1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if it will help out someone.
But I canceled my wife's Solterra order today
Dealer was Serramonte Subaru in Colma, CA
not far from the SFO International Airport.

Serramonte referred me to Subaru Corporate
at 800-782-2783 to procure the $250 deposit.
Provide your Reservation Code and Vehicle Order # to quicken the process.
I received a Case ID #, and then a call back
to verify my email and my street address.
Simple, but took 45 minutes in total.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Preferred AWD LR
31 Posts
Are they mailing you the check? If so, that's ridiculous. I reserved my Ioniq 5 in the US and Canada, and when I cancelled my US reservation 6 months after I made it, they just refunded my credit card.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I did cancel my wife's Solterra. But still have an order in my name that I'll probably cancel soon. And yea.. my $250 deposit was refunded to the credit card 2 days later.

Somebody asked why... well, I've lost almost all enthusiasm.
I got to view and sit in a plain white BZ4X at our local Toyota dealer 4 or 5 months ago. Did not like it much. Instead of looking like a Rav4 as in the marketing photos, it was more like a Venza. Meaning the overall appearance seemed more like a station wagon than an SUV. And the rear seat leg room was poor for a tall guy. Not that I'd would ever be sitting in the back.

We also discovered over time that the range, the acceleration and charging times are near the bottom of equivalent EVs. BTW, I do believe the wheel issue will be solved, But it has already taken a long time with no clues of how much longer.

The recent loss of $7500 tax credit, I think was the final blow. We were positioned to take full advantage of it this year. Now its gone and added $7500 to the cost of the Solterra.

I DID, however, today order a 2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid pickup truck. The order banks opened Thursday Sept 15th. The 2023 model year is expected to be sold out by Tuesday Sept 20th. Yikes! :)
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m so disappointed in Subaru and the total lack of communication to their loyal community. I have owned Subarus for a long time but it’s looking like I might have to bail to get an EV. Of course now everyone that ordered in February are hosed on the tax credit for any type of car because there is nothing to be had anywhere. Ordering for anything seems to be mid to late 2023. If I had known I would have bought an ev earlier this year and then traded for the solterra whenever it came out. Also wondering if anyone knows which other EV SUVs will have a roof rack. I need to carry my canoe and that is my primary requirement. Other than the car actually existing of course. So very disappointed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've ordered my Solterra, and since no other EV that I would consider buying seems to be available any faster than the Solterra, I'll wait for it to arrive. Tax credit is kind of a moot point now, because no vehicle I want to buy will qualify. If I'm lucky, a confirmed factory order and deposit will get me grandfathered. If not, that's life.

FWIW, even though I placed an order, I told the sales manager that I can't make a firm commitment to a vehicle I haven't even seen, much less driven. Her response? "That won't be a problem; we have 14 orders and a wait list of over 50 people."

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've ordered my Solterra, and since no other EV that I would consider buying seems to be available any faster than the Solterra, I'll wait for it to arrive. Tax credit is kind of a moot point now, because no vehicle I want to buy will qualify. If I'm lucky, a confirmed factory order and deposit will get me grandfathered. If not, that's life.

FWIW, even though I placed an order, I told the sales manager that I can't make a firm commitment to a vehicle I haven't even seen, much less driven. Her response? "That won't be a problem; we have 14 orders and a wait list of over 50 people."
Your statements are conflicting and thus I doubt you will be eligible for the tax credit. IRS wants binding contracts with unlimited damages. Fisker is a great example of this $5K non refundable deposit and Fisker can sue for extra payment like $3K shipping if the buyer backs out of the deal.

IRS suggested a 5% deposit as an example which I doubt most of us did. My deposit was close though but it was fully refundable. Also some states like CA and WA do not allow binding contracts on non produced cars (has to be physically made or on the lot - I don’t know the exact rules).

·
Registered
40 Posts
You statements are conflicting and thus I doubt you will be eligible for the tax credit. IRS wants binding contracts with unlimited damages. Fisker is a great example of this $5K non refundable deposit and Fisker can sue for extra payment like $3K shipping if the buyer backs out of the deal.

IRS suggested a 5% deposit as an example which I doubt most of us did. My deposit was close though but it was fully refundable. Also some states like CA and WA do not allow binding contracts on non produced cars (has to be physically made or on the lot - I don’t know the exact rules).
Did you mean to reply to me? I am in NJ. I will probably ask a lawyer + tax consultant just to make sure.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did you mean to reply to me? I am in NJ. I will probably ask a lawyer + tax consultant just to make sure.
No.. @CTValleySubaruGuy

As for accountants + consultants... there was a guy on FB who asked his accountant last week if the EV6 was eligible for a tax credit and was told yes and so he bought one. The accountant didn't know the rules changed a month ago.

The whole transition rule is a mess but I'm sure 99% of Solterra orders don't qualify because most of us paid sub-5% refundable deposits and our contracts had limited damages. Ask your lawyer + tax consultant though and not some random person (me) on the interwebs :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
So what part of my statements do you see as conflicting? The fact that I told my sales manager that I can't commit while still hoping I can get a tax credit based on a firm order? My sales manager doesn't work for the IRS; and if I don't take delivery, I wouldn't be eligible anyway.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My good friend is a CPA and partner in his firm. He got the following information a week or two ago. It looks like the IRS is going to adhere to the 5%. Not looking good for anyone that got any sort of written contract and/or deposit on or before August 16th without putting down at least 5%. He said that's what he and his firm will be advising their clients and it would be a $7,500 gamble if clients decided to try to proceed.

Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Number Document

·
Registered
60 Posts
Or they could proceed under the assumption that they're not getting the credit, and consider it a pleasant surprise if they do.
Absolutely. That's what my dad use to say was "just getting some extra gravy on the potatoes".

However for me, the $7,500 rebate is what made me consider this car. At M.S.R.P. without the credit, sorry, to many other EV's that are more appealing. Again, that's just my opinion and I'm sure many others would disagree (including the 50 people on the waiting list of the above mentioned post).

·
Registered
40 Posts
My good friend is a CPA and partner in his firm. He got the following information a week or two ago. It looks like the IRS is going to adhere to the 5%. Not looking good for anyone that got any sort of written contract and/or deposit on or before August 16th without putting down at least 5%. He said that's what he and his firm will be advising their clients and it would be a $7,500 gamble if clients decided to try to proceed.

View attachment 1118
shit… maybe I’ll just wait for the built in Texas Cybertruck…

·
Registered
593 Posts
Absolutely. That's what my dad use to say was "just getting some extra gravy on the potatoes".

However for me, the $7,500 rebate is what made me consider this car. At M.S.R.P. without the credit, sorry, to many other EV's that are more appealing. Again, that's just my opinion and I'm sure many others would disagree (including the 50 people on the waiting list of the above mentioned post).
Only potential Solterra showstopper for me is charging speed. Hoping software can fix that. But, in the end it's a Subaru (albeit Toyota+Subaru).✨⚡

·
Registered
355 Posts
Or they could proceed under the assumption that they're not getting the credit, and consider it a pleasant surprise if they do.
I think the reality is that if you claim the credit then you’ll get it, since it’s just another tax return that will be automatically processed (the IRS don’t decide on the fly what portions of your tax return are valid).

The real question will come later down the road for the next 7 years while you wonder whether you’re going to get audited and have to pay the refund back, plus interest, plus a likely penalty.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I think the reality is that if you claim the credit then you’ll get it, since it’s just another tax return that will be automatically processed (the IRS don’t decide on the fly what portions of your tax return are valid).

The real question will come later down the road for the next 7 years while you wonder whether you’re going to get audited and have to pay the refund back, plus interest, plus a likely penalty.
I think it's going to be clear by tax time if we qualify.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts