Subaru Solterra Forum banner
281 - 300 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yeah, but they are still going to issue final guidance after public comments. Might not help but worth a shot.
I’m going to apply for a $10,000 student loan and then apply for a student loan forgiveness. Use $7500 as my vehicle tax credit and have a $2500 party in Vegas.

Yeah, that oughta work just fine…

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been calling my dealer for last week asking if I could come in and sign a purchase order. I told them they just fill in the reservation for VIN number. Alas, they wouldn't do it so I too will now cancel the order as the Solterra was a bit pricy and I was counting on the 7500 to make it a resonable price. Tell me how it goes with getting the refund. I had two reservation for the Solterra and cancelled one last week and the dealer said they have to talk to SOA. SOA tells me to talk to the dealer. I'm sure I'll eventually get the refund but I don't expect it to be easy and am counting on it taking months.
UPDATE: I just got a $250 refund on my cc from "Retailer Reservation" which is how it was charged for the SOA Solterra reservation back in Feb. Took a few weeks, but no big hassle. Just had to email my dealer that I want to cancel the reservation and requested a full refund.

Oh, well, I had hoped my first Subaru would be my first BEV, but that is not going to happen. If my reservation for the Silverado EV is fulfilled, then I will be a proud owner of Made in USA BEV next year... maybe.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What I’ve learnt from EV reservations is take your worse case estimate and double it… lol.

My Mach-E orders took 10-12 months when original estimate was 26 weeks. My Tesla orders were 6-13 months. My ID.4 order was supposed to be 4-5 months (I picked top trim) but ended up 10 months and then I declined it. My Rivian, Ariya, Solterra, etc are still ongoing and already late by 3-6 months each. My Lyriq order got pushed back 3-4 months too.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Interesting… I just viewed the Solterra section on the Subaru website. At the bottom of the page, under the FAQ section, there’s this…

”A federal tax credit incentive of up to $7,500 is available. Additional incentives, tax credits, and discounts may be available based on your location and employer. Make sure to look into your state’s information about electric vehicles.”

It doesn’t seem that the website has been updated to reflect the new legislation yet.
Update: FWIW…I just checked the Subaru.com site, and someone finally got around to changing the FAQ section and removed the Federal tax credit line..

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yep, Hyundai has been saying the same thing since it was signed.

Hyundai Motor chief wraps up 2-week US trip to counter IRA
Not just the Huundai CEO/Chairman, but the country of South Korea's government. They have passed a resolution in their government against the IRA. Also having multiple trade and government officials meet with the US over the next short while.

Japan and the EU are supposed to put out a joint statement condemning the IRA soon.

If I were guessing, the best we could hope for is an IRS delay / waiver but I suspect that won't happen until after midterms - if it happens at all.

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Japan and the EU are supposed to put out a joint statement condemning the IRA soon.

If I were guessing, the best we could hope for is an IRS delay / waiver but I suspect that won't happen until after midterms - if it happens at all.
My gut feeling for a while has been that Toyota was essentially holding the bZ4X and Solterra as hostages for the tax credits. There was a lot of lead-up to the IRA being introduced and approved which all EV manufacturers were watching closely and providing behind the scenes feedback on.

It's obvious the immediate need was to get something coal-boy would sign off on, and that now the rough edges are being addressed (like Warnock's bill) -- thankfully.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My gut feeling for a while has been that Toyota was essentially holding the bZ4X and Solterra as hostages for the tax credits. There was a lot of lead-up to the IRA being introduced and approved which all EV manufacturers were watching closely and providing behind the scenes feedback on.

It's obvious the immediate need was to get something coal-boy would sign off on, and that now the rough edges are being addressed (like Warnock's bill) -- thankfully.
I 100% agree and I wish I could give you 100 likes for calling Manchin exactly what he is - a coal-boy! He puts the fossil in fossil fuel.

Short of another reconciliation bill or attaching this as a rider to a spending bill to keep the government going (possible), I'm not sure this will garner enough GOP support to get through. I highly doubt is as a matter of fact, lol.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You must not have seen the Manchin-Mobile
LOL,I did. My wife is from WV and her dad still lives there. I used his address to write Manchin about the sudden loss of a tax credit for 10,000's of people who had ordered in advance (some a year or more ago) and were suddenly stripped of the tax credit. He returned a canned response how he will never not stand by principles and putting the USA first, etc. etc. etc. I don't mind putting the US first but I do mind the manner in which they rushed it through and also giving Manchin anything he wanted to get the damn thing passed. Living in KY and being close to WV, it's always coal jobs, coal jobs, coal jobs. I was shocked to find out through the US Dept. of Labor that WV has 13,000 coal jobs and KY has 7,000. 20,000 jobs between them with 8 million people. People who preach about the coal jobs must think there were millions of them the way that they talk. sigh.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Update: It was introduced today.

"Warnock’s bill would give companies like Hyundai time to ramp up production in the U.S. before the final assembly and battery material sourcing rules kick in. If the legislation passes, it would delay the battery sourcing provision until 2025 and the final assembly requirement until 2026. "

·
Registered
670 Posts
Update: It was introduced today.

"Warnock’s bill would give companies like Hyundai time to ramp up production in the U.S. before the final assembly and battery material sourcing rules kick in. If the legislation passes, it would delay the battery sourcing provision until 2025 and the final assembly requirement until 2026. "
That's one big IF!

·
Registered
162 Posts
That's one big IF!
Yeah. It won't stand a chance before election but once that's over, there might be a chance to get it through but I highly doubt it. The only saving grace is if enough plants from Kia, Hyundai, Mercedes, etc. are in GOP states that can swing the vote. Notice that Brian Kemp, governor of GA, was quick to criticize Warknock for helping pass the original bill and now back tracking on it, he also supports the bill behind the scenes because of Hyundai and Kia and the fact that Hyundia/Kia was planning on building a 5 billion dollar EV plant in Georgia.

281 - 300 of 306 Posts