Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Now that we have our panel getting upgraded for a renovation anyway, I am going to have (eventually) a 14-50 outlet and circuit run to the garage. We don’t park in our garage (too small) but I think I want to have the EVSE mounted to the wall so it is inside and away from the elements.

My goal would be to have the electrician run the 14-50 to the garage itself, and then when I get the Grizzl-e, I can plug it in and mount it to the wall. But, I need to get the charge cable outside so I can charge my car.

I was thinking about something like a dryer vent “hole” where I can run the cord out when I want it and it will be closed when I don’t - this way it is protected from rain and doesn’t let cold air in.

I don’t want to run it under the door regularly because I would be concerned about long term damage to the cable.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
197 Posts
Running a cord/cable through the wall like that may not be code compliant. It's also a good entry point for 'critters' of various types. If you intend to charge outside, you may want to reconsider an inside location for your charge point and use a weather compliant unit.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Running a cord/cable through the wall like that may not be code compliant. It's also a good entry point for 'critters' of various types. If you intend to charge outside, you may want to reconsider an inside location for your charge point and use a weather compliant unit.
I agree with what Jim is saying... mounting the Grizzl-e on the inside and the running the cable through a hole in the wall to the outside is going to be troublesome in a variety of ways.

My car tends to be parked just outside my garage, so I have the same situation. My solution is going to be having my licensed electrician mount a 14-50R "RV" style box on the outside of my garage wall, and then I'll just mount the Grizzl-e (yes, after much weeping and gnashing of teeth I decided on the same equipment) above the outlet and leave it plugged into the outlet with the cover lowered to protect against the elements.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided to run the extra cable to mount on the outside wall of my garage. It’s an extra 20ish feet of wiring and conduit, but seems to be the best option here.

Reactions: JIm_in_PA
1 - 4 of 4 Posts