• No.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I'm about to bust...

Votes: 7 30.4%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm really torn between keeping my (beloved and really cute) 2019 BMW i3 at lease-end and getting the Solterra (Subaru # 5). I'd like quite a bit more range than the 153 miles I have now. I'm not sure if 225-ish is "enough more" to seal the deal. I'm also not sure I like/love the alternatives that do have more than 225-ish miles of range (EV6, and others).

What I'd LOVE to do is keep the i3 and have the Solterra replace the 2021 Outback, but I'm not sure the projected range will make that realistic (we like to drive places where "public charging" isn't a thing). Also, the Outback is my wife's car, so she'd have to be on board (did I mention that she always takes MY car whenever she has to go somewhere, so long as it's not a long out-of-town trip?).

·
Registered
30 Posts
According to the Inside EVs podcast and the Out of Spec reviews YT site where they have done extensive EV6 and Ioniq5 range tests, these two models both have around 200 to 225 mile useable range on the highway with better than that in mixed or city driving.
What's giving me pause in general about BEVs is the cold weather performance - this is likely going to push us to compromising for the next vehicle and getting a PHEV instead and waiting to see how the infrastructure builds out and how battery performance proves to perform.

·
103 Posts
I will eventually own a BEV, and hate Tesla (Musk). The other offerings of late are mostly exorbitantly priced or have a waitlist years long. I thought this might be an opportunity to jump on the boat, but the more I learn about the vehicle and the process - including a likely ADM - the less I like it. I was actually thinking of starting a "cons" thread since many seem to be appearing about individual gripes (no rear wiper, no spare tire, range, etc).

At this point, a week after placing my reservation, I'm pretty much convinced that I will end up canceling it at some point. I don't need a new car, especially one with a bunch of compromises and limitations over my ICE Subaru - which is paid off. I usually keep cars 10 years, and I still have 5 more to go on this current one.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will eventually own a BEV, and hate Tesla (Musk). The other offerings of late are mostly exorbitantly priced or have a waitlist years long. I thought this might be an opportunity to jump on the boat, but the more I learn about the vehicle and the process - including a likely ADM - the less I like it. I was actually thinking of starting a "cons" thread since many seem to be appearing about individual gripes (no rear wiper, no spare tire, range, etc).

At this point, a week after placing my reservation, I'm pretty much convinced that I will end up canceling it at some point. I don't need a new car, especially one with a bunch of compromises and limitations over my ICE Subaru - which is paid off. I usually keep cars 10 years, and I still have 5 more to go on this current one.
Get the car! I just sold my Bronco at a small profit...

·
103 Posts
I actually had a Bronco reservation (late), and delay after delay after delay, ADM's, other bad dealership behavior, and the way Ford handled the whole thing made me drop my reservation. I don't know if I would have had one by now, but probably not. As you may be starting to see, I don't deal with BS well when it comes to my money. Unfortunately I seem to be in the minority, and there is another sucker waiting to take my place when I get out of line, and here we are.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring, 2022 Kia Ev6
57 Posts
I haven’t responded to the poll yet because, like others here, my research never stops and it leaves me pause with each vehicle that’s out there, each in their own way. If I put odds on things, I’d say there’s a 100% chance we buy an EV in the next 6 months with a 75% chance that it’s the Solterra. The vehicle will replace a 10 year old CR-V of which we’ve been the sole owners, it’s treated us great but it’s time to join the modern-ish age.
After spending the time with it at the auto show, I have a list of concerns that have caused me to expand the vehicle search. But weighing ADMs and with the Solterra in mind has been tough without Subaru’s prices.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I haven’t responded to the poll yet because, like others here, my research never stops and it leaves me pause with each vehicle that’s out there, each in their own way. If I put odds on things, I’d say there’s a 100% chance we buy an EV in the next 6 months with a 75% chance that it’s the Solterra. The vehicle will replace a 10 year old CR-V of which we’ve been the sole owners, it’s treated us great but it’s time to join the modern-ish age.
After spending the time with it at the auto show, I have a list of concerns that have caused me to expand the vehicle search. But weighing ADMs and with the Solterra in mind has been tough without Subaru’s prices.
Alas, ADMs are not confined to the Solterra. Rampant at Kia dealerships for the EV6, and other newly released EVs.

We really need to know how the pricing will work out!

