Subaru Solterra Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
There is a couple great videos on YouTube showing the Solterra and bZ4X both in red side by side in good sunlight. It’s definitely a nice red.
I'm sure it is, but after 3.5 years with a very distinctive red car (distinctive car, distinctive color) I'm ready for something a little more anonymous! I'm sure I'll ensure seeing red Solterras around - though that will likely take a long time.

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
333 Posts
In this shot the red looks great, but I've never seen one in person and the photos on the SoA website are much less appealing, IMO.
Our Kona was red, and besides standing out in a parking lot, it couldn't be missed on the road, too. After we sold it all our driving now is with our Cool Grey Khaki (light blue) Crosstrek. And I have noticed that cars don't always see me in roundabouts and lane changes. So I have had to be extra vigilant with my defensive driving. My wife said she has noticed this as well.

Car Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Hood

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
Our Kona was red, and besides standing out in a parking lot, it couldn't be missed on the road, too. After we sold it all our driving now is with our Cool Grey Khaki (light blue) Crosstrek. And I have noticed that cars don't always see me in roundabouts and lane changes. So I have had to be extra vigilant with my defensive driving. My wife said she has noticed this as well.

View attachment 1239
View attachment 1240
Ooh, good points!

·
Registered
111 Posts
So the bluish gray is what I want, not some kind of powder-puff blue. I forgot about the Driving Sports review. That's a nice color.

I also like his comment about S pedal mode, "Yeah, not a fan."
Just be open minded. I wouldn’t be so annoying if OPD wasn’t a really great experience.

·
Registered
484 Posts
...our Cool Grey Khaki (light blue) Crosstrek...that cars don't always see...
Almost every time we see a light blue car my wife starts off on stories about her mom's light blue car when she was growing up (that she drove as well). It got hit, and almost hit, so many times from people "not seeing it". I'm pretty sure there are responsible studies (that I read decades ago) showing light blue tends to get ignored by drivers and "cause" more accidents than any other color. :)

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
333 Posts
Almost every time we see a light blue car my wife starts off on stories about her mom's light blue car when she was growing up (that she drove as well). It got hit, and almost hit, so many times from people "not seeing it". I'm pretty sure there are responsible studies (that I read decades ago) showing light blue tends to get ignored by drivers and "cause" more accidents than any other color. :)
Well, from my recent experience now (and my wife's), this does seem to be true. I think it may depend on the weather at the moment, too. Here in Vancouver, it often rains or is gloomy at this time of year.

I am also a pilot, and we like planes that are easy to spot to avoid a mid-air. So am very familiar with this subject. Red or lime green work very well.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I am also a pilot, and we like planes that are easy to spot to avoid a mid-air. So am very familiar with this subject. Red or lime green work very well.
Yep, I drove Blackhawks for a lot of years and flew in some haze gray helicopters before that, so visibility and ways around it are a very familiar subject. :)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
273 Posts
It's kinda normal for vehicle colors to be noticeably affected by lighting conditions. The photos can make it seem more dramatic, but that's because multiple cameras in multiple lighting conditions with variable/different white balance settings during the shot as well as in post processing. My vehicle previous to the Ascent was a MY12 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit in a color called "winter chill"...a light blue pearl coat. That ride had a "visual color range" from silver to almost purplish, depending on the angle of the sun or whether in shade as well as with the time of day. I expect that Harbor Mist is going to be "that way" just like any other color. I will say that I happen to like it and could envision buying a Solterra in that color even though I have a greater pull toward whites.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree that color preference is a very personal thing, and what appeals to one buyer may be very off-putting to another. Color is like that for me. I have a definite preference for "spectral" colors (ie not blacks, whites and grays) in darker colors. I personally, would never buy either a white or a black car.

But for those of you who DO like white or light gray cars, for Heaven's sake, turn on your freaking headlights in fog or mist. Otherwise you car just blends in, making you really hard to see.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Um, in Canada it was 1989 when daytime headlights were required. My Mark VIII a 93 vehicle had them, and my Sammy an 87 vehicle, does not. So almost everyone has their daytime headlights on, all the time in Canada.

·
Registered
484 Posts
But not necessarily their taillights.
Yep, I always thought there should be some form of red lights on the back of a vehicle when DRL are on. It would also help out dramatically when all the people that keep their interior lights on full brightness so, aside from reducing their night vision, they can't tell at night when they don't have their headlights on (because some lights are still manual and DRL are so bright many people don't notice their lights aren't on). There have been so many nights I've come up on a vehicle driving completely dark (and slow because they probably can't see well) and I don't see them until I get really close. Super dangerous.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That was how I knew it was time for my mother to stop driving, I agreed to drive her to an event in her car one night. I turned the headlights on, and she freaked out, "Wait, what just happened? Something's not right!" Yeah, Mom, I just turned the headlights on. So what you're saying is that you've been driving all over town at night without headlights....

I really wish DRLs were mandatory in the US. I've had guys selling me light bulbs at Autoparts stores getting all superior because of how fast Subarus go through headlight bulbs.

Now if we can only figure out a way for cars to FORCE the driver to stop for a red light / stop sign and not drive in the passing lane...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts