1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yeah the tag line is “here are the top cars to ease your range anxiety”. The Solterra may not be a stand out top 10, but the crux of the article seems to be that these cars have respectable range.
Also, most of the cars in the top 10 are way more expensive than the Solterra (sadly, a couple of Teslas are competitively priced - at least before factoring in US tax credits).

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
285 Posts
I would wait for Edmunds to do their test of the Solterra before coming to any conclusions. EPA can be very misleading.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek Limited
97 Posts
I noticed this video of a BZ4x AWD XLE showing 283 on the guess-o-meter. Later in the video the range is displaying 276.

View attachment 662
View attachment 663
Seeing this, begs the question, 222 or 228 miles is based on what percent of battery charge? If the Solterra matches what is seen here, than 80% is the reported mileage.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Seeing this, begs the question, 222 or 228 miles is based on what percent of battery charge? If the Solterra matches what is seen here, than 80% is the reported mileage.
It's not unusual for the GOM to show a higher number than the official rating, depending on the most recent driving experience. That said, based on my own experience, 24% over the tested range (using 228 miles) would be at the way high end... So maybe the 222/228 figures are in fact quite conservative (see: Porsche Taycan)?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Let's wait and see what a real world mileage test shows. And by the way, I wouldn't buy any of those other cars on that list because I don’t want a Kia/Hyundai/VW/Ford/Nissan or I can’t afford the others at the trim I want.
Kia/Hyundai have issues with AC/Heat, 12 volt battery dying among other things.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek Limited
97 Posts
It’s just a standard 12 volt car battery. It has one to run the electronics, some lights, etc. those things all run off a 12 volt battery. They aren’t going to redesign all of those things to run off 400 bolts or whatever the drive battery is.
dies
The 90% after 10 years is not this battery. This will need replacing, maybe every 3 years. And if it dies while you are going someplace, your car will not work.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was referring to one of the reasons I won’t buy the Ioniq is they seem to have some issue with the 12 volt battery.
I believe the dead-12v-battery issue was determined to be an issue with the charging door. Some customers were trying to push the corner of the charging door to open it, which caused deformation of the door, which led to a continual drain of the 12v battery related to a sensor in the door. Instead of actually fixing the problem, Hyundai appears to consider the issue a ”customer education” problem. :-/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts