Subaru Solterra Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
But in this post it says studded. Now I’m confused as to which one went the extra 40km. With or without studded winters.
View attachment 1273
Bad translation. "piggfrie vinterdekk" is translated once as studless, another time as studded.

Studded winter tires would be "pigg vinterdekk"

Per Google translate, it should say STUDLESS.

pigfri vinterdæk in Danish!

·
Registered
Solterra Nordic
9 Posts
And that car is using 18” wheels with studded winter tires and cooler temps (not freezing though). They have more posts regarding it (including charging) on their Instagram page. Just translate the txt.
It is using 18" inch winter tyres without studs. "Piggfrie" is winter tyres with rubber only.

edit; Sorry, I see that it was already answered a couple of hours ago.. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
One thing I had forgot about is the US AWD battery is 72.8 kWh instead of 71.4 kWh (Panasonics for FWD everywhere and AWD everywhere but US and maybe Canada(?)).

Not sure how much is 'useable' via Toyota's software or if it has a better or worse range.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Update from Nybiltester on Instagram, he was supposed to test a Solterra;
"Subaru Norway has suspended all loans of the car to the press until they have received answers to a number of questions from Subaru. So, unfortunately, I won't be able to test more Solterra for an indefinite period of time"

http://instagr.am/p/Ck8UgK5KT-v/
Are the "number of questions" documented anywhere?

·
Registered
Solterra Nordic
9 Posts
Are the "number of questions" documented anywhere?
Not that I know of. But now Toyota has done the same with the BZ4X! No more testing.

google translate link!

·
Super Moderator
284 Posts
Not that I know of. But now Toyota has done the same with the BZ4X! No more testing.

google translate link!
This can be either a really good thing or a terrible thing. I’m leaning towards terrible. I wonder if their is any correlation between these media tests and people cancelling orders? Cause it’s not like Toyota or Subaru are stopping deliveries to customers. They are just not giving the loaner cars for media testing. So more bad news can’t come out furthering customer cancellations? All of this negative news around range and charging seems like it could be easily resolved with software corrections (ex. the charging curve and reducing charging speeds to absolutely stupid levels way to early in the curve). Either Toyota is trying to protect charging so much because they truly want a pack that can last 10+ years and they are concerned of this or they sourced really shitty batteries and just can’t do any better. Really hope Toyota puts some honest effort and resources to furthering the software development of this car to make it better like Tesla does. Hoping they don’t take the empty promise approach like VW has with their ID4 updates.

·
Registered
Solterra Nordic
9 Posts
Update from motor.no:
From Subaru and Toyota we have received the following updates a few minutes before midnight on Wednesday:
  • Subaru Solterra is ready for testing again from tomorrow, Wednesday, reports the general manager of Subaru Norway, Torbjørn Lie.
  • The Toyota bZ4X is ready for testing again from Friday, says Toyota's communications manager, Espen Olsen.

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
Update from motor.no:
From Subaru and Toyota we have received the following updates a few minutes before midnight on Wednesday:
  • Subaru Solterra is ready for testing again from tomorrow, Wednesday, reports the general manager of Subaru Norway, Torbjørn Lie.
  • The Toyota bZ4X is ready for testing again from Friday, says Toyota's communications manager, Espen Olsen.
Huh, I wonder what (if anything) they did to the cars? It sounds like something had been in the works for a while.

Looking forward to the updated testing, it will be interesting to see if there are any measurable changes.

·
Super Moderator
284 Posts
Huh, I wonder what (if anything) they did to the cars? It sounds like something had been in the works for a while.

Looking forward to the updated testing, it will be interesting to see if there are any measurable changes.
Yeah same! I wonder if there was a software update that needed to be applied to those cars still. I thought I heard something about a software update to improve cold weather charging. Maybe there is more to it than that. Regardless, looking forward to it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
You mean different between bZ4X and Solterra, or between press and customer cars?
I was thinking between brands, but I can also envision Toyota constantly tweaking software for their cars, for better or worse, and that build not making its way through the distribution channels for the Subarus or possibly different vehicles (across brands) automatically updating to different versions.

So as previously speculated, but maybe for different reasons, they probably had to physically confirm and/or re-flash the OS/software to re-baseline all the cars.

·
Registered
198 Posts
They bitched about how big the lower buffer was on the bZ4X, which would at least continue at 100km/h for a while on the buffer, but then bitched about the MG, which slowed below 100km/h when it hit about 10% “remaining” charge. They want it both ways, I guess.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts