Subaru Solterra Forum banner
241 - 260 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Obviously, Solterra customers are not alone in facing the repercussions of the changes to the tax credit. In addition to the thousands of Solterra customers, there are thousands of other EV customers awaiting orders from Kia, Hyundai, etc. Perhaps we should all form a class action lawsuit and sue the federal government for damages resulting from the legislation, which doesn't provide enough time for customers to respond to the changes to the EV tax credits. Anyone know a good lawyer?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Obviously, Solterra customers are not alone in facing the repercussions of the changes to the tax credit. In addition to the thousands of Solterra customers, there are thousands of other EV customers awaiting orders from Kia, Hyundai, etc. Perhaps we should all form a class action lawsuit and sue the federal government for damages resulting from the legislation, which doesn't provide enough time for customers to respond to the changes to the EV tax credits. Anyone know a good lawyer?
Use the one that the bz4x customers will use to sue Toyota.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well I guess this is how things are handled these days, since companies can't seem to communicate, people get frustrated and seek legal recourse. I am not saying this is right or wrong, I guess it will just be another commercial on tv real soon :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just got this from VW since I have an ID4 reserved. VW seems pretty proactive compared to Subaru.

Earlier this week, President Biden signed the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 Act into law (the “Act”). Volkswagen along with its independent Volkswagen dealers, has been working to understand the substantial impacts of the Act and we appreciate your patience as we navigate the uncertain environment. Please note that this message does not convey legal or tax advice, and you should consult with your tax/legal advisor to advise on your specific situation.1
Update Regarding a “Written Binding Contract”
Last week, we provided information that, while the Act was awaiting President Biden’s signature, reservation holders who wished to increase their chance of being eligible to claim the EV tax credit under the previous law may consider entering into a “written binding contract to purchase” a qualifying vehicle with a Volkswagen dealer before the date of enactment of the new legislation. At that time, there was a short window when entering into such a contract may have been advantageous. It’s also important to note that the unusual circumstances and time pressure understandably created challenges for some dealers. Now that the Act has been enacted, we believe that window has passed. There is no longer the urgency to secure a “written binding contract to purchase” in advance of your vehicle purchase.
That said, we have always encouraged reservation holders for ID.4s to contact their preferred dealer to discuss pricing and any other terms related to the purchase prior to the vehicle being delivered to the dealership. We still encourage you to do so. We believe this eases in the final transaction and will allow you more time during the delivery to learn more about the features of your new ID.4.
Current Reservations
It’s important to note that all reservations with Volkswagen for ID.4 vehicles are fully refundable until the point of purchase at a dealership. Given that the relevant government agencies are still required to issue further guidance under the Act, reservation holders may wish to wait to learn more about their potential eligibility for future tax credits, and can feel free to do so until the time of vehicle purchase.
Vehicle Eligibility
At this point, we do not know which vehicles will qualify as a “new clean vehicle” for purposes of the “Clean Vehicle Credit” under the new Act, or the amount of what those credits may be. We hope to have updated information once the Department of Treasury (“Treasury”) issues guidance.
The Model Year 2023 Volkswagen ID.4 vehicles will be assembled in Chattanooga, TN and, we expect but cannot guarantee that they will be certified and listed on the IRS.gov website to be eligible for a tax credit under recently released IRS guidance.2
In addition to the details listed above, there are other factors (including your individual tax situation) involved in determining eligibility for a “Clean Vehicle Credit” and we encourage you to consult with a tax advisor to understand what the details of the Act may mean for you.3
What’s Next?
As mentioned above, although the IRS has recently issued guidance, the rules for implementation of the Act have not yet been finalized and many uncertainties remain. Volkswagen plans to continue to attempt to influence the relevant government agencies to support our reservation holders, but there are no guarantees that we will be successful. You can support this effort by reaching out to your Senators and Representative in Congress. Tell them how the Act could impact you and how Treasury should issue implementing guidance that both supports customers like you and the entire US EV market. The more voices, the better.
You can find how to contact your Representative here and your Senators here.
It has certainly been a week of much uncertainty, updates and rapid developments. If you have questions about this information, the Act, or your current or future eligibility for any tax credit, please consult with a tax and/or legal advisor.
Best Regards,

Volkswagen of America, Inc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
y'all should write to SOA and express your concerns over the loss in EV credit. maybe they'll feel bad and compensate the future solterra buyers lol (unlikely).

Email Us | Subaru
I did email SoA explaining/complaining when my dealership told me to forego my 1,000 deposit on Solterra if I canceled my order. I explained that my main reason was the tax credit and with that gone, it didn't make any sense to buy a Solterra.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I did email SoA explaining/complaining when my dealership told me to forego my 1,000 deposit on Solterra if I canceled my order. I explained that my main reason was the tax credit and with that gone, it didn't make any sense to buy a Solterra.
Assuming no tax credit, which EV do you like better than the Solterra that costs the same or less?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Assuming no tax credit, which EV do you like better than the Solterra that costs the same or less?
None. I placed my first EV order because it came from Subaru. With all tax rebates, I wanted to get an EV at around 35k with tax rebates (7500 Fed + 2500 VA State) which is somewhat comparable to rsimilar ICE. It came to about 40k and decided to still get it. I estimated my annual gas savings would be between $900 to $1,100 based on my average monthly electric charges with gas prices between $3 to $3.5. That is assuming 2.8-3 miles per kWh. I feel like I am just paying more for the car to avoid future gas station stops and with the gas saving, it will take 7-10 yrs for ROI on the additional cost of an EV. My bottom line is purely based on dollars and cents and I would be lying if I said it was for any other reason.

·
Registered
593 Posts
None. I placed my first EV order because it came from Subaru. With all tax rebates, I wanted to get an EV at around 35k with tax rebates (7500 Fed + 2500 VA State) which is somewhat comparable to rsimilar ICE. It came to about 40k and decided to still get it. I estimated my annual gas savings would be between $900 to $1,100 based on my average monthly electric charges with gas prices between $3 to $3.5. That is assuming 2.8-3 miles per kWh. I feel like I am just paying more for the car to avoid future gas station stops and with the gas saving, it will take 7-10 yrs for ROI on the additional cost of an EV. My bottom line is purely based on dollars and cents and I would be lying if I said it was for any other reason.
I hate to break it to you, but you're not getting the $2500 from VA. The law is in place, but it was never funded, and likely won't be. I'm in Virginia too, so I had to make my peace with that awhile back.

I think you'd see 3+ mi/kWh. ABRP lists it as 2.99 mi/kWh at 65 mph.

The value to me is more than improved running costs. I love Subaru and want to play a part in their transition to EVs. Also, I believe EVs are the next evolution in cars that are just plain more desirable all-around. Subaru owners as a group are fiercely loyal, and Subaru has done the best among all car brands at holding the line on MSRP without dealer markups even as their lots are empty. I love our national parks, and Subaru has contributed the most to them. And they're proactive on minimizing pollution, which makes their transition to EVs seem natural. I expect any EV to be made practically obsolete in three years by the advancements that are coming. So, I expect to trade up then.

·
Registered
355 Posts
...I love Subaru and want to play a part in their transition to EVs. Also, I believe EVs are the next evolution in cars that are just plain more desirable all-around. Subaru owners as a group are fiercely loyal...
Ditto. Also the reason I paid somewhere around $2,000 for EyeSight in 2014, promote the development of the technology.

I also imagine how annoyed other manufacturers are that Subaru gets great sales with advertising that mostly doesn't include anything about their actual vehicles. Imagine showing someone a picture of a dog so they will buy your car -- hilarious.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All this speculation about the IRA and our potential $7500 tax credit is interesting to read but it's only speculation - we'll just have to wait and see how Treasury and IRS implement the rules. What we can do, as I have done, is write your U. S. Senators/Congresspeople and request their help in creating rules that benefit us. Since none of them voted for it you may not get as good a response from the Republicans but this is now the law and our elected representatives do want to solve problems for their constituents. The more of us they hear from the greater the pressure to act!

241 - 260 of 306 Posts