Subaru Solterra Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
What “features” of the Solterra are lacking compared to an ID4? Other than charging speed and range (the ID4 doesn’t blow away the Solterra in these categories but it is better so I will give it that). Otherwise, I’d say the Solterra is better in every way. The tech/infotainment is better. The interior is nicer. The controls inside are nice (the ID4s touch controls are terrible). I would argue the AWD system is exponentially better. Ground clearance. It’s a nice vehicle to live with daily it seems.
Why is it when people compare EVs they forget about the rest of the car and ONLY focus on range and charging speed? When those two parameters are only actually relevant to a smaller population of people that road trip often or have extremely long commutes for work. Majority of people, the range and charging speed of the Solterra already will exceeed their needs. Everyone just WANTS a 400+ mile range EV that charges in 20 mins. Barely anyone NEEDS those specs.
As a former 2021 ID.4 who had to suffer with endless glitches and who declined a 2022 Gradient AWD Pro S in July... I loathe to recommend the ID.4.

Mine shutdown on me in the middle of the road on day 5 and just stranded my co-worker (his is a Pro S) on Labor Day weekend. He at least drove 8000+ miles before his first electrical shutdown.

I think you all overestimate how reliable the CCS charging network is in the US and how sparse coverage is. For a $50K car I should NOT have to take an extra hour to charge in a 200 highway mile round trip. Whatever EPA is... drop that by 10-15% on the highway.

A year ago I traded by 211 mile EPA Mach-E Standard Range for a RAV4 Prime...I loved the MME. However the trips I was taking between north Orlando and Ocala had no DC chargers. A year later they still DO NOT - no new fast chargers have been built in what is a fairly wealthy area. I would have to make a 16 mile detour in the opposite direction, charge for 30mins, drive back 16 miles, etc. Why would anybody pay a premium ($50K car that is maybe worth $40K) for this?

The reason I was interested in a Solterra was because the RAV4 Prime is a fantastic car (minus the buzzy gas drivetrain and poor audio). A RAV4 Prime with 100% EV drivetrain and upgraded infotainment + audio is exactly what I want. Frankly, the ID.4 is awful in comparison to the RAV4 Prime.

But the major issue is range.. I gave up my MME because of the low highway range and I can't be buying a Solterra with the same problem. The RAV4 Prime got traded for a Telluride essentially - which is the same price as the Solterra without the tax credit. With the tax credit the Solterra would be more competitive but at this point with the low range, high price, recall problems, and delays... it's looking like I won't take delivery of it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I decided on option 1. I ordered a Tesla Model Y Long Range (MYLR) last night. Several recent buyers of the MYLR say the ride, noise, and quality of assembly have improved significantly. With the Solterra's disqualification from the tax credit, it shrinks the price deficit between it and the MYLR to $16K. Down to $9K if delivered in 2023 because of the MYLR's tax credit. It's a relief to be out from under the charging speed situation, the CCS station reliability issue, the unknown delivery date issue, etc. I wish everyone the best with their choices.⚡

·
Registered
186 Posts
I decided on option 1. I ordered a Tesla Model Y Long Range (MYLR) last night. Several recent buyers of the MYLR say the ride, noise, and quality of assembly have improved significantly. With the Solterra's disqualification from the tax credit, it shrinks the price deficit between it and the MYLR to $16K. Down to $9K if delivered in 2023 because of the MYLR's tax credit. It's a relief to be out from under the charging speed situation, the CCS station reliability issue, the unknown delivery date issue, etc. I wish everyone the best with their choices.⚡
I thought you said it was all baked into the Subaru DNA?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Has anyone here NOT already ordered something other than a Solterra?

[I'm still on the fence. I don't need to buy something else just to get an EV, I already have one - I'm just being impatient.]

·
Registered
60 Posts

[I'm still on the fence. I don't need to buy something else just to get an EV, I already have one - I'm just being impatient.]
Here's what I have reserved with deposits going back to last year:
Rivian R1S
Fisker Ocean (two reservations)
Ioniq 5 (that reservation is basically worthless)
Audi Q4 Etron
Mustang Mach E
Solterra
VW ID.4

Looking like it will come down to the Solterra or the ID.4 becoming available first.

In the meantime, doing all this looking and waiting, I found a 2019 BMW i3s to replace my 2015 BMW i3 and that's arriving on Sunday so I guess that will actually be our next EV in the household (and from the first time I saw that car to when it arrives will be just under 8 days :p). I would have had it yesterday but it's being shipped from So. Cal to Oregon.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·

I think the Solterra would be perfect for people who do practically all their driving within 100 miles of home and can charge at home. Especially if they live close to national parks or unpaved roads into nature.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Rivian R1S
Audi Q4 Etron
Mustang Mach E
Solterra
VW ID.4

Looking like it will come down to the Solterra or the ID.4 becoming available first.

In the meantime, doing all this looking and waiting, I found a 2019 BMW i3s to replace my 2015 BMW i3 and that's arriving on Sunday so I guess that will actually be our next EV in the household (and from the first time I saw that car to when it arrives will be just under 8 days :p). I would have had it yesterday but it's being shipped from So. Cal to Oregon.
I highly recommend the 2019 i3S, especially if you don't need to to make long trips.

Maybe I should just keep mine and shut up, LOL?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I highly recommend the 2019 i3S, especially if you don't need to to make long trips.

Maybe I should just keep mine and shut up, LOL?
Haha.

When I bought my 2015 i3 as a companion car to my big SUV a year ago, I thought I'd maybe drive it at the most 50% of time just around town. One year later, I probably drive the i3 close to 80% of the time and the SUV just sits in the garage now. With the 2019 i3, the SUV will really be gathering dust.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Rivian R1S
Audi Q4 Etron
Mustang Mach E
Solterra
VW ID.4
I've reserved (and canceled) an ID.4 AWD (twice), and an Ariya AWD. I've wanted to reserve/order a Q4, to no avail (now I can buy a demo car, if I want it in November).

I can order a C40 for delivery in November. Just not sure I want to pay $8.5k over the Solterra's price (but still less than the Q4 I'd get).

Waiting is actually the easiest thing to do, I'm just not good at it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Austin factory built Ys sound like a mess right now with different QC problems (so stick with Fremont cars) and the suspension is still a tad too firm for me but now there are suspension upgrades like Ohlin Grand Touring that soften the ride.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Yeah. Me. The ability to handle ugly weather and horrible trail conditions is decisive for me. I'm waiting it out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What options did you go with and when is your EDD, if you don’t mind my asking?

I did the same in May as a placeholder. (Red, black interior, Gemini wheels with tow) Still torn between which direction I will go. MYLR estimated delivery is December. Hopefully the Canadian pricing for the Solterra will be announced by then so I can make an informed decision. The rebate plan is reversed up here. The MYLR has no rebate, but the Solterra will be eligible for $10k in rebates. The smart money is on the Solterra, but attraction to the Tesla is pretty strong.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm hoping that I'll remember all the dealers that have my deposits once I can finally make a purchase!
At times like this, I'm glad I use Quicken. I have 2 transfer accounts called (unimaginatively) "Accounts Payable" and "Accounts Receivable". The latter is for refundable deposits (and deposits that will be applied to a later purchase). I see my $250 Solterra deposit (reservation fee) has been sitting there for almost 8 months now, which is quite a bit longer than normal for that account.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
What options did you go with and when is your EDD, if you don’t mind my asking?

I did the same in May as a placeholder. (Red, black interior, Gemini wheels with tow) Still torn between which direction I will go. MYLR estimated delivery is December. Hopefully the Canadian pricing for the Solterra will be announced by then so I can make an informed decision. The rebate plan is reversed up here. The MYLR has no rebate, but the Solterra will be eligible for $10k in rebates. The smart money is on the Solterra, but attraction to the Tesla is pretty strong.
Red, white interior, Gemini wheels. EDD Dec-Apr. If it shows up in 2023, I'll get the $7500 tax credit.

It's so comforting to now be getting something that charges so fast on a vast network and is so efficient and has such long range (not to mention ripping performance and amazing space efficiency). Road trips will be relatively anxiety-free. Ride and noise is much improved now, I hear. But, I'm sure the Solterra will be more comfortable and quieter. Although the MYLR is expensive, I've heard it holds it's value extremely well compared to other EVs. So, long-term, it may be the smart money for me.

I'm pulling hard for Subaru to get caught up in the EV space. But, the extent of the early teething pains have exceeded my tolerance, especially since I want to take long road trips.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts