Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yup, but not a lot there. They didn't even mention that the ability to schedule vehicle charging to off-peak times means it could actually improve the capacity utilization factor (for fossil-generated power, anyway).
Yep. Level loading is the key. They could also draw from the grid during off-peak hours at charging stations, saving to local storage, and dispensing as needed. This would also make charging stations profitable.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My utility offers time of use billing but they practically double the on peak cost. So, it is better for me to charge whenever. I leave it up to the utilities to figure out a way to balance - maybe offer incentives for me to charge below my peak rate as needed so there is less draw. If I only need to replenish 10 kWh, for example, I don’t care if I get that 10 kWh overnight over the course of 4 hours at 2.5 kWh per hour.

I would have even installed another meter specifically for the charger, they can definitely figure out a way to make it work. Maybe in 10 years the utility will even provide a “smart” L2 EVSE

·
Registered
350 Posts
My utility offers time of use billing but they practically double the on peak cost. So, it is better for me to charge whenever. I leave it up to the utilities to figure out a way to balance - maybe offer incentives for me to charge below my peak rate as needed so there is less draw. If I only need to replenish 10 kWh, for example, I don’t care if I get that 10 kWh overnight over the course of 4 hours at 2.5 kWh per hour.

I would have even installed another meter specifically for the charger, they can definitely figure out a way to make it work. Maybe in 10 years the utility will even provide a “smart” L2 EVSE
My utility offers an EV only rate, which favors off peak, but to use it I'd have to pay to install a second meter, and then pay the minimum monthly meter charge, which is almost as much as the $11-12/month I'm paying without said second meter and preferential rate. Clearly the utility isn't wanting me to switch, so it must not (yet) be a problem for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts