Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My reservation is for a touring trim, but I am trying to wrap my mind around the value prior to the pricing being released. Of the 5 upgrade bullets that are listed really only three are have value to me - the video rearview, ventilated seats, and glass roof.

Wondering what you see as the positives and negatives to the glass roof?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wondering what you see as the positives and negatives to the glass roof?
The cons for a glass roof for me are:
  • Bikes on the roof. More opportunity to crack something rather than dent the roof. (I carry bikes on the roof, and take great care when mounting the bikes, due to a sun roof.)
  • A glass roof that doesn't open is a liability where hail storms are frequent. (One of my cars was converted to a storm chaser when I was at work.)
  • I often put mag mount antennas on the roof.
If the roof opened, I'd go for it, because I like driving down the road with all of the windows open. But because the glass roof doesn't open, it is just a liability.

And what happens when a car with a glass roof rolls over?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen that safety isn't a concern as well - glass won't "shatter" into sharp shards - it's laminated to prevent, and the panel is not "structural" for crushing forces.

I've also seen that adds weight to the top of car which can impact range and handling (although range figures published are the same for limited trim and touring trim.

Also adds heat transfer to cabin which could make climate system work harder.

I may need to haul lumber on a roof rack occasionally so thinking about roof rails/loading is a good point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts