Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has already been mentioned elsewhere in the forums. I did a search and didn't see anything come up.

How do you mount the front license plate? I'm in a state (California) that requires front plates but as far as I can tell, there's no bracket or predrilled holes. It looks like my only options are to either use a really strong double sided tape or drill holes. Neither is appealing to me. It seems like just about every Tesla owner doesn't have front plates so how are they getting around the law?

TIA!

· Registered
56 Posts
I have pre-drilled holes. The plate sits about 3" below the badge.

Anyone in a state requiring front plates runs runs the risk of a ticket. Nor a stoppable offense where I live, but it would get tacked on.

· Registered
390 Posts
These days, in California, there is a during the sale document to be signed which acknowledges that you are being informed that front license plates are a legal requirement (I had to sign that document a month ago for my purchase):

California Code, Vehicle Code - VEH § 11713.17
(a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:
(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.
(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:
(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.
(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.
(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.
They were required, by law, and as an agent of the DMV, to either install the bracket before delivery or get a signed release from the buyer.

Got my permanent plates yesterday and took a picture of my bracket:

White Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

· Premium Member
2023 Solterra Touring
149 Posts
These days, in California, there is a during the sale document to be signed which acknowledges that you are being informed that front license plates are a legal requirement (I had to sign that document a month ago for my purchase):

They were required, by law, and as an agent of the DMV, to either install the bracket before delivery or get a signed release from the buyer.

Got my permanent plates yesterday and took a picture of my bracket:

View attachment 1798
This was in my trunk. Now I know what it is.

· Registered
6 Posts
Apologies if this has already been mentioned elsewhere in the forums. I did a search and didn't see anything come up.

How do you mount the front license plate? I'm in a state (California) that requires front plates but as far as I can tell, there's no bracket or predrilled holes. It looks like my only options are to either use a really strong double sided tape or drill holes. Neither is appealing to me. It seems like just about every Tesla owner doesn't have front plates so how are they getting around the law?

TIA!
the front has 2 small stamps, using 1/4 drill, drill these two holes and using the black plastic holder, mount it with 2 screws then mount the license to that holder, dont forget to remove the 8 small plastic screw of the panel for easy access...

· Registered
44 Posts
I guess this is one of the things I like about a "high tax" state like Minnesota (or maybe it's just my dealer) but the dealer installed a temporary plate using this bracket and when my permanent plates came all I had to do was remove the temporary one and replace it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts