Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The global distribution of model sales for fiscal year ending 31 March 2021 doesn't yield any shocking data, but it was still of some interest to me. The Ascent is made in Indiana and not sold in Japan. A small 1.2% end up in "other countries" outside of Japan, Europe, Australia, China, and Russia. The Legacy & Outback are considered the same model in the Subaru annual report, despite one being classified as car and the other a truck by the EPA. The WRX is popular in Japan and in other countries (of course). Impreza's and Crosstek's are also considered the same model (also the EPA considers one a car and the other a truck. Foresters have popularity in China and Russia. The Forester is the only Subaru SUV sold in Europe. A tiny precentage of Levorgs are sold in Europe.
USA & CanadaJapanModel
98.8%​
0.0%​
Ascent​
90.7%​
1.2%​
Legacy | Outback​
81.6%​
10.7%​
WRX​
77.2%​
12.0%​
Impreza | Crosstrek​
72.5%​
8.9%​
Forester​
59.0%​
20.5%​
BRZ​
0.0%​
98.0%​
Levorg​
76.9%​
11.8%​
Total Sales

It really makes me wonder if the Solterra is going to sell well outside of Northern America. It seems like Toyota has the overwhelming infrastructure both in Japan, Europe, and elsewhere around the world. So while I certainly expect bZ4X sales to be larger than Solterra sales in the US, it looks like the Solterra will be swamped in other parts of the world. I am wondering if it will even be available in places like Europe.

It wasn't always this way. When Subaru begain to move away from Japan, initially they moved in Europe, Australia, and other parts of the world. But they had their greatest success in the US.
FY March 2009GeographicFY March 2010
59%​
Japan​
36%​
38%​
US & Ca​
44%​
3%​
Other​
20%​

·
Administrator
158 Posts
Not true for the Forester being the only SUV in Europe. Outbacks are available.... And quite a few people are starting to import the Ascent.

C.

Reactions: Commodore

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not true for the Forester being the only SUV in Europe. Outbacks are available.... And quite a few people are starting to import the Ascent.C.
Attached is the 5 year sales ending in FY 2021 (31 March 2021). The 8 geographic regions are US, Canada, Australia, Japan, Europe, China, Russia, and "Other regions".

It lists the Ascent under US (54,900), Canada (2,700), and Other Regions (700). The WRX is listed under 7 out of 8 regions (not in China), but sales are listed as zero in Europe.

Europe sales for fiscal year ending 3/31/2021 (rounded to nearest 100) are
3,200 Legacy
5,900 Impreza
4,300 Foresters
100 Levorg
200 BRZ
13,700 total

That's a pretty small number compared to
18,700 WRX sales in the US

The Subaru Global reports does not distinguish between Legacies and Outback, nor does it distinguish between Imprezas and Crosstreks. They do distinguish them for the US monthly sales reports. I should have said Foresters seems to be the only Subaru SUV sold in quantity in Europe.

The data does not distinguish models in production in Japan vs Indiana. For the fiscal year ending March 31, 2021
518,000 Japan
285,000 Indiana

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It really makes me wonder if the Solterra is going to sell well outside of Northern America. It seems like Toyota has the overwhelming infrastructure both in Japan, Europe, and elsewhere around the world. So while I certainly expect bZ4X sales to be larger than Solterra sales in the US, it looks like the Solterra will be swamped in other parts of the world. I am wondering if it will even be available in places like Europe.
It truly makes me keep thinking about whether the Solterra will sell well outside of Northern America. It seems like Toyota has the mind-boggling foundation both in Japan, Europe, and somewhere else all over the planet. So while I positively anticipate that bZ4X deals should be bigger than Solterra deals in the US, it appears as though the Solterra will be overwhelmed in different regions of the planet. I'm contemplating whether it will even be accessible in places like Europe.
Are you correcting my grammar?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts