Subaru Solterra Forum banner

What would you do?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live in northern IL and when I was making reservation in Feb, all my local IL dealers were sold out. Fortunately, or so I thought, a dealer in Wisconsin where I had bought a 2016 Legacy from had an opening so I made my reservation and sat back pleased with myself.
Fast forward to yesterday after I placed my order for a Black Premium, somewhere on here I read that I had to buy the car in IL to take advantage of the new $4,000 IL tax rebate that begins in July. I dug into it and found the following, in section 275.200 in the IL 2022 rules of government agencies:
"3) Purchase a new or used electric vehicle in Illinois on or after July 1, 2022, from a dealership licensed by the Illinois Secretary of State and be the owner of the vehicle at the time the rebate is issued. Rented or leased vehicles, vehicles purchased from an out-of-state dealership, and vehicles delivered to or received by the purchaser out-of-state are not eligible for a rebate under this Act."
It didn't make sense so today I called the WI dealer, a local IL dealer, and Subaru customer service trying to move my pick up location or something. All of them told me there was nothing that could be done. SO, I basically have to take a $4k loss (relative I know) or get in the back of the line for a Solterra. The WI dealer is pushing me to make a choice ASAP like they will never be able to sell my car.
So I'll just leave this story here if anyone can learn from it, let me know if you have any thoughts. My biggest issue is not understanding why IL would care where I bought my car, if I pay tax/title/reg to IL at purchase, why does it matter? It's not like WI and IL are competing to build the cars or anything.
TL:DR: My Solterra might cost me more than planned, or I have to get in the back of the line and wait

·
Registered
131 Posts
My guess is the state made some sort of concession with the dealerships in IL. I know here in Ohio the dealerships wield far too much political power. For example, Tesla can only open three (3) retail stores in our entire state… it was a concession to the various Ohio dealerships who want to see any direct-sales model fail.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
186 Posts
So I'll just leave this story here if anyone can learn from it, let me know if you have any thoughts. My biggest issue is not understanding why IL would care where I bought my car, if I pay tax/title/reg to IL at purchase, why does it matter?
It's simple...they are supporting in-state businesses who pay taxes which in turn help fund that state rebate. It's not about licensing fees, etc...

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring, 2022 Kia Ev6
57 Posts
And, in Illinois’s case, the state makes it remarkably more difficult to understand the language of the bill when including new and used vehicles purchased at an Illinois dealership. The bill also prioritizes low income consumers which is an excellent initiative but is unrealistic until lower priced EVs come to market or used (and affordable) EVs are available. The lofty goal of 1,000,000 EVs on the road in the state by 2030 is admirable. So keeping the state tax rebate at $4000 for 4 years and then dwindling moving past 2026 is probably something that may need to be re-examined the closer we get to the first reduction date. But this year’s elections will go a long way into the long term viability of the EV movement.

·
Registered
341 Posts
And, in Illinois’s case, the state makes it remarkably more difficult to understand the language of the bill when including new and used vehicles purchased at an Illinois dealership. The bill also prioritizes low income consumers which is an excellent initiative but is unrealistic until lower priced EVs come to market or used (and affordable) EVs are available. The lofty goal of 1,000,000 EVs on the road in the state by 2030 is admirable. So keeping the state tax rebate at $4000 for 4 years and then dwindling moving past 2026 is probably something that may need to be re-examined the closer we get to the first reduction date. But this year’s elections will go a long way into the long term viability of the EV movement.
I missed the part where low-income consumers are prioritized. Is there an income cap, or does the value of the credit go down for higher-income consumers?

I signed up for IEPA's EV Listserve, but haven't received any updates yet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I missed the part where low-income consumers are prioritized. Is there an income cap, or does the value of the credit go down for higher-income consumers?

I signed up for IEPA's EV Listserve, but haven't received any updates yet.
sorry if this is formatted in a weird way.
Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Number

Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Document

Font Parallel Screenshot Document Number

·
Registered
341 Posts
sorry if this is formatted in a weird way.
No worries about formatting, that's the standard way proposed rule changes are written. Once the proposed rule change is adopted, the language will be much more readable.

I'm curious how "the Agency" (IEPA) will accomplish this, logistically (over what time period do they "bunch" applications, to make that determination): "In the event of insufficient fund availability, the Agency shall prioritize the review of qualified applications from low-income purchasers and award rebates to qualified purchasers accordingly."

·
Registered
57 Posts
No worries about formatting, that's the standard way proposed rule changes are written. Once the proposed rule change is adopted, the language will be much more readable.

I'm curious how "the Agency" (IEPA) will accomplish this, logistically (over what time period do they "bunch" applications, to make that determination): "In the event of insufficient fund availability, the Agency shall prioritize the review of qualified applications from low-income purchasers and award rebates to qualified purchasers accordingly."
My thoughts exactly. There’s a 90 day deadline from purchase to apply for the rebate. But the budget is set up for yearly limits. The review process leaves more questions. Will the state hold all rebate applications until years end and then determine who best qualifies?

Also, it’s hit or miss if Illinois dealerships have any knowledge on this process. But thanks for allocating the funds Illinois!

·
Registered
341 Posts
My thoughts exactly. There’s a 90 day deadline from purchase to apply for the rebate. But the budget is set up for yearly limits. The review process leaves more questions. Will the state hold all rebate applications until years end and then determine who best qualifies?

Also, it’s hit or miss if Illinois dealerships have any knowledge on this process. But thanks for allocating the funds Illinois!
I need to look at the rulemaking schedule, I'm not sure if the comment period had closed yet or not. If it hasn't, I'll be submitting comments addressing this particular ambiguity.

The way that section of the rule is written, it sounds more like the way laws are written than regulations.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I need to look at the rulemaking schedule, I'm not sure if the comment period had closed yet or not. If it hasn't, I'll be submitting comments addressing this particular ambiguity.

The way that section of the rule is written, it sounds more like the way laws are written than regulations.
Nuts, the 45-day comment period (after publication of the proposed rule in the Illinois Register, which was on February 25, 2022) ended April 11, 2022.

I can only hope that someone else (whose job it is to monitor things like this) noticed this ambiguity and commented on it.

I'll try to follow the rulemaking more closely from now on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts