Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think dealers need to be involved somehow because I don't see the majority of people willing to order a car sight-unseen and without taking a test drive. Purchasers of Teslas (and EVs in general, now) are usually a different breed. It would be nice to have some type of hybrid system where you order your specs based on the manufacturer's price and the dealer gets a cut for handling the test drive, paperwork, and delivery. I don't know who would pay for the cars sitting on the lots available for test drives. Also need to be able to get a car quickly to someone whose car died and was totaled. Dealers make most of their money on service and used car sales, anyway, so I think they'd do OK.

I'd also love to go to one location where I can look at, for example, a Honda CR-V, a Toyota RAV4, and a Nissan Rouge and have someone who was knowledgeable with all three. Right now, I go to a Toyota dealer and they tell me that the turbo on the CR-V won't last, the Honda dealer tells me the RAV4 is loud, etc. A salesperson should help you find the car that suits you, not try to shoehorn you into whatever they are selling!

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
186 Posts
As long as there's a workable solution for vehicle service, I have zero issue with a buy direct model...unless pricing gets out of hand. Direct sale should reflect reduced sales costs, IMHO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Regarding purchases I have not stepped foot on a dealer lot to do anything other than finalize a deal and take possession of the car. Every car we've bought since 2009 has been sight unseen, other than online or texted photos. I would love to be able to log into a system, make my selections and order the vehicle I want and know the cost without any other human intervention or wasted energy with sales people. I have no use for "test drives" on brand new cars, though I will admit I enjoy checking out new vehicles at car shows or sponsored events.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like car dealers. I have known a few and if they like you, can do quite a lot for you. So my last two purchases, both new cars, I almost partied with the first lot, and made a good friend of the guy who is now assistant sales manager, at the Subaru dealer I will buy my Solterra from.

The finance guy for the first lot was a balloon twister par excellence, and he found me another category which saved me $40 a month, and reduced the total quite nicely. I just bought the BRZ I will trade for the Solterra for cash, as there was a 3 grand discount that way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think dealers need to be involved somehow because I don't see the majority of people willing to order a car sight-unseen and without taking a test drive. Purchasers of Teslas (and EVs in general, now) are usually a different breed. It would be nice to have some type of hybrid system where you order your specs based on the manufacturer's price and the dealer gets a cut for handling the test drive, paperwork, and delivery.
It's pretty easy to see and test drive a Tesla.
The dealers in many states have successfully lobbied for laws protecting them from direct sales. In Colorado they carved out an exception for some companies like Tesla. I don't know the current situation but a while back you couldn't buy a Tesla in Texas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts