Subaru Solterra Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
Vancouver, BC 2023 Solterra Tech Pkg
479 Posts
I reached out to my aftermarket support at the dealership regarding this question. He had also heard of the 80/20 rule, but has no official information from Subaru. He recommended it as a best practice at this time.

I updated my car to charge to a maximum 80% on L2/L1 chargers from the Settings menu. I don’t let it dip below 20%, and charge to 80% for daily driving.

Of note, when you set it to charge to 80% and have the charger lock enabled, you must unlock the car using an unlock button on the driver door or remote in order to remove the charger (even after charging is suspended). When I charged to 100% the first time, I did not need to press the unlock button (it released when I used the touch sensor in the door handle).

I plan to charge to 100% infrequently for a long drive that I perform (usually) 2x per month (the reason I needed an extended range battery).
Their is a setting that will unlock the connector automatically when fully charged, page 571 of the manual.

· Super Moderator
2023 Subaru Solterra with Technology Package, Platinum White with Two-Tone Black Roof
423 Posts
Their is a setting that will unlock the connector automatically when fully charged, page 571 of the manual.
If the connector is unlocked, does that mean the car won't grab power from the AC source at all anymore? Just thinking in winter, if the car is fully charged overnight at some point (lets say it finishes at 3AM), and the charger unlocks. Does that mean it can no longer draw power from the AC source in order to run the battery heater or pre-condition the cabin and instead it will be drawing from the traction battery?

· Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
If the connector is unlocked, does that mean the car won't grab power from the AC source at all anymore? Just thinking in winter, if the car is fully charged overnight at some point (lets say it finishes at 3AM), and the charger unlocks. Does that mean it can no longer draw power from the AC source in order to run the battery heater or pre-condition the cabin and instead it will be drawing from the traction battery?
I suspect the lock will re-engage if it starts drawing power again.

But it only locks if you lock the car. If the car is just parked unlocked in your garage, the connector won't be locked in place.

At least it's that way "with other EVs".

· Registered
Vancouver, BC 2023 Solterra Tech Pkg
479 Posts
The auto unlock just allows you to pull it out without unlocking the car again. It is still connected until you pull it out. I assume it will restart charging, and will relock if you raise the % max, but have not tested that.

· Registered
114 Posts
I suspect the lock will re-engage if it starts drawing power again.

But it only locks if you lock the car. If the car is just parked unlocked in your garage, the connector won't be locked in place.

At least it's that way "with other EVs".
Actually this is not how it works. See pp. 91-2 of the Owner's Manual (latest digital version). The default connector lock setting is auto lock on starting charging. One can change the lock setting.

This implies, I infer, that a locked or unlocked connector will allow charging or other functions like battery heating ot "My Room" mode.

· Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
Actually this is not how it works. See pp. 91-2 of the Owner's Manual (latest digital version). The default connector lock setting is auto lock on starting charging. One can change the lock setting.

This implies, I infer, that a locked or unlocked connector will allow charging or other functions like battery heating ot "My Room" mode.
OK, thanks for clarifying. I see I'm going to have some re-learning to do when (if?) my Solterra arrives.

I'd had my i3 almost 3 years before I realized the charge port door locks when the car is locked. I almost always charge with the car unlocked, and when I charge-while-shopping I almost always plug the car in before locking the doors. Except that one time.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts