Subaru Solterra Forum banner
161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
My thoughts are that for many folks awaiting their Solterra (or waiting to place their order for one), the “grace period” for Toyota/Subaru to figure out a workable solution and implement a resolution is going to start timing out by the end of August...especially if there’s another announcement of a 3rd+ month production delay/production line shut-down.

Most folks are willing to bide a reasonable amount of their time for new production “burps” that arise, especially mechanically oriented ones, and will allow even more time for unseen electronic or electrical bugs that suddenly show up.

For lots of people, the feeling will probably be:

Its hard to understand how a company that’s been attaching wheels for the better part of a century all of a sudden can‘t understand why wheels are coming loose. If a manufacturer can’t get a handle on something that basic to vehicle manufacturing, how in the hell are they going to deal with major issues?

After all, No one wants to be stuck paying taxes on and insuring a depreciating vehicle while it’s un-drive-able and parked in their garage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
My thoughts are that for many folks awaiting their Solterra (or waiting to place their order for one), the “grace period” for Toyota/Subaru to figure out a workable solution and implement a resolution is going to start timing out by the end of August...especially if there’s another announcement of a 3rd+ month production delay/production line shut-down.

Most folks are willing to bide a reasonable amount of their time for new production “burps” that arise, especially mechanically oriented ones, and will allow even more time for unseen electronic or electrical bugs that suddenly show up.

For lots of people, the feeling will probably be:

Its hard to understand how a company that’s been attaching wheels for the better part of a century all of a sudden can‘t understand