Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the email from SOA with the solterra VIN number, and the dealer called delivery date is Dec. 22
The dealer told me there’s no tax credit will be applied to the car, let them know if I want to proceed ?
What do you guys thinking? Is the solterra worth it without the tax credit ? Please let me know
Thank you !!

· Registered
409 Posts
That’s a tough question.

The answer depends on the individual, taking into account their financial condition, transportation needs, planned usage, charging capability, length of planned ownership, … the lists goes on…

While making perfect sense for one individual to purchase, it may make no sense to another.

· Registered
23 Solterra, 20 GR Supra
115 Posts
Just got the email from SOA with the solterra VIN number, and the dealer called delivery date is Dec. 22
The dealer told me there’s no tax credit will be applied to the car, let them know if I want to proceed ?
What do you guys thinking? Is the solterra worth it without the tax credit ? Please let me know
Thank you !!
To me at least, getting a Solterra is like winning the lottery.
While the tax credit is important, it (to me) is just the icing on the cake.
You're getting to eat cake soon:love:

· Registered
65 Posts
Thank you !!
Just a thing but you might want to ask what the status is in the pipeline as well. My delivery date was 12/10/2022 and that's passed by. My dealer did say that that could be +- (usually +) a few days yesterday the status was 'not shipped' although not shipped from where was unclear. If your dealer is shipping via Cassens you can go here Cassens Transport to look up their dealer number then take that and your VIN and see if it's on a truck (maybe). Worse (maybe better) for me is that my dealer isn't in that database, I guess they don't use that particular company. Who knows though. Good luck amigo!

· Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Thank you !!
Just a thing but you might want to ask what the status is in the pipeline as well. My delivery date was 12/10/2022 and that's passed by. My dealer did say that that could be +- (usually +) a few days yesterday the status was 'not shipped' although not shipped from where was unclear. If your dealer is shipping via Cassens you can go here Cassens Transport to look up their dealer number then take that and your VIN and see if it's on a truck (maybe).
To echo @Dave, the Status on the dealership's tracking system needs to show at least "Shipped Rail" (assuming you're far enough away from a coast to require rail) for it to be actually on its way to the dealership INSIDE the US. Prior to that, an ETA of 12/22/2022 is not entirely meaningful. My dealership's SSLP car shows ETA of 07/08/2022 but also a "Revised ETA" of 12/20/2022 (and also Status of Shipped Rail), so 12/20 is quite plausible in that case.

And to echo both @FelineFreddie and @VICanuck, you'll have to decide WHY you're buying this car, now. If you're buying it solely because of the tax credit, then walk or run away (and good luck finding something else that qualifies, within a reasonable timeframe, without a sizable dealer markup). If you're buying it because this is the car you want (and you can still afford it without the tax credit), then buy it and enjoy it when it finally arrives.

· Registered
182 Posts
Thank you !!
I'm thinking that I'm kind of surprised how many people on a Solterra forum don't seem to really want a Solterra. Of course, everyone's tastes and needs are different so only you can really answer that question. Personally, I want a Solterra, tax credit or not. The tax credit was a bonus.

· Registered
8 Posts
People have got to remember that the tax credit was just that. It was to offset your personal tax owed at the end of the year with no carryovers. The price that you pay is the same for all of us depending on the model trim and your local taxes. SOA has been clamping down on dealerships that have been trying to add on dealer markups. The way it stands right now after the inflation reduction act there are not a lot of cars that currently qualify let alone available in stock. Mine is supposed to show up later this month and I want it.

· Registered
516 Posts
Hopefully the dealer not marking it up when it arrives, they said only charges a splash guard added on for $199
Those are super-easy to install and generally about $50 cheaper online (and if you poke around there are some that offer no tax and free shipping, or local pickup), but some Toyota dealers are listing them for much less.

For example: Splashguards, PK38942P10SP - $74.43

Attachments

· Registered
128 Posts
Those are super-easy to install and generally about $50 cheaper online (and if you poke around there are some that offer no tax and free shipping, or local pickup), but some Toyota dealers are listing them for much less.

For example: Splashguards, PK38942P10SP - $74.43
Thanks for posting. Will use this guide to hopefully install some Rally Armor flaps.

· Registered
516 Posts
Thanks for your information 😃 the dealer always try to get most money out of you, they said it is required to purchase the solterra 🤣
Just to "defend" the dealer, if it was ordered as a port installed option then there's nothing they can do. But many dealers try to sell accessories post-delivery (or as part of the delivery) because they get the full accessory price plus they add labor to install it. I have purchased port-installed items a number of times over the many, many vehicles I've ordered because you get professional installers (at no additional cost) as the vehicle rolls off the ship, you can work in discounts off the retail accessory price as part of your deal, plus the ability to wrap the cost of those items into your loan or lease.

So sometimes it works out, but I just thought I'd share the considerations I've had in the past before getting accessories through the dealer.

· Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Good points. I'm only planning one accessory purchase that will actually require "installation", the splash guards, but I could probably do it myself. The dealership I'll be ordering them through (not the one I ordered my car through) discounts all accessories 10%. Not a huge discount, but not nothing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts