Subaru Solterra Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think it's going to be clear by tax time if we qualify.
I think it was pretty clear as soon as the legislation was signed, I was just responding to those that were taking about "risking it" and filing anyway. And all I was saying is you'll probably get your money, but there's no way to tell whether you'll be able to keep it or not.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Charging speed is meaningless if there are no chargers. It’s why I dumped my 2021 Mach-E Standard Range last fall and chose longer range EVs. I had 180 mile round trip (160 of it at 75-80mph which kills efficiency) and with a 211 EPA range the MME was barely making it back. No side trips. No DC chargers on the route. I would need to detour 15-20 miles at least and add a full hour to a trip that with an ICE SUV would be simple.

I think the Solterra’s range is simply too low for me. I had hoped in a year they’d build DC chargers in the 180mile round trip path I take every month or so…but nope. Nothing. CCS charging desert. The last few times I took my (now sold) Model Y which there were at least 3 Supercharger options on that same route.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Where do you take that from? Other manufacturers have been upgrading their charging speeds while keeping intact their batteries (i.e. iD4 whose speed increased from 125kw to 135, to 150 or 170kw).
Why wouldn't it be possible in the Solterra's case?
Because the battery pack and chemistry doesn’t allow it. Actually I think it’s more the battery configuration rather than the chemistry per se.

See more here Will Solterra have an LFP Battery?

·
Registered
135 Posts
We don't know yet what the Solterra's real-world highway range is. And eventually, they're supposed to put DC fast chargers every 50 miles on major Interstates.
Supposed to… it’s been a FULL year since I traded my low range Mach-E Standard Range for a RAV4 Prime (that got eventually traded for a Telluride) and the round trips I want to take still don’t make it easy for a sub 220 highway mile EV because no CCS DC chargers have been built and NEVI funding won’t start granting funds until mid 2023 so that means chargers won’t be installed until late 2023 or early 2024. Those trips require a 16 mile detour (I checked it), 20-30 mins charge, 16 mile return back to other highway which just adds an hour to what should be a trivial day trip.

The Mach-E had a 68 kWh usable (now 71) battery which is about the same as the Solterra. And that had 211-220 mile range. 240 miles for the Solterra - given the higher ground clearance and shape is very unlikely.

Lower range EVs work great if you solely stay within cities and travel to other metro areas but as soon as you deviant off the beaten path then you are at the mercy of our questionable CCS charging network in the US. I think the Solterra needs an extra 10-15 kWh of battery. ID.4 or Ioniq 5 sized. Nissan Ariya will ship with an 87 kWh pack which is one of the largest for a compact crossover (except Mach-E with 99 kWh).

21 - 28 of 28 Posts