Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m sure we will get some more info on about 2 months or so when they announce MSRP. I too am curious about whether or not it will have a heat pump or some mech to help guard against cold weather drainage. I would assume (and hope) that a vehicle that is selling itself as a rugged, all-terrain, all-weather vehicle would have this but who knows

·
Registered
429 Posts
I’m sure we will get some more info on about 2 months or so when they announce MSRP. I too am curious about whether or not it will have a heat pump or some mech to help guard against cold weather drainage. I would assume (and hope) that a vehicle that is selling itself as a rugged, all-terrain, all-weather vehicle would have this but who knows
Given how many Subarus are sold in cold climate states, it's hard to believe they would not include a heat pump as standard, but as you say, who knows. We'll have to wait for more details to come out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Whats the purpose of the heat pump?
Is it only for cabin warmth? or will it also be used as part of pre-conditioning of cold batteries prior to or part of charging?

·
Registered
8 Posts
It keeps the battery packs warm in cold weather so that you don’t lose as much charge. They are susceptible to the same kind of power reduction that lead acid batteries encounter in cold temps

·
Registered
429 Posts
Whats the purpose of the heat pump?
Is it only for cabin warmth? or will it also be used as part of pre-conditioning of cold batteries prior to or part of charging?
The heat pump is a more efficient way of providing heat to the battery pack and the cabin. The alternative is resistance heating which is much less efficient, except at extremely low temperatures.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It keeps the battery packs warm in cold weather so that you don’t lose as much charge. They are susceptible to the same kind of power reduction that lead acid batteries encounter in cold temps
I thought the heat pump was specifically for HVAC and that heating the battery was done by the coolant system?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I thought the heat pump was specifically for HVAC and that heating the battery was done by the coolant system?
The heat pump does it more efficiently than resistive heating would do it, if not equipped with a heat pump. The coolant system is simply the way the heat provided by the heat pump (or resistive heating) is distributed to the battery pack and passenger compartment.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The heat pump does it more efficiently than resistive heating would do it, if not equipped with a heat pump. The coolant system is simply the way the heat provided by the heat pump (or resistive heating) is distributed to the battery pack and passenger compartment.
Has anyone managed to ferret out where the heat pump is actually located? I’ve watched a number of reviews, etc., but I haven’t been able to spot anything that looks like a heat pump.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
196 Posts
Crumas, it might not look anything like what a traditional home-based heat pump looks like and there may be different components located in different places, too. It's not surprising to me that this technology is being integrated into EVs...the HVAC industry's experience and development with very high efficiency solutions like mini-splits is a natural carry over into these "more portable" small solutions for heating/cooling/dehumidification, IMHO. They use a fraction of the power that older tech used for that while providing better comfort at the same time.

·
Registered
429 Posts
@Crumas, it's almost certainly upfront in the "engine compartment", probably buried out of sight somewhere. Whether it's a distinct unit from the air conditioner isn't clear. Since it's not belt-driven, as it would be in an ICE car (not that an ICE would need one), it's probably pretty indistinguishable from the brake booster, and the coolant pump (and the A/C if that's a separate thing).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Crumas, it might not look anything like what a traditional home-based heat pump looks like and there may be different components located in different places, too. It's not surprising to me that this technology is being integrated into EVs...the HVAC industry's experience and development with very high efficiency solutions like mini-splits is a natural carry over into these "more portable" small solutions for heating/cooling/dehumidification, IMHO. They use a fraction of the power that older tech used for that while providing better comfort at the same time.
I have a friend who owns a Tesla, and apparently it’s either not readily visible or it looks nothing like the Tesla heat pump. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Putting that question upfront again. Didn't see any mention of the Heat Pump (Canadian or US versions) in the latest info coming out. We can see lists of features now, but no heat pump is mentioned. Has anybody seen anything new?

·
Registered
371 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts