Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HOA just sent out the annual budget, another year of raising the dues.... And a new 'proposal' to how the HOA treats EV Charging Stations being installed into our Condos. Which is now to be treated as an 'Architectural Change'. i.e. need board approval via application, permits, insurance riders, etc...

They cleverly worded it to only include your 'input' on this next agenda item.... i.e. they've already got it set to sign off on it at the next meeting, regardless of homeowner opinion.

Besides the normal permits from the city to install one....

• No plugging an EVCS into a current wall socket, unless owner can demonstrate it won't melt / burn the unit down. (Subject to interpretation by the board of course)
  • No DIY installations... (Unless licensed contractor with $1M+ liability insurance)
  • Owner may be required to use a structural engineer, at their own expense, to determine if the structure of the Condo can support the EVCS.
  • Owner must carry a separate $1M homeowner insurance rider WITH the HOA as an additional insured entity. AND have it recorded with the County Clerk.
  • Owner must have subsequent owners acceptance to all responsibilities with sale.
  • HOA has the right to inspect and remove EVCS if deemed 'dangerous' after installation.

That's just the main bullets... But you get the idea.

Condo phases were built 1987-1989... They definitely were not thinking of EV back then. lol

But seriously this is some NIMBY 'We are going to make you jump through hoops to have a proper EVCS at home'... :mad:

I won't even share the the steps needed to install solar panels....

C.

Reactions: PebbleSoul

·
Administrator
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Definitely something to think about for those who have 'creative' HOA boards...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
240 Posts
^^ This.....

That is you-know-whatting ridiculous! I'm guessing that all the board members are likely "anti EV" in multiple ways so this is a way for them to assert themselves.

·
103 Posts
Most states have legislation preventing condo associations and HOA's from not allowing owners installing satellite dishes and solar. EVCS need to get added to that list.

Dicks need to stop being on the boards. I will never live in an HOA community ever again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My HOA just sent out the annual budget, another year of raising the dues.... And a new 'proposal' to how the HOA treats EV Charging Stations being installed into our Condos. Which is now to be treated as an 'Architectural Change'. i.e. need board approval via application, permits, insurance riders, etc...

They cleverly worded it to only include your 'input' on this next agenda item.... i.e. they've already got it set to sign off on it at the next meeting, regardless of homeowner opinion.

Besides the normal permits from the city to install one....

• No plugging an EVCS into a current wall socket, unless owner can demonstrate it won't melt / burn the unit down. (Subject to interpretation by the board of course)
  • No DIY installations... (Unless licensed contractor with $1M+ liability insurance)
  • Owner may be required to use a structural engineer, at their own expense, to determine if the structure of the Condo can support the EVCS.
  • Owner must carry a separate $1M homeowner insurance rider WITH the HOA as an additional insured entity. AND have it recorded with the County Clerk.
  • Owner must have subsequent owners acceptance to all responsibilities with sale.
  • HOA has the right to inspect and remove EVCS if deemed 'dangerous' after installation.

That's just the main bullets... But you get the idea.

Condo phases were built 1987-1989... They definitely were not thinking of EV back then. lol

But seriously this is some NIMBY 'We are going to make you jump through hoops to have a proper EVCS at home'... :mad:

I won't even share the the steps needed to install solar panels....

C.
It sounds like your HOA Board simply took the standard language which is contained in California's legislation (and maybe other states now as well?) requiring HOA boards to allow charging stations in HOAs so long as the owner installs the charging station in a responsible way. If your HOA Board got legal advice, which they should have, this is the language which they would have been advised to adopt.

Living in HOAs can be annoying. It requires individual owners to be accountable for the impacts they will have on their neighbors. But, having spent my time in HOAs, it's better than the alternative, where people have no regard for their neighbors.

·
103 Posts
Living in HOAs can be annoying. It requires individual owners to be accountable for the impacts they will have on their neighbors. But, having spent my time in HOAs, it's better than the alternative, where people have no regard for their neighbors.
I guess it depends upon the individual HOA. What I have found is that they tend to be overly micro-managerial as far as ARC goes, but completely drop the ball as far as enforcing covenants. The goal of an HOA is threefold: Manage common areas and finances, provide services to residents, and protect property values. These are vague enough that individuals in charge can make HOA neighborhoods a living hell or worthless endeavors.

Personally, I don't care if my neighbor's house is purple, but I do greatly care about a good Quality of life - which for me is peace and quiet. Out where I am in the foothills, the HOA docs mention strict noise and lighting standards, but they have never been enforced - well none have been enforced actually. This is fiduciary breach of contract, and is actionable in court, but is rare, risky, and you are essentially suing yourself. To makes things worse, the neighborhood has become quite expensive, and the people with money think they can do whatever they want, and end up getting away with it due to essentially zero enforcement. The HOA Board of Directors is a clique popularity contest, with corruption and pet projects. If I wasn't stuck in the middle of a giant renovation, I would have left long ago.

·
Administrator
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The next one is the April 28th.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Live in a HOA. Our board is charging a $4,000 access fee to connect to the building electricity. You need to use their electrician to install at ~$1,500 and then $600 annually in electricity charges. If you move and the new owner doesn’t want the charger, you have to pay the 1500 to have in uninstalled and you don’t get your access fee back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That seems fairly reasonable, given that the building's electric system is community property. (I assume you're talking about some sort of a condo, not a neighborhood of detached single-family dwellings with an HOA). The $1500 for a charger install is not ridiculous, and the $600/year for electricity could actually be a bargain depending on what vehicle/vehicles you're charging and how much electricity costs in your area.

The access fee is a little high, but part of that is probably because the HOA assumes legal liability for equipment connected to the building's electricity. If your charger starts a fire, the HOA will end up paying ...

The thing that seems wrong to me is the uninstall mandate - I'm pretty sure you should be able to make the charger part of the sales contract so that the new owners of your unit assume ownership of the charger - whether they want it or not. Then if the new owners really don't want it, they can pay to have it uninstalled. The sales price of your unit will of course have the added value of the charger built into it - you should be able to get a premium above other units that don't come with a charger. I know from recent experience that a property with a charger already installed not only sells for more but also sells quicker - a lot of people are looking for this feature and don't want the hassle of doing themselves!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Live in a HOA. Our board is charging a $4,000 access fee to connect to the building electricity. You need to use their electrician to install at ~$1,500 and then $600 annually in electricity charges. If you move and the new owner doesn’t want the charger, you have to pay the 1500 to have in uninstalled and you don’t get your access fee back.
I don't know about the electicians cost, but what is the justification for $4k access fee? $600/yr is high too for my rates. A meter would make more sense. Get involved.

·
Administrator
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So yeah.... tried to log in with the given Zoom credentials... Gave up after 30 minutes of sitting on 'hold' to be let into the meeting. No clue where the board was actually meeting that night. Knowing those on the board, definitely not at the property mgmt office. :cautious:

Received this little diddly from our contact at the property mgmt office...

"...Thank you for your email. I apologize that you were not able to get into the Zoom meeting.
After reviewing the comments received from the membership regarding the EVCS Policy, the Board placed a hold on the policy at this time. The Board will further discuss at the May 26th meeting..."

I know they heard a mouthful from the neighbors regarding this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts