Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like even the earliest Solterra orders are being pushed back to December 2022. You could get a Model Y by then if you ordered now. And it's starting to get close to the next model year for Solterra and hopefully upgrades in batteries and charging. In the three months between now and December, I'd think they could do some upgrades in the charging speed department. But, with no communication about it, it's doubtful. And I hate to say it, since I'm a loyal Subaru fan, if something as basic as loosening wheels can escape detection until production, what else could have escaped? I've swept other annoyances under the rug like 1. No power front passenger seat, 2. No glove box, 3. No rear wiper, 4. No struts for holding hood open, 5. Low hip height for rear passengers, 6. No %SOC indication on instrument cluster, 7. No full featured route planning with battery preconditioning, 8. 6.6kW level 2 charger, etc. But, it just irks me about the U.S. Solterras being saddled with a 100kW max charging speed battery that takes more than twice as long to charge 0-80% as the Panasonic battery in the RZ 450e. And now the extra 3 month wait.

So, I'm pondering options:

1. Tesla Model Y solves all the tech, routing and charging issues, and could qualify for the tax credit. But, costs a fortune, rides rough, is noisy, and relatively poor construction quality.

2. Cadillac Lyriq is really comfortable and quiet, has good range and charging speed, could qualify for the tax credit. But, it's having quality control issues, is expensive, and dealers may gouge on price.

3. Wait for the Solterra and hope for the best.

4. Do nothing and keep driving my excellent Outback.

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
285 Posts
I would go with #4. You can bet that Subaru/Toyota will move manufacturing to the US to qualify customers for the $7500 tax credit. That is not that long to wait. And by then might be more and better options available, too.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Under the covers the question you may really be asking yourself is, "Will the Solterra hold its value well enough to be a decent trade in by the time something better comes along?" I'd also say the other determining factor is how much longer you want to live with the hassle of gas and oil.

I don't plan on canceling something I haven't driven, and I think there are going to be people lining up for a couple years to get a Solterra. So in the next couple years they'll probably figure out how to upgrade some of the components so it charges in an acceptable manner, some of the other annoyances, and probably expand the interior and exterior color options that they are keeping out of the US market (for whatever reason).

So by the time they "get it right" for whatever things you personally value, you'll either have an older ICE vehicle to trade in or a first year Solterra to trade in. Personally, I think the Solterra is going to hold its value better than most ICE vehicles going forward.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd say go with #4. Most likely will be doing the same.

Was planning on replacing my wife's Forester with the Solterra when I placed my order this spring. With the loss of the Fed Rebate and the continued delay, the wife will most likely be driving the Forester for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'll be going with #3. There is always a risk involved in being one of the first buyers of any brand-new model (we also bought one of the very first VW New Beetle TDI models -- loved it, but talk about teething troubles!). I'll ride it out.

The car my Solterra is replacing gave up the ghost in June (2007 Impreza with 293K+ miles on it), but we'll probably replace our Outback with another Solterra (or a new Subie EV) in 3-4 years, so we'll be looking to see what incremental changes get made in the interim.

·
Registered
135 Posts
So, I'm pondering options:

1. Tesla Model Y solves all the tech, routing and charging issues, and could qualify for the tax credit. But, costs a fortune, rides rough, is noisy, and relatively poor construction quality. New Model Ys aren't noisy. I've measured the dB levels on all the EVs I've owned. Noisy my Mach-E at higher speeds. Quiet is the Ioniq 5 and my new BMW i4. Even with the tax credit it is still expensive and just a tad more than the Ioniq 5 and EV6 without tax credit.

2. Cadillac Lyriq is really comfortable and quiet, has good range and charging speed, could qualify for the tax credit. But, it's having quality control issues, is expensive, and dealers may gouge on price. Give up now. You are 4 months too late to order. Any order now is 2024 or later and will have 2024+ pricing which could be a significant price bump because Cadillac wasn't eligible for the tax credit when pricing was announced for 2023. I saw one in person last weekend at my dealer and will definitely buy the Lyriq when my order arrives. It was a good deal before the tax credit and is a fantastic deal with it now. FYI Caddy dealers have been fantastic in my area... complete opposite of the slimey price gouging Hyundai/Kia dealers.

3. Wait for the Solterra and hope for the best.

4. Do nothing and keep driving my excellent Outback. This might be your best choice. With used prices falling and new car prices NOT falling at the same rate... upgrading is a whole lot more expensive.
The Solterra without the tax credit is a terrible deal IMO. Low range, slow charging, unpremium features. If you don't have other options then it might be good to buy it - but I'm going to test drive and decline it. Even with all the problems with the ID.4... it's probably a better deal now that it is built in the US and VW has upgraded the top trim to include features that were missing before.

If Subaru chopped $5K off the price immediately... I might reconsider but even then... a $45K Limited with those features is a hard sell.

·
Super Moderator
164 Posts
The Solterra without the tax credit is a terrible deal IMO. Low range, slow charging, unpremium features. If you don't have other options then it might be good to buy it - but I'm going to test drive and decline it. Even with all the problems with the ID.4... it's probably a better deal now that it is built in the US and VW has upgraded the top trim to include features that were missing before.

If Subaru chopped $5K off the price immediately... I might reconsider but even then... a $45K Limited with those features is a hard sell.
What “features” of the Solterra are lacking compared to an ID4? Other than charging speed and range (the ID4 doesn’t blow away the Solterra in these categories but it is better so I will give it that). Otherwise, I’d say the Solterra is better in every way. The tech/infotainment is better. The interior is nicer. The controls inside are nice (the ID4s touch controls are terrible). I would argue the AWD system is exponentially better. Ground clearance. It’s a nice vehicle to live with daily it seems.
Why is it when people compare EVs they forget about the rest of the car and ONLY focus on range and charging speed? When those two parameters are only actually relevant to a smaller population of people that road trip often or have extremely long commutes for work. Majority of people, the range and charging speed of the Solterra already will exceeed their needs. Everyone just WANTS a 400+ mile range EV that charges in 20 mins. Barely anyone NEEDS those specs.

·
Registered
162 Posts
What “features” of the Solterra are lacking compared to an ID4? Other than charging speed and range (the ID4 doesn’t blow away the Solterra in these categories but it is better so I will give it that). Otherwise, I’d say the Solterra is better in every way. The tech/infotainment is better. The interior is nicer. The controls inside are nice (the ID4s touch controls are terrible). I would argue the AWD system is exponentially better. Ground clearance. It’s a nice vehicle to live with daily it seems.
Why is it when people compare EVs they forget about the rest of the car and ONLY focus on range and charging speed? When those two parameters are only actually relevant to a smaller population of people that road trip often or have extremely long commutes for work. Majority of people, the range and charging speed of the Solterra already will exceeed their needs. Everyone just WANTS a 400+ mile range EV that charges in 20 mins. Barely anyone NEEDS those specs.
I'll agree with everything you say about the ID.4 and add the fact that the front and rear tires are not the same size - and I really don't like that at all.

I also agree you with your "Everyone just WANTS a 400+ mile range EV that charges in 20 mins. Barely anyone NEEDS those specs.". Some people? Sure but how many people need much more than 220-230 miles in one day on a day by day basis? My commute is 180 miles per week and 198 if I have to work on Saturday. I'll use my Rav4 Prime on road trips that I feel it's necessary. At some point, range and battery charging (faster and more fast chargers), I feel, will get better and can upgrade either the bZ4X, the Rav4 Prime or both, lol! :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
My wife (who the car is going to be for) and I went and test drove an ID4. She liked it and felt it was a great car. We went ahead and put in an order for one. M.S.R.P. was within a few hundred dollars of the Solterra Limited (which we also have on order).

Here's the issue/dilemma. Wife likes both cars equally but everything being equal, she said she would take the Solterra if she liked it as much as the ID4 when the Solterra comes in and she can test drive it. HOWEVER, the ID4 will still offer the $7,500 Fed Rebate here in the U.S. and since I'm the one writing the check, I'll be buying her the ID4.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My feeling is that there is a lot of hating on the Solterra / Buzzforks just because people were hoping for higher range / charging speed numbers. And yes, that's despite the fact that they will rarely, if ever, need more.

My longest possible single day need in routine use would be 152 miles, and that's making up a scenario where I have to go to 3 different medical appointments at the locations with the furthest distance between them -- and believe me, I DON'T schedule myself like that. My normal usage would be more like 60-75 mIles a day, and a Level 2 home charger will put that back in the battery in a couple of hours.

I find the lack of a rear wiper to be mildly annoying (although I have had cars that use an airflow solution and it does work), and I'm not sold on the gauge cluster solution. But those are minor nits, really.

Add to that the fact that all of my favorite camping and hiking locations require traversing some really crappy roads to get there. Try that in an ID4 (start banging up the battery tray and you'll void the warranty PDQ).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Full disclosure, charging speed and any range over approximately 200 miles is perfectly fine with my wife. The issue is if we can get an ID4 for around $44K (Pro S AWD) because of the Fed Rebate which will still be available, or paying $51K for a Solterra Limited, I'm going with the ID4. What makes the Solterra better by over $7K?

·
Registered
254 Posts
But, do you indeed get the full $7500 rebate?

There are 3 factors involved, which the ID4 may or may not meet… Assembled in NA, battery assembled in NA, and battery components sourced in NA.

I’m not saying the ID 4 doesn’t qualify, as I’ve not researched the ID4 (to put it mildly, I wouldn’t trust my local VW dealership to vacuum my vehicle, much less work on it, but that’s a story for another time)… only suggesting you make sure it does when factoring the rebate into the total price equation…

·
Registered
60 Posts
But, do you indeed get the full $7500 rebate?

There are 3 factors involved, which the ID4 may or may not meet… Assembled in NA, battery assembled in NA, and battery components sourced in NA.

I’m not saying the ID 4 doesn’t qualify, as I’ve not researched the ID4 (to put it mildly, I wouldn’t trust my local VW dealership to vacuum my vehicle, much less work on it, but that’s a story for another time)… only suggesting you make sure it does when factoring the rebate into the total price equation…
Based on the information I've been told (and not by the local VW dealer as I agree with your assessment), yes, the 2023 ID4's being built in Tennessee will qualify for the full $7,500 rebate.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don’t know if this article is accurate, so take the information with a grain of salt…

Note the text referring to tax credits for the ID4…

Thanks for the link and information.

Things were so much clearer back in the Spring. Kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on the Ioniq 5 I was offered back in March for "only" $4K over M.S.R.P. now (and guaranteed the Fed Rebate).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was today at North American International Auto Show. I've seen Solterra in person for the first time. It's great (except the piano black accents inside). Prominently put on the display as a focal point. But when I went to Toyota's display, there was of course the new Crown, but no BZ4X to be found. Is Toyota quietly pulling the plug on the BZ4X?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts