't reading the news, I guess I would be expecting it tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine is going up the mountain, so a little clearance is nice. We have 180,000 km of logging roads on Vancouver Island and I know my way about my part of this vast resource. I love to wander in my Mountains, and the Solterra can take me to many places it would be difficult to get to, with a Volvo for instance. ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Little secret... when things started getting interesting, I made it to the nearest city with EVs to demo (Minneapolis, ~4.5hr drive) and fell in love with the Polestar/Volvos. Put a deposit down on a Volvo XC40 recharge... figured with the tax credit I'd push my budget for something that would have better performance and finish (and wasn't 1st gen). Now with the new legislation, some magic will have to happen to see that tax credit. Without it, I'm torn... will I go back to a Volvo ICE (in budget) or lean on the Solterra which will show up at some point? Who knows. The recall itself doesn't worry me too much. The complete lack of communication and knowledge at the dealer lever through the entire process is the turnoff. Really bad rollout in my opinion...
I don’t see how anyone could be even remotely satisfied with the information put forth so far by Subaru.

I still am a believer in the vehicle, and I’m confident the wheel issue with be suitably resolved, but the communication coming from Subaru to customers awaiting vehicles has been a total failure, IMO.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts