Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forward thinking here...

Quite a few other Subaru owners have been using an adapter utilizing their powered mirror connector to help provide a shortened way to have their dash cam permanently hardwired.

Dongar Technologies - Amazon Link HERE

Subaru Outback Examples - Including A-OK location for Eyesight...

Obviously, new parameters will be issued for the new Subaru/Toyota sensors being used. But this will give us a place to start thinking of how/where to mount one...

The unit plugs inline with the powered mirror connectors with a short 'piggy' tail for easier placement. For me it tucks nicely within the eyesight housing cover.

Font Engineering Electronic device Output device Brand
Hood Automotive design Automotive mirror Automotive exterior Eyewear
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting

Attachments

Reactions: BinPNW

·
Administrator
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Reserved

·
Registered
436 Posts
The "EyeSight" (Subaru Sense?) camera in the Solterra is bonded to the windshield, rather than being on the inside of the windshield as with "conventional" EyeSight, so (since the camera cannot see the inside surface of the windshield) presumably, there are no areas on the windshield that need to be kept free of "obstructions" or things that would cause strange reflections.

·
Registered
154 Posts
There was a dashcam on the accessories list in the first build sheet videos from Japan, so there may be one that just "clips in" to the huge block of sensors and wiring attached to the top of the windshield.

·
Administrator
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@JayEM, like I mentioned.... My example on location will be mute once SOA publishes their recommended locations for dash-cams / "Fast" pass, toll roads sensors... (y)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’ve also been thinking of the best DashCam location for the Solterra, it terrifies me to be out on the road without one for a second given the horrible drivers out there nearly all of whom who would also lie to authorities and insurance. I do not have EyeSight in either of our Subarus but I know they have a much more restrictive, or larger area than cannot be obstructed by anything on the windshield than the Safety Sense 3.0 of the Solterra which seems to limit only 1.5” around the camera housing at the windshield.
Font Rectangle Parallel Circle Pattern

·
Administrator
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those camera specs are horrible, imo.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bookmarking this thread. Planning to have a dashcam as well. It's saved my *** in the past. Part of me was planning to look into Solterra extended warranties given it's a brand new platform, but I wouldn't be surprised if a hardwired dashcam would "void" the warranty.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bookmarking this thread. Planning to have a dashcam as well. It's saved my *** in the past. Part of me was planning to look into Solterra extended warranties given it's a brand new platform, but I wouldn't be surprised if a hardwired dashcam would "void" the warranty.
I know the Tesla automagically starts to record everything around the car if someone or something approaches. Can the Solterra Limited and Touring do this as well?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I know the Tesla automagically starts to record everything around the car if someone or something approaches. Can the Solterra Limited and Touring do this as well?
I’m sure they could have programmed it to do so, but it definitely does not with the existing camera systems.

The accessory available in Japan doesn’t attempt to do this, either.

Too bad, I really like that feature from the Telsas.

I would like to be able to plug a flash drive into the USB-A socket and have it record to there.

But let’s just get them to improve the charging, first. Everything else seems to be nicely done.

·
Registered
129 Posts
STIS service manual electrical diagrams show connector N20 as "OPTION CONNECTOR" on the No. 1 Roof Wire.

It shows a five pin connector near the rear view mirror. It's a white connector, Toyota part number 90980-12365. That five pin connector is used on other models as part of wiring in the seats, so a bit more work would probably expose the mating connector part number if someone wanted to roll-their-own cable to plug right in.

It's wired with a Ground and two 12V lines.

One 12V line is on the 10A ECU-B No. 2 fuse (constant battery power).

The second is on the 10A ECU-IGR No. 2 fuse (switched "ignition").

·
Registered
32 Posts
STIS service manual electrical diagrams show connector N20 as "OPTION CONNECTOR" on the No. 1 Roof Wire.

It shows a five pin connector near the rear view mirror. It's a white connector, Toyota part number 90980-12365. That five pin connector is used on other models as part of wiring in the seats, so a bit more work would probably expose the mating connector part number if someone wanted to roll-their-own cable to plug right in.

It's wired with a Ground and two 12V lines.

One 12V line is on the 10A ECU-B No. 2 fuse (constant battery power).

The second is on the 10A ECU-IGR No. 2 fuse (switched "ignition").
It appears 90980-12366 (one number up) is the female counterpart. Thanks n6nl

1 - 15 of 15 Posts