One thing that has pleasantly surprised me about the Solterra is its size. I was expecting something smaller, but dimensionally at least it's really close to some of my alternatives, particularly the EV6 and the Q4 e-tron.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
186 Posts
One thing that has pleasantly surprised me about the Solterra is its size. I was expecting something smaller, but dimensionally at least it's really close to some of my alternatives, particularly the EV6 and the Q4 e-tron.
Yes, they did a really good job with both exterior and interior dimensions, especially the latter. The longer wheelbase will be nice for comfort and with the wheels pushed to the corners, that is nice for interior comfort.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Alas, ADMs are not confined to the Solterra. Rampant at Kia dealerships for the EV6, and other newly released EVs.

We really need to know how the pricing will work out!

Pricing is where it all tells the tale. I already have confirmation that my Subie dealership has no markups or add ons for the Solterra. The EV6 is the option and if it weren’t for the ADMs, I probably would have cancelled my Solterra reservation. But after contacting 8 local(ish) dealerships, the lowest dealer markup has been $5k. Tough to swallow with the possibility of a much better deal with the Solterra. But with the EV6 wind AWD at roughly $53k and the rumored price points of the Solterra, a Touring Solterra still might be cheaper than a mid level EV6.
Styling is in the eye of the consumer and KiA/Hyundai has been strong on that front, but even with the Solterra’s quirks, essentially being a Toyota with Subaru traits and badging really isn’t all that bad. The lower range, slower charging speed and interesting driving view are my qualms, but might be nothing once owning.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Pricing is where it all tells the tale. I already have confirmation that my Subie dealership has no markups or add ons for the Solterra. The EV6 is the option and if it weren’t for the ADMs, I probably would have cancelled my Solterra reservation. But after contacting 8 local(ish) dealerships, the lowest dealer markup has been $5k. Tough to swallow with the possibility of a much better deal with the Solterra. But with the EV6 wind AWD at roughly $53k and the rumored price points of the Solterra, a Touring Solterra still might be cheaper than a mid level EV6.
Styling is in the eye of the consumer and KiA/Hyundai has been strong on that front, but even with the Solterra’s quirks, essentially being a Toyota with Subaru traits and badging really isn’t all that bad. The lower range, slower charging speed and interesting driving view are my qualms, but might be nothing once owning.
Agree 100%.

I don't know if Bloomington is local-ish enough for you, but "my sales guy" at the Kia dealership there told me their ADM was $3,000. That may be more than you're willing to pay.

That said, they don't yet have any EV6s. They have a Wind RWD that was due in yesterday (but may have been delayed by weather) that was unsold when I last checked (RWD is a hard no for me). They have 3 more due in on the 25th, all AWD (1 Wind, 2 GT-Lines) but all three were already sold as of 2/4/2022. But I'm sure they have more on the way.

I'm in no rush, willing to wait until July-August, hoping maybe the ADM situation will have improved by then, for the EV6 at least. If not, it will make the Solterra more attractive by comparison (all else being equal, I'd rather have a Subaru, even a Toyobaru, over a Kia).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Agree 100%.

I don't know if Bloomington is local-ish enough for you, but "my sales guy" at the Kia dealership there told me their ADM was $3,000. That may be more than you're willing to pay.

That said, they don't yet have any EV6s. They have a Wind RWD that was due in yesterday (but may have been delayed by weather) that was unsold when I last checked (RWD is a hard no for me). They have 3 more due in on the 25th, all AWD (1 Wind, 2 GT-Lines) but all three were already sold as of 2/4/2022. But I'm sure they have more on the way.

I'm in no rush, willing to wait until July-August, hoping maybe the ADM situation will have improved by then, for the EV6 at least. If not, it will make the Solterra more attractive by comparison (all else being equal, I'd rather have a Subaru, even a Toyobaru, over a Kia).
Thanks for the info. I’m in the Chicagoland area, so 2 hours isn’t that bad to travel.

I’ve let the dealerships I’ve talked with know that I’m waiting until the pricing comes out on the Solterra and bz4x, which kind of throws them for a loop because I’m not drooling over their car. I’ve read that some of the dealerships are setting their markups at $10k and using it as a negotiable part of the purchase. Apparently someone is paying it, so why wouldn’t they?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks for the info. I’m in the Chicagoland area, so 2 hours isn’t that bad to travel.

I’ve let the dealerships I’ve talked with know that I’m waiting until the pricing comes out on the Solterra and bz4x, which kind of throws them for a loop because I’m not drooling over their car. I’ve read that some of the dealerships are setting their markups at $10k and using it as a negotiable part of the purchase. Apparently someone is paying it, so why wouldn’t they?
I've yet to actually see an EV6 up closer than on the turntable at least year's Chicago Auto Show. I was initially interested in the Niro EV, as a reasonably priced alternative to buying out my i3 at lease end (and be eligible for the $7,500 FTC), but it really did nothing for me. That's when I began talking with them about the EV6.

Then the reservations were opened for the Solterra, and it would be available in all 50 states (I wasn't expecting that), so that is now my top choice - subject to pricing. I haven't seen anything yet that's a real dealbreaker, though there are a few things that give me pause...

But no car is perfect, and the prospect of paying over MSRP for any car would give me "more pause". Of all the cars I've been looking at over the last 12 months, the Solterra comes the closest to exciting me. I had a reservation for an ID4 AWD, but canceled it after a rather "meh" extended test drive (48-hour).

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have been following a number of media outlets and the consensus over and over seems to be that the range will be $37,000 starting price to $42,000 before destination/taxes and any Fed rebates.
$42k would seem low to me for the Touring, given pricing on the Outback and Forester, plus that's only $5k over the $37k starting price. Assuming the $37k starting price is correct, I bet the Touring comes in closer to $46k, the Limited maybe $41-42k.

That said, the $37k starting point seems a bit optimistic. The Crosstrek PHEV starts at $35.6k, and it only qualifies for a $4,502 federal tax credit. I doubt the entry level Solterra would be more affordable than the Crosstrek PHEV after the federal tax credit.

·
Registered
344 Posts

I'm going to check out the EV6 Wind RWD in Bloomington on Tuesday (unless they sell it before then). I'm not looking for RWD, but I'd like to be able to see how the car feels/rides/handles (realizing that adding the front motor will greatly enhance the performance). There's a lot to be said for seeing something in person vs. looking at photos and watching YouTubes.

I'm secretly hoping I don't like it so that I can focus on getting the Solterra! Too many balls up in the air, I'm really trying to pare down my choices. Who ever imagined there'd be "too many EV choices"?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
186 Posts
JayEM, things are hot right now in this specific segment of the EV marketplace with Toyota, Subaru, Lexus, Hyundai, Kia, Nissan and VW all having new products out or about to be out that will be very competitive with each other. So good luck trying to whittle down the list! LOL

·
Registered
344 Posts
JayEM, things are hot right now in this specific segment of the EV marketplace with Toyota, Subaru, Lexus, Hyundai, Kia, Nissan and VW all having new products out or about to be out that will be very competitive with each other. So good luck trying to whittle down the list! LOL
You make a good point. I've been able to eliminate some choices on purely subjective grounds (Ioniq 5 - aesthetics, (inside and out), ID.4 - aesthetics (inside, too plasticky) and function (UI/UX)). Likewise bZ4X and Ariya - don't like the local Toyota/Nissan dealership. Actually, the local Toyota/ Nissan/ VW/ Hyundai/ Kia and Subaru dealerships are all owned by the same company, but we have a quasi-local Subaru dealership that we really like.

It's going to be tough "culling the herd" so to speak, but that's a good thing.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got on "several" reservation wait lists, as well as the max two reservations.

Now, I'm getting a spate of calls from those dealers that Subaru has released a batch of cars for order, this month.

I'm thinking I'm "on order" with one dealer for my original $250 ...but have never gotten any paperwork.
I may go by one of those close by dealers and make a $1K deposit to be sure I get one Solterra. The whole point is that this month Solterra's are relatively easy to order. This may likely go away soon, though...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got on "several" reservation wait lists, as well as the max two reservations.

Now, I'm getting a spate of calls from those dealers that Subaru has released a batch of cars for order, this month.

I'm thinking I'm "on order" with one dealer for my original $250 ...but have never gotten any paperwork.
I may go by one of those close by dealers and make a $1K deposit to be sure I get one Solterra. The whole point is that this month Solterra's are relatively easy to order. This may likely go away soon, though...
My local Subaru dealer told me that they expect to get 1 - just 1 - Solterra for the rest of calendar 2022. He didn't expect drastically more in 2023. I am really not inclined to buy a car with so little experience out there. It's going to be a long wait till Solterras are a relatively normal thing.

I had been thinking I don't want to wait that long, but I have serious doubts that an ID.4 or Ioniq 5 will get me to my favorite trailhead on some rougher Forest Service roads. An Audi probably would but I am retired and will not get the full value of the Federal credit unless they convert it. Oregon does have a great credit too - but I wanted both. :)

But at least the local dealer doesn't do ADMs. I got my Crosstrek Sport last year at the peak of the shortage (they had ZERO cars in the showroom that weren't pre-sold) at MSRP and the Forester I traded in brought thousands more than I paid for it 2.5 years and 20,000 miles ago. They listed that used Forester (absolute barebones trim) for $27K. Don't know what they got.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts