Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2021 Ascent Limited; 2023 Bolt EUV Premier w/S&S, SC
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread on things that should be requested of the dealer upon delivery. If anyone has anything cool to add, please do.

@JayEM pointed out the location in the manual where the dealer can turn off a continuous chime inside the vehicle when it is put into reverse. This is from page 576 in the Owner's Manual. It says it can be changed to Mute, but maybe it does beep once.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

The setting that I'm most interested is the ability to open all windows on the vehicle remotely via the fob. I assume it's the third one on the list here. Such a great feature because it allows you to dump the hot air out of the car quickly by opening the windows a minute or so before you get in. On my Honda Odyssey, it was press the Unlock button and then press and hold the Unlock button. On my Chevy Bolt EUV, it's just hold the Unlock button.

On the Odyssey, you could also turn the key in the driver's lock to unlock and then turn again and hold to roll them all down. And turn to lock and then turn and hold to roll them all up. That was a nice feature, too, but not as available if you have to pull the key out of the fob to do it. I assume that's what the first and second options are below. Can anyone confirm? I would assume that these are from the Toyota way of doing things. I'm not aware of Subaru allowing control of the windows from the fob.

Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Number

· Registered
297 Posts
Why can’t all of those options be set through the on-screen user interface?

Another ridiculous design decision.

After-sale changing of those parameters is at the mercy of a dealer’s service department as to what they’ll decide to charge for the “service”.

· Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why can’t all of those options be set through the on-screen user interface?

Another ridiculous design decision.

After-sale changing of those parameters is at the mercy of a dealer’s service department as to what they’ll decide to charge for the “service”.
I tend to agree, but I bet some of those are settings where the vehicle owner changes something and then goes back to the dealer and complains when things don't work right for them -- like the remote A/C settings.

I would expect other settings, like disabling the Rear Cross-Traffic Alert to require a dealer's help to disable.

One thing I've heard about the "open all windows" function is that on some cars, it would open the sunroof, too, and if that happens accidentally somehow without the owner knowing, they'd get rain inside the car. That is anecdotal only, so I'm not sure it's even true. Not a concern for the Solterra/bZ4X since the panoramic roof on the Touring doesn't open.

· Super Moderator
2023 Subaru Solterra with Technology Package, Platinum White with Two-Tone Black Roof
416 Posts
Thought I'd start a thread on things that should be requested of the dealer upon delivery. If anyone has anything cool to add, please do.

@JayEM pointed out the location in the manual where the dealer can turn off a continuous chime inside the vehicle when it is put into reverse. This is from page 576 in the Owner's Manual. It says it can be changed to Mute, but maybe it does beep once.

View attachment 1421

The setting that I'm most interested is the ability to open all windows on the vehicle remotely via the fob. I assume it's the third one on the list here. Such a great feature because it allows you to dump the hot air out of the car quickly by opening the windows a minute or so before you get in. On my Honda Odyssey, it was press the Unlock button and then press and hold the Unlock button. On my Chevy Bolt EUV, it's just hold the Unlock button.

On the Odyssey, you could also turn the key in the driver's lock to unlock and then turn again and hold to roll them all down. And turn to lock and then turn and hold to roll them all up. That was a nice feature, too, but not as available if you have to pull the key out of the fob to do it. I assume that's what the first and second options are below. Can anyone confirm? I would assume that these are from the Toyota way of doing things. I'm not aware of Subaru allowing control of the windows from the fob.

View attachment 1420
Great idea to start a thread on this!

· Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would assume that the Solterra will function as a Toyota in that regard. If that's the case, you might want to look into an OBD2 scanner and the Carista app. You'll have to do your own research and maybe others with experience can chime in. You'd probably have to access it as a RAV4 or maybe a Prius Prime at this point. Here's some info.

· Super Moderator
2023 Subaru Solterra with Technology Package, Platinum White with Two-Tone Black Roof
416 Posts
Disable reverse warning buzzer is the first thing I'm going to ask my dealership to do, when I finally get a delivery date!

I need to look through the rest of that section of the manual to what other irritations can be turned off.
After test driving the past couple days, I definitely noticed how annoying the reverse warning buzzer is. It’s the same chime as when you don’t have your seat belt on. I know I’m in reverse, I don’t need the car to constantly remind me lol

· Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
After test driving the past couple days, I definitely noticed how annoying the reverse warning buzzer is. It’s the same chime as when you don’t have your seat belt on. I know I’m in reverse, I don’t need the car to constantly remind me lol
Weird, I heard no such sound when in reverse (and we were in reverse a few times - got lost, made a few 3-point turns). I wonder if my dealership had already turned that off on the car I tested? I was on the lookout for the womp-womp sound, but I'm sure I would have heard the beep in reverse if it had been present.

Later, when our SA was driving us around the parking lot to check out their other Solterra, he didn't have his seatbelt on and THAT was super annoying. It kept getting louder and LOUDER... until we finally reached our destination. If the reverse alert makes that same sound, turning that off is a must!

· Super Moderator
416 Posts
Weird, I heard no such sound when in reverse (and we were in reverse a few times - got lost, made a few 3-point turns). I wonder if my dealership had already turned that off on the car I tested? I was on the lookout for the womp-womp sound, but I'm sure I would have heard the beep in reverse if it had been present.

Later, when our SA was driving us around the parking lot to check out their other Solterra, he didn't have his seatbelt on and THAT was super annoying. It kept getting louder and LOUDER... until we finally reached our destination. If the reverse alert makes that same sound, turning that off is a must!
After I watched this video tonight I got reminded of it (nothing new in it, I just constantly look for new Solterra content on YouTube). Go to the 6:45 mark. She doesn’t keep it in reverse long, but you can clearly hear it chime a couple times before she moves back to park.

· Super Moderator
416 Posts
After I watched this video tonight I got reminded of it (nothing new in it, I just constantly look for new Solterra content on YouTube). Go to the 6:45 mark. She doesn’t keep it in reverse long, but you can clearly hear it chime a couple times before she moves back to park.

But now I need to check again lol
Because I can’t remember if that sound was with no belt in the parking when I was playing with the shift dial or when I had the belt on and actually driving?

· Registered
11 Posts
One thing I've heard about the "open all windows" function is that on some cars, it would open the sunroof, too, and if that happens accidentally somehow without the owner knowing, they'd get rain inside the car. That is anecdotal only, so I'm not sure it's even true. Not a concern for the Solterra/bZ4X since the panoramic roof on the Touring doesn't open.
This did happen to me. My CR-V opened everything including the sun roof while it was raining after an accidental long press of the key FOB in my pocket. Luckily I noticed before too long, but I am NOT in favor of this feature after my experience.

· Registered
Vancouver, BC 2023 Solterra Tech Pkg
480 Posts
Today I went down to the dealer and got rid of that obnoxious reverse chime inside the car. Much better now,... We already have that rear view camera pop up when in reverse, so no idea why they had that chime set on as well.

· Registered
11 Posts
I don’t hate it enough to run to the dealer, but the first time I take it for service I will probably ask them to disable it.

Today I went down to the dealer and got rid of that obnoxious reverse chime inside the car. Much better now,... We already have that rear view camera pop up when in reverse, so no idea why they had that chime set on as well.

· Registered
Vancouver, BC 2023 Solterra Tech Pkg
480 Posts
I don’t hate it enough to run to the dealer, but the first time I take it for service I will probably ask them to disable it.
With the other car in the garage, too, it is a little tight and I am close to the wall. So when backing out, I have both the proximity sensors going off (which I don't mind) and this loud chime. So it was a little distracting. Plus it sounds just like the seat belt off chime, which can be confusing as well. My wife didn't like it either...

Slowly getting other customizations and set-ups completed. I have my phone set up with a digital key. So don't have to carry the key fob if I don't want to. Also have my Android Auto set up, and really nice that I don't have to plug the phone in. Just get in the car, press the AA button on the screen and the default open is whatever I had on last, usually Google Maps or Waze. Wireless AA is sure a lot more usable now, with never having to touch your phone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts