Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to say that I was disappointed about the weight capacity of the bz4x, which appears to be 1156 lbs.

But then I checked my Outback, and I saw that it was only 900 lbs. Oops.

Looks like I might be able to haul around more stuff in the Solterra.

·
Registered
13 Posts
EVs as a rule are so much heavier than their ICEV counterparts. The heaviest gas-powered Subie is the seven-seater Ascent which starts at 4,430lbs (2,010 kgs). The Solterra with the 72.8kWh CATL battery pack and twin motors rolls in at 4,453lbs (2,020 kgs). It's manufactured to carry that extra battery weight so it can handle a bit more load too.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
186 Posts
The cargo capacity is also part of the reason that the company isn't going to encourage any kind of towing because tongue weight comes out of the cargo number. Consider what four adults plus their stuff might weigh in that respect. I suspect suspension design is setup to keep things balanced with the batteries down low and the cargo in the cabin, too, and hanging any weight out back might upset that. This is speculation on my part, however...

·
Registered
350 Posts
The cargo capacity is also part of the reason that the company isn't going to encourage any kind of towing because tongue weight comes out of the cargo number. Consider what four adults plus their stuff might weigh in that respect. I suspect suspension design is setup to keep things balanced with the batteries down low and the cargo in the cabin, too, and hanging any weight out back might upset that. This is speculation on my part, however...
The hit on range would be the other reason.... think 110 miles towing anything substantial up to 2,000 lbs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The hit on range would be the other reason.... think 110 miles towing anything substantial up to 2,000 lbs.
Plus it's a lot harder to pull up to the Electrify America charger at a WaWa or a Sheetz without blocking the other chargers. WalMart and Target parking lots have room, but not everywhere would.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts