Subaru Solterra Forum banner
21 - 40 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
09 Forester/19 Crosstrek
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Good luck with getting money off. I along with several others at the bZ4X forum have been in constant contact with the bZ4X Toyota Team (set up just for this) and they are at the point of basically saying 'tough crap'.
You are absolutely right. Both the Toyota camp and Subaru camp have proven they don't care about their customer base at least with this situation.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You are absolutely right. Both the Toyota camp and Subaru camp have proven they don't care about their customer base at least with this situation.
The only reason that the people who took possession of the bZ4X (before recall) got anything was because of the lemon laws (mainly California). If there were no lemon laws, Toyota wouldn't have done nearly as much. One owner who sold back to them said that the dealer was instructed to post a lemon identification tag on the bought back bZ4X.

·
Registered
09 Forester/19 Crosstrek
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The only reason that the people who took possession of the bZ4X (before recall) got anything was because of the lemon laws (mainly California). If there were no lemon laws, Toyota wouldn't have done nearly as much. One owner who sold back to them said that the dealer was instructed to post a lemon identification tag on the bought back bZ4X.
Wow. That's crazy!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered the Solterra Touring in April. My dealer just called & said it will probably be end of December. (ie. EV tax credit) I am not getting any information beyond this. My dealer thought it would arrive in port of WA.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Damn that sucks. I'm pretty sure my Red 2 tone Touring Solterra is at the Jersey or New York port. Probably been there since early June. Subaru and Toyota need to knock some money off when they finallymake it to the dealership. These vehicles are deteriorating just sitting for so long. I hope there's no chewed wires or wasp or hornet nest.
Cars in transit aren't just sitting there like they would be in your driveway. Salt air from an ocean voyage is murder on cars. They drain the fluids, disconnect battery leads, seal exterior openings like vents, and put protective membranes over some areas (you can't see them on the white cars, because they're white -- look at the cars in different colors and you can see the white panels). Some of these protections are removed so that the vehicles can be driven on and off of carriers (you can see a yellow ramp for loading a 3 deck railroad auto rack in some of the shots); others wait until they get to the dealer. The dealer will also, of course, detail it before delivery.

Even so, recall or not, demand for EVs is so hot right now that no one is going to offer you money off... they're just going to find another customer who isn't so picky.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Salesman notified me today that my delivery date has been pushed back to December. It was September last week. He said he thinks this is the last delay.
Mine told me the same thing today (all their expected deliveries now say 12/30).

To his credit, back before I ordered mine (but after I reserved it) he told me he didn't think they'd be seeing any Solterras until 2023. So we're effectively back to what he was telling me in February. I guess I shouldn't be so surprised.

·
Registered
09 Forester/19 Crosstrek
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Cars in transit aren't just sitting there like they would be in your driveway. Salt air from an ocean voyage is murder on cars. They drain the fluids, disconnect battery leads, seal exterior openings like vents, and put protective membranes over some areas (you can't see them on the white cars, because they're white -- look at the cars in different colors and you can see the white panels). Some of these protections are removed so that the vehicles can be driven on and off of carriers (you can see a yellow ramp for loading a 3 deck railroad auto rack in some of the shots); others wait until they get to the dealer. The dealer will also, of course, detail it before delivery.

Even so, recall or not, demand for EVs is so hot right now that no one is going to offer you money off... they're just going to find another customer who isn't so picky.
Wow, great points. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
09 Forester/19 Crosstrek
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Is it possible they are rounding up the cars in CA to send them back to Japan?
Hmmmm, I didn't even consider that. But I think that would be very expensive just to turn around and send them right back state side. It's most likely cheaper to ship the parts to fix the problem than to ship the whole SUV back. But then again you never know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hmmmm, I didn't even consider that. But I think that would be very expensive just to turn around and send them right back state side. It's most likely cheaper to ship the parts to fix the problem than to ship the whole SUV back. But then again you never know.
I have to agree here. It's a pretty expensive proposition to ship the cars back to Japan, and completely unnecessary unless the complete remanufacturing of a major component is required.

More likely they're just consolidating them to a few locations to make applying a fix easier.

·
Registered
54 Posts
And shipping and installing 4000 replacement hub bolts to the US isn't even rounding error on their balance sheet.

They will fix them in the most economical way possible. There are very few scenarios in which dropping half a mil (your number) makes good business sense.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have to agree here. It's a pretty expensive proposition to ship the cars back to Japan, and completely unnecessary unless the complete remanufacturing of a major component is required.

More likely they're just consolidating them to a few locations to make applying a fix easier.
They're probably just storing them close to where they've been unloading them.

21 - 40 of 121 Posts