Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I doubt there's a Solterra in my future, even though I had probably one of the first reservations in the nation at 8:56AM PST on Feb 8th. I have been trying really hard to like the Solterra, but unfortunately the colors and recurring costs are really driving a nail into the purchasing coffin.

Shortfalls (at least what I can think of off the top of my head)
No Dark Blue Mica, even though it's available in Japan
No Brown Interior, even though it's available in Japan
No Cargo Area Tie-downs
No Navigation System that works in remote locations
Huge display that says, "Subscribe"
No Navigation and other pay-for features without a continuous AT&T cell connection
No Towing
No Lockable Storage
Practically No Storage for emergency and cold weather equipment
Huge blind spots
No Power Passenger Seat, even in the highest trims
No indication of sound system capabilities or differences between trims
Small fonts and distance from driver make digital gauge cluster difficult to read (Lexus did a fantastic job with the dash of the RZ 450e, the bZ4X clone in case you didn't know)
No Rear Wiper; rear window will be continuously obscured (watch Arizona and snow testing in Japan videos) and only the Touring gets digital mirror that allows seeing behind vehicle with a dirty rear window (and a washer over the camera)
Dismal (nonexistent) customer communications throughout vehicle development as well as post-production (now)

Since Subaru setup a dedicated electric vehicle division at the beginning of the month, there will certainly be an acceptable "Real Subaru" EV in the next couple years, but I'm thinking in the near term Stellantis (Jeep) may mop the floor with Subaru in the off-road EV space if additional Subaru EV's continue to be partnerships with Toyota that ignore Subaru norms (and customer base).

There's also a huge story to be told in the amount of personal data being sent to Google as a result of the Toyota/Google relationship (as well as Volvo/Polestar). Google already productizes humans enough and actually paying them (via "required" subscriptions) to exploit people is something that should fundamentally be illegal.

·
Registered
120 Posts
While I agree and sympathize with you, my predicament is that I believe we're still 5 years away from an Outback Hybrid or PHEV, and probably 10 years away from an Outback EV. All things being said, the tax credits are here now, the state incentives are here now, and likely won't be in 5-10 years.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm still debating and will meet with my Subaru retailer in the morning and make a decision. There are definitely some trade-offs and I'm disappointed that the compromises on range and L2/DC charging speed didn't result in a lower price. If we end up ordering, the biggest reason will be getting Toyota's reliability along with (in our experience) great customer service from Subaru and our Subaru retailer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Alright. You can see the tie downs in any back of the car vid.

No navigation systems work in remote areas, unless you have the data stashed, like in Google Earth. They run off the cell system.

Sound system is Harmon Kardon on the Tech and Luxury models.

You have obviously not done your research. Please bail and let someone who wants the car have it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright. You can see the tie downs in any back of the car vid.

No navigation systems work in remote areas, unless you have the data stashed, like in Google Earth. They run off the cell system.

Sound system is Harmon Kardon on the Tech and Luxury models.

You have obviously not done your research. Please bail and let someone who wants the car have it.
There are no tie-downs -- only grocery bag hooks

ALL my vehicle navigation systems have never required a cell connection

Harmon Kardon is only cited as providing the speakers -- just as JBL is in the bZ4X, there is no power specification/amplification

You obviously have not comprehended the grammar

·
Registered
92 Posts
There are no tie-downs -- only grocery bag hooks

ALL my vehicle navigation systems have never required a cell connection

Harmon Kardon is only cited as providing the speakers -- just as JBL is in the bZ4X, there is no power specification/amplification

You obviously have not comprehended the grammar
Speakers: Premium 11-speaker Harman Kardon® system with subwoofer and amplifier

Certainly a Garmin type based system can live of the satellites, it just needs GPS. You can do the same on a Google Earth setup, with the data stashed.

I can quote my Dealer Product Informaion Guide if you have other questions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone tried to negotiate a price LESS than MSRP, given the perceived shortcomings? I find it odd that everyone is just so relieved to get MSRP.
If I understand you correctly, you hear people getting sale orders in at MSRP?

I doubt that there is any negotiating room, considering that you have to pay near or sticker on a regular, "uncompromised" Subaru (heavy sarcasm here in response to the first poster). But I am heading to my dealer over the weekend to build a sale order and can update on what transpired.

In all seriousness, I kind of feel for the first guy. Personally, I couldn't care less about most points, but the lack of rear wiper bugs me on a visceral level (Seattle area rain 8 months a year - what were they thinking?) However, there is a distinct possibility that a coupe of years on, even this price might feel like a bargain considering that dollar will soon be not worth the paper it is printed on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, people are getting MSRP without additional dealer markup. I still have to contact my dealer, but I'm not paying more than that.

I'm also in the Seattle area, and I'm really disappointed that this didn't come in at less than $45,000, which would have saved me $2,000 in sales tax because of the partial WA sales tax exemption for EVs. The only way to get <$45k is with the base model and the $0 paint option. Even adding just white paint will throw you over the $45k.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Personally, I couldn't care less about most points, but the lack of rear wiper bugs me on a visceral level (Seattle area rain 8 months a year - what were they thinking?)
I think I'll prefer the digital rear-view mirror, which is on the touring trim, since it provides an unobstructed view. Hope the rain doesn't blur the camera feed like I've seen sometimes on my Outback backup camera.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i actually prefer car play over anything they would provide. just curious how much cold weather and emergency equipment you carry that it won’t fit in the back. not Happy with color options as don’t like grey anything.
- can probably get beyond that. But the lack of a rear wiper seems like a huge miss. but still the deal breaker
will be charge rate and range. hope they improve

I doubt there's a Solterra in my future, even though I had probably one of the first reservations in the nation at 8:56AM PST on Feb 8th. I have been trying really hard to like the Solterra, but unfortunately the colors and recurring costs are really driving a nail into the purchasing coffin.

Shortfalls (at least what I can think of off the top of my head)
No Dark Blue Mica, even though it's available in Japan
No Brown Interior, even though it's available in Japan
No Cargo Area Tie-downs
No Navigation System that works in remote locations
Huge display that says, "Subscribe"
No Navigation and other pay-for features without a continuous AT&T cell connection
No Towing
No Lockable Storage
Practically No Storage for emergency and cold weather equipment
Huge blind spots
No Power Passenger Seat, even in the highest trims
No indication of sound system capabilities or differences between trims
Small fonts and distance from driver make digital gauge cluster difficult to read (Lexus did a fantastic job with the dash of the RZ 450e, the bZ4X clone in case you didn't know)
No Rear Wiper; rear window will be continuously obscured (watch Arizona and snow testing in Japan videos) and only the Touring gets digital mirror that allows seeing behind vehicle with a dirty rear window (and a washer over the camera)
Dismal (nonexistent) customer communications throughout vehicle development as well as post-production (now)

Since Subaru setup a dedicated electric vehicle division at the beginning of the month, there will certainly be an acceptable "Real Subaru" EV in the next couple years, but I'm thinking in the near term Stellantis may mop the floor with Subaru in the off-road EV space if additional Subaru EV's continue to be partnerships with Toyota that ignore Subaru norms (and customer base).

There's also a huge story to be told in the amount of personal data being sent to Google as a result of the Toyota/Google relationship (as well as Volvo/Polestar). Google already productizes humans enough and actually paying them (via "required" subscriptions) to exploit people is something that should fundamentally be illegal.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not that there's no room in the back to pile stuff in, it's just that there's no where to store stuff that is normally packed in my cars, and the further you go away from town the more stuff you need to bring (and maybe that flat tire won't cause any problems). In almost every other car I've had there's plenty of under floor or under seat storage to stash things like first aid kits, a fire extinguisher, bungee cords, handheld radio, etc. I was laughing at some of the videos where people fly-in to review the Solterra or bZ4X and they have stuff flying around in the back destroying the plastic back there. They all say something like, "Oh we need to stop and strap that down." Unfortunately, there's no tie-downs so they can't strap luggage or bags down so they either throw them in the back seat or you just hear them sliding around and banging into stuff the rest of the review.

·
60 Posts
Although this does seem like a strange design decision, I honestly can't tell you the last time I locked my glove compartment... and the last time I needed something to be in my glove compartment vs. at the bottom of the storage area under the arm-rest, for example.
My center storage area in my Forester is full of fast food napkins, pens, and more fast food napkins. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Although this does seem like a strange design decision, I honestly can't tell you the last time I locked my glove compartment... and the last time I needed something to be in my glove compartment vs. at the bottom of the storage area under the arm-rest, for example.
Not having a locking glove box is a non-factor for me. If someone is willing to break into my car, they’re going to be willing to take a crowbar to my glove box. It’s not like a locking glovebox is similar to an in-room hotel safe…

·
Registered
186 Posts
I suspect fewer people will really notice (be impacted by) the absence of a glove compartment as much as the absence of a spare tire. I also can't remember the last time I used a spare tire. I think maybe it was 2004?
This was not in any of the Subaru documentation I read, but does the Solterra have run-flat tires? I remember reading something about a tire inflator being part of the equipment, but that doesn't really help if the tire is completely flat. I currently have a 2013 Mini Countryman that also does not have a spare tire, let alone a car jack and I ended up special ordering a BMW tire sealant and inflator from Germany - but the Mini has run-flat tires.

·
Registered
144 Posts
This was not in any of the Subaru documentation I read, but does the Solterra have run-flat tires? I remember reading something about a tire inflator being part of the equipment, but that doesn't really help if the tire is completely flat. I currently have a 2013 Mini Countryman that also does not have a spare tire, let alone a car jack and I ended up special ordering a BMW tire sealant and inflator from Germany - but the Mini has run-flat tires.
I’ve heard that some EVs have flat-tire kits that use an extra canister that will temporarily “plug” a hole before using another canister that will then inflate. I could be mistaken…

1 - 20 of 45 Posts