Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after 6 weeks of ownership just started the car after it say unused for 5 days and go a message saying "EV system malfunction" "Visit Your Dealer" - anyone else seen this or know what to do? Obviously contacted the dealer who didn't have any advise - will be visiting in due course!

· Registered
10 Posts
The five days of sitting may have been just long enough to run down the surface voltage on the 12 volt battery. Check it and make sure that it is fully charged as well as holding a charge. EVs get really wonky when the 12 volt surface voltage is too low. Some of these Solterras apparently sat for a long time at port so they may have 12 volt batteries that are not healthy. You can try "jumping" the Solterra using jumper cables from another car's battery but leave that second car switched off. Or use a jumpstart pack.

· Registered
9 Posts
I feel like I saw this similar at the dealership. There is an auto lock feature when you charge the vehicle and the lock pin was out though the charger was not in.
Check out the charge port or maybe turn of the charge lock and see if the message goes away.

· Registered
2021 Ascent Limited; 2023 Bolt EUV Premier w/S&S, SC
325 Posts
Not yet - just used the car which charged the 12v - they dealer said they'd swap out the battery FOC at some point when I'm in the area
Subaru should be changing out the 12V battery on every vehicle that was sitting at port during the recall. I wouldn't accept one without a battery swap.

· Registered
128 Posts
I’m about to see how mine made out parks in a cold garage for two weeks while we’ve been on family vacation,

I’m hoping with the amount of time I’ve had the car (8 weeks) and used it, the 12v battery will be fine. The car was also driven 400 km and charged fully twice in the 3 days leading up to our vacation. Will post more when we arrive home Friday,

· Super Moderator
2023 Subaru Solterra with Technology Package, Platinum White with Two-Tone Black Roof
416 Posts
As of right now I can’t refresh the status of the car or battery charge with the mobile app. I left the car unplugged with about a 70% charge remaining.
So you suspect the 12V is dead if you can’t check the status?

12Vs seem to be such a common problem with EVs. Almost need to have a battery tender on the 12V if not using it for awhile.

· Registered
2021 Ascent Limited; 2023 Bolt EUV Premier w/S&S, SC
325 Posts
As of right now I can’t refresh the status of the car or battery charge with the mobile app. I left the car unplugged with about a 70% charge remaining.
I would suspect that the vehicle will go to sleep after some time period has passed. Hopefully, that's the case for you.

· Registered
Vancouver, BC 2023 Solterra Tech Pkg
480 Posts
I have a BM2 that I have used before on my Kona and now have on my Crosstrek. It monitors the 12V and keep data for the past 30 days which then displays on your phone. It gives you the SOC of the 12V over that time, and most importantly when it is charged. My Kona would periodically check the 12V SOC and charge it from the traction battery if necessary during idle times. That way it could never go flat. I assume the Solterra does the same, but would like to make sure. With the Kona, they actually did a later software update because it wasn't charging enough, and increased the frequency check to about 20 min, I think. In any case it did a good job after that of preventing 12V failures.

Our EVs have a lot of parasitic draw because of all the electronics and communications that are live even when idle. This uses the 12V, and if it is not charged enough there could be a problem.

Even on an ICE car the BM2 is useful, because the OEM batteries can be easily damaged if they are overly discharged and not fully charged immediately after. Short and infrequent trips are esp bad. But if properly monitored and charged externally when necessary they can actually last quite a while. My Crosstrek battery is now over 5 years old and still working fine. Many don't last 3 years. People tend to blame the OEM battery quality, but it is actually the abuse that does it. That includes maintaining SOC and also fluid levels, esp in hot climates.

· Registered
480 Posts

· Registered
480 Posts
LOL. Pop the hood and put a meter on it.
That would only give you current SOC, but not over time, or when the car charges the 12V. The BM2 keeps data for the last 30 days, and you can display the SOC at different time periods,incl by day or by hour of one day. Here is a sample graph of a Kona for one day. It actually checks and charges every 4 hours (not 20 min as I thought). In this case the battery is fully charged and only shows brief charge periods every 4 hours. If you battery had been depleted more (ie leaving hatch open) that would show up and the charge time would be higher until it reaches full charge. I am looking forward to having a BM2 on my Solterra and see how often it gets charged.
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Slope

· Registered
297 Posts
Thanks for the BM2 link.

I just ordered two: one for the Solterra to arrive in about a week (!) and one for the old CR-V which will only get driven once a month to keep the battery and engine in shape.

Luckily the CR-V was our TOAD (towed behind the RV) and it has an 8 pin socket I installed in the front which brings up to 10A of charge current for the battery, so we’ll put it on a tender but use this to monitor it.

I would love to be able to connect over BT from my Home Assistant server to monitor and report issues before I go out to drive it and find it’s dead and the battery charger had disconnected a month earlier, but if it was only through their app, that might work out. I’ll just have to trust their app not to compromise my phone.

· Registered
480 Posts
It connects to your phone via bluetooth. So as long as you are within that range you can look at it. As it happens my home office is just on the other side of the wall of our garage. So I can look at it on my phone any time without leaving my office.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts