Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Great question! The Toyota deal is the first I've heard of that doesn't involve ElectrifyAmerica.
I have to assume EVgo is an easier company to negotiate with at this point, so hopefully Subaru (and Lexus) were part of the deal. If so, it wouldn't be hard to imagine that Toyota ensured it got to make the first public announcement. 馃

Registered
Subaru announced their "partnership" with EVGo, but no details of what that meant in reality.

Personally, no value to me, even with complimentary charging - no EVGo chargers in most of the places I travel. I'd much prefer a partnership with E-A. Or a car that offered that.

Registered
Yeah, I'd also like to know what access benefits Solterra customers will get. Strange that they haven't already specified them. Also a little strange that the bZ4X customers only get one year of charging, but it's good that it's unlimited instead of 30 minute sessions.

Registered
Yeah, I'd also like to know what access benefits Solterra customers will get. Strange that they haven't already specified them. Also a little strange that the bZ4X customers only get one year of charging, but it's good that it's unlimited instead of 30 minute sessions.
I don't know why they advertise the 30 minute limit, if you need to charge longer you can simply plug it back in for another 30min!!!
I do it all the time with my 50kw nissan leaf.

EVgo currently has a max charging rate of 50kw in my area...the Solterra has a max charging rate of 150kw. If EVgo doesn't upgrade it's charging stations soon, you can expect to be at the charging station for a lot more than 30min.

I'll rather pay for the charging session at electrify america where I can charge at the peak rate of 150kw and be on my way in 30 minutes.

Registered
I would welcome a similar one year complimentary charging as Toyota has announced, there are a few EVgo chargers nearby my house, San Diego - within four miles - though I know nothing about their network, access or reliability beyond that cursory search. It would give time for us to iron out our charging infrastructure challenges - no garage or driveway (too small and too short) so we are stuck with running a cord with a threshold over the sidewalk in front of our house to the curb with a 110 to start our EV ownership experience.

According to Google there are 17 evGo charging stations in all of Colorado, with all of them being in the metro Denver area (where I live). The closest one to me is 15+ miles away, and none of them seem to be conveniently located. There are a grand total of 2 along the interstates. Not sure what their business model is, but it doesn't seem it has anything to do with building charging stations that would be helpful for EV owners.

Registered
evGo is sparse in OK, TX, and AR. Given Subaru's partnership with evGo, I wonder if Solterra vehicles will first show up in places where evGo has a presence, and later where it does not. (Personally, I'd rather see MSRP rather than partnership with any EV charging network. )

Registered
evGo is sparse in OK, TX, and AR. Given Subaru's partnership with evGo, I wonder if Solterra vehicles will first show up in places where evGo has a presence, and later where it does not. (Personally, I'd rather see MSRP rather than partnership with any EV charging network. )
I can't speak to what potential buyers in OK/TX/AR might do, but I'm not going to let the absence of EVgo charging in most of IL deter me from owning a Solterra (closest is 105 miles away, in St. Louis, MO). The selling price and predicted range are much more important. If I do buy a Solterra, it's possible I'll never use EVgo charging for most of the first few years of ownership - unless they change their business model and start building stations near where I'll be traveling. In almost all directions from home there are zero EVgo chargers within several hundred miles, and none close to major highways.

Since the exact details of what the "preferred partnership" means in reality are not known at this time, it's unlikely to have much effect on where the Solterra sells well, especially given that supply is so limited for the foreseeable future.

My top alternative to the Solterra is the EV6, which does come with some free charging at Electrify America (1,000 kWh over 3 years). And also substantial dealer markup at most nearby dealerships. Is it worth paying $3,000+ over MSRP just to get $430-worth of free charging at a network that does have stations along routes where I travel? I don't think so. If I do end up buying an EV6, that's not going to be the reason.

Registered
Friend of mine just traded in his pickup for a Polestar. He originally was going to wait on a Tesla but between the fact that the Polestar has CarPlay and 2 years of free EA charging, hard to refuse, especially with the truck costing him $400 a month in fuel.

I have an EVGo charge site that鈥檚 kind of on the way home - it鈥檚 in a rest area on a toll road - but I do have an EA site that鈥檚 about half a mile from my home. I鈥檇 much rather that, but I don鈥檛 expect to use DCFC much anyway. If I do find myself using EA more often, I鈥檒l buy the Pass+ for $4 per month and then use as needed.

I鈥檓 also upgrading my panel in my home for an unrelated project anyway, so it should provide an opportunity to add a 14-50 outlet anyway, even though the Solterra won鈥檛 charge at the peak amperage it could provide.

I am expecting to order a Grizzl-e charger for home charging, but if Tesla ever launches a mobile connector with a J1772 connector, that would be the way to go I think.

Registered
Closest evgo is 253 miles away. None in MN. Subarus must not be popular enough in MN For them to partner with someone without a network here.
I believe you can use your Evgo account with 鈥渞oaming鈥 access on the charge point network. Not sure if there are additional fees for that or if the deal with Subaru and evgo would allow for this too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts