Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
23 Solterra, 20 GR Supra
115 Posts
This is ironic.
In my last car - the 2021 RAV4 Prime - there were no shortage of forum members complaining of the (very loud) reverse warning sound outside the car.
The unusual aspect of this was that there was no sound generator at the rear of the vehicle. It simply amplified the front sound generator (typically found on all EV's today). Let's say it did its job really well. There hasn't been a pedestrian who didn't look up whenever I put that vehicle in reverse.
Countless forums were devoted on how to mute it - if you simply cut the cable the car will know and show a permanent warning. Some wrapped it up in duct tape to muffle the sound. Others used a relay to bypass it. Just as many warned of the legal ramifications if one were to modify or tamper with the system - and then run over a pedestrian.
Here we have a vehicle that annoys the driver instead. Having never been behind the vehicle while in reverse, I can't say if there is a reverse warning sound outside at all.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not referring to anything outside the car, there is a “hum” noise outside the car to warn pedestrians. The chime I am asking is the seat belt chime, inside the car, when the car is out in reverse.

· Super Moderator
1,234 Posts
I am not referring to anything outside the car, there is a “hum” noise outside the car to warn pedestrians. The chime I am asking is the seat belt chime, inside the car, when the car is out in reverse.
OK, that's just a total waste of time and a total annoyance! I can see maybe chiming briefly when R is first engaged, given the non-conventional shift layout - but that can be said of most cars nowadays. For it to continue chiming as you're backing up (assuming that's what it does), sheesh!

· Registered
27 Posts
YES, this can be switched to ONE chime when you first put it into reverse. (I have also heard there may be an option to turn it off completely). I like at least ONE chime to remind me that I put it into reverse.

You either get a OBD II device and download an app to get in and change the setting... or simply take it to your Dealership and have them plug their computer into it and have them change it.

Bottom line, YES, you can change this setting.

· Registered
516 Posts
All my previous Subaru's had a matrix of settings that could be changed (and the settings that could be selected) by the customer and the settings that had to be done with special tools through the dealer (or presumably a 3rd party app with the correct connectivity).

These items missing from the owners manual was one of the first things I noticed when they were first available for download. It's as if they don't even know how their own vehicle works. So, so, sad; and completely unprofessional.

· Registered
23 Solterra, 20 GR Supra
115 Posts
YES, this can be switched to ONE chime when you first put it into reverse. (I have also heard there may be an option to turn it off completely). I like at least ONE chime to remind me that I put it into reverse.

You either get a OBD II device and download an app to get in and change the setting... or simply take it to your Dealership and have them plug their computer into it and have them change it.

Bottom line, YES, you can change this setting.
YES! That's great information.
I shall call the service department tomorrow.
What a pain we have to do that in the first place.

· Registered
27 Posts
This is from the owner's manual (page 576 in my version). The O in column C means the dealership has to make the customization.

View attachment 1417

Yes and No....

So, yes, this is NOT in your normal entertainment center or digital display area as a customizable setting that they allow you to do on your own.

But, No, you do NOT need to go to a dealership to do it. In many cases you can get an OBD II device and download an app, plug in the device under your steering wheel and connect via Bluetooth to your phone and use the app to make the changes.

I happen to have a version of Toyota's TechStream on a laptop and a USB adapter device that i can plug into my cars, Search for a model that will work. The thing I don't know, yet, is if Subaru uses that same software, or if they have their own. (since technically this all looks like Toyota's software anyway, its likely it would work).

· Super Moderator
1,234 Posts
Yes and No....

So, yes, this is NOT in your normal entertainment center or digital display area as a customizable setting that they allow you to do on your own.

But, No, you do NOT need to go to a dealership to do it. In many cases you can get an OBD II device and download an app, plug in the device under your steering wheel and connect via Bluetooth to your phone and use the app to make the changes.

I happen to have a version of Toyota's TechStream on a laptop and a USB adapter device that i can plug into my cars, Search for a model that will work. The thing I don't know, yet, is if Subaru uses that same software, or if they have their own. (since technically this all looks like Toyota's software anyway, its likely it would work).
That option too. Some owners aren't comfortable making those kinds of changes (I've done the same with my BMW, using Bimmercode). I have a Bluetooth OBDII device, I'd be interested to see if there's an app for Toyota/Subaru that works with that.

· Registered
27 Posts
That option too. Some owners aren't comfortable making those kinds of changes (I've done the same with my BMW, using Bimmercode). I have a Bluetooth OBDII device, I'd be interested to see if there's an app for Toyota/Subaru that works with that.
I have an OBD II device too, but for some reason the one i have is very limited... Although, i have heard the that the Carista device and app seams to be more robust... they don't curranty list the bZ4X or Solterra, but you could try plugging in a Prius 4th gen in (since the Prius has this backup beep issue and is customizable too). I have heard this works.

· Super Moderator
1,234 Posts
I have an OBD II device too, but for some reason the one i have is very limited... Although, i have heard the that the Carista device and app seams to be more robust... they don't curranty list the bZ4X or Solterra, but you could try plugging in a Prius 4th gen in (since the Prius has this backup beep issue and is customizable too). I have heard this works.
Thanks! I'll have to wait until mine arrives to try that. Maybe in the next 6 weeks.

My device is an iCar II. I lied, it's WiFi, not Bluetooth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts