Subaru Solterra Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
Also on p 71 a more puzzling statement --
"To prevent the 12-volt battery from being discharged, do not leave the charging port lid open or the charging cable connected to the vehicle."
I thought one could leave the charging cable connected in cold weather for battery warming.

· Super Moderator
2023 Subaru Solterra with Technology Package, Platinum White with Two-Tone Black Roof
423 Posts
RP, could you explain how one turns a Solterra "fully on"? Sounds like a critical piece of information. Thanks!
I would assume by hitting the start button while your foot is on the break rather than hitting the start button once without your foot on the break? Similar to a gas car, accessory mode vs. on position

· Registered
Vancouver, BC 2023 Solterra Tech Pkg
479 Posts
I would assume by hitting the start button while your foot is on the break rather than hitting the start button once without your foot on the break? Similar to a gas car, accessory mode vs. on position
Yes, that is correct. I mistakenly assumed that the 12V was still getting charged by the traction battery.

· Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
Yes, that is correct. I mistakenly assumed that the 12V was still getting charged by the traction battery.
That's the same thing as "Ready" state, right?

· Registered
479 Posts
My BM2 on order still hasn't shipped (from China) so I plugged in this volt monitor (has a couple extra USB ports, too). On start up, the voltage briefly goes up to 14.3V indicating a bulk charge. Shortly afterwards it goes down to 13.5 indicating a float charge, which is what you would expect with a fully charged battery. But when driving it drops to 12.7V which is still 100% SOC, and then occasionally goes back up to 13.5 and then back to 12.7. I actually would have expected it to stay at 13.5.

When I shut down the car and before I open the door (12V port is still active), I see the voltage drop pretty rapidly, down to 12.3 and going even lower before I open the door. Not sure what it is doing, but seems to have a heavy draw for a while when shutting down. When I check the battery later with a multi meter, it is stabilized at 12.3 or 12.4, which is not bad, but certainly not at full SOC. Not sure what to make of that. Perhaps while my battery checked out OK at the dealer, it has indeed lost some capacity as indicated by the SOC after the surface charge was removed so rapidly.
Vehicle Car Automotive design Hood Personal luxury car

· Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
That is helpful, as is this on p 231.

"4 Press the power switch shortly and firmly.
When operating the power switch, one short, firm press is enough. It is not necessary to press and hold the switch.
If the “READY” indicator turns on, the EV system will operate normally.
Continue depressing the brake pedal until the “READY” indicator is illuminated.
The EV system can be started from any power switch mode."

· Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
My BM2 on order still hasn't shipped (from China) so I plugged in this volt monitor (has a couple extra USB ports, too). On start up, the voltage briefly goes up to 14.3V indicating a bulk charge. Shortly afterwards it goes down to 13.5 indicating a float charge, which is what you would expect with a fully charged battery. But when driving it drops to 12.7V which is still 100% SOC, and then occasionally goes back up to 13.5 and then back to 12.7. I actually would have expected it to stay at 13.5.

When I shut down the car and before I open the door (12V port is still active), I see the voltage drop pretty rapidly, down to 12.3 and going even lower before I open the door. Not sure what it is doing, but seems to have a heavy draw for a while when shutting down. When I check the battery later with a multi meter, it is stabilized at 12.3 or 12.4, which is not bad, but certainly not at full SOC. Not sure what to make of that. Perhaps while my battery checked out OK at the dealer, it has indeed lost some capacity as indicated by the SOC after the surface charge was removed so rapidly.
View attachment 1675
I hope you're not observing the start of a 12v failure (the dealership's testing notwithstanding) but it seems you might be.

After sitting for many months, I'm not surprised there have been 12v issues.

· Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek Limited
118 Posts

View attachment 1675

Where did you get this plugin volt meter?

· Registered
479 Posts
Where did you get this plugin volt meter?
Amazon. Lots of similar ones...

· Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek Limited
118 Posts
Amazon. Lots of similar ones...
thanks

41 - 54 of 54 Posts