Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like good news in the 2022 Budget regarding the Canada iZEV program.

“To help make zero-emission vehicles more affordable for Canadians, Budget 2022 “proposes to provide $1.7 billion over five years, starting in 2022-23, with $0.8 million in remaining amortization, to Transport Canada to extend the Incentives for Zero-Emission Vehicles (iZEV) program until March 2025. Eligibility under the program will also be broadened to support the purchase of more vehicle models, including more vans, trucks, and SUVs, which will help make ZEVs more affordable.” Further details are awaited.
Charging stations are not left behind, as the Canada Infrastructure Bank will invest $500 million in large-scale urban and commercial zero-emission vehicle charging and refuelling infrastructure. The government also proposes to provide $400 million over five years, starting in 2022-23, to Natural Resources Canada to fund the deployment of zero-emission vehicle charging infrastructure in suburban and remote communities through the Zero-Emission Vehicle Infrastructure Program.”

currently, to qualify for the federal incentive of $5000, the car needs to start below $45k and with packages, the trim cannot exceed $55k.
I except that range to change to include a slightly higher price range. Maybe start at or below 50-55 and max out at like 60-65.
I also expect they will increase the dollar amount to $7500 or $10k
What do you Canadian guys think? Could be perfect timing for Solterra deliveries here.

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
285 Posts
I don't think they should change or increase incentives until EV supply and inventories increase. If there is excess and people aren't buying, then they could incentivize further. And this is coming from someone (me) who just sold his current EV and has two more on pre-order (incl the Solterra). So I can only gain personally from more incentives.

Also, I think the provinces are waiting for the feds to provide more details of their program before changing or adding to theirs.

·
Super Moderator
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think they should change or increase incentives until EV supply and inventories increase. If there is excess and people aren't buying, then they could incentivize further. And this is coming from someone (me) who just sold his current EV and has two more on pre-order (incl the Solterra). So I can only gain personally from more incentives.

Also, I think the provinces are waiting for the feds to provide more details of their program before changing or adding to theirs.
I don’t believe inventories or supply should be an issue. The issue is currently cost. They are still a little pricey when compared to their equivalent gas models. The incentives help level that price and encourage people to consider the PHEV or BEV alternative. Supply on the entire vehicle industry is an issue right, not just BEVs (but BEVs and PHEVs are definitely hurting more for supply).

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
285 Posts
I don’t believe inventories or supply should be an issue. The issue is currently cost. They are still a little pricey when compared to their equivalent gas models. The incentives help level that price and encourage people to consider the PHEV or BEV alternative. Supply on the entire vehicle industry is an issue right, not just BEVs (but BEVs and PHEVs are definitely hurting more for supply).
Yes, they are pricey, but that is not stopping people from buying any that are available at this time. Remember this is tax payer's money and shouldn't be spent if not necessary. We are still in a deficit situation and the high debt (which really ballooned last couple of years) continues to grow. Ordinary people are seeing their disposable income shrink as inflation sores and wage increases can't keep up. More govt spending only increases that problem. Ironically, the only bright spot in our economy right now with the higher GDP is due to rising oil and commodity prices, which we have in abundance in Canada.

And if they increase the thresholds, that only helps the manufacturers, as I guarantee they will raise their prices to take advantage of that. Once supply/demand is in balance again, it may be necessary to further incentivize EV sales to keep the green move going.

Anyway, that is my opinion, and don't expect everyone to agree.

·
Registered
47 Posts
From https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transp...o-emission-vehicles#purchase-lease-incentives:

Before including a car on the list of eligible vehicles, Transport Canada has reviewed an application from the automaker and has found that the vehicle meets the iZEV Program requirements. Namely, that the vehicle is:

• a passenger car, where the base model Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $55,000; and
    • higher priced trims of these vehicles, up to a maximum MSRP of $65,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives;
or

• a station wagon, pickup truck (light truck), sport utility vehicle (SUV), minivan, van, or special purpose vehicle, where the base model Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $60,000; and
    • higher priced trims of these vehicles, up to a maximum MSRP of $70,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives.

BZ4X and Solterra are not on the list yet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
From https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transp...o-emission-vehicles#purchase-lease-incentives:

Before including a car on the list of eligible vehicles, Transport Canada has reviewed an application from the automaker and has found that the vehicle meets the iZEV Program requirements. Namely, that the vehicle is:

• a passenger car, where the base model Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $55,000; and
    • higher priced trims of these vehicles, up to a maximum MSRP of $65,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives;
or

• a station wagon, pickup truck (light truck), sport utility vehicle (SUV), minivan, van, or special purpose vehicle, where the base model Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is less than $60,000; and
    • higher priced trims of these vehicles, up to a maximum MSRP of $70,000, will also be eligible for purchase incentives.

BZ4X and Solterra are not on the list yet.
That's likely because pricing hasn't been announced yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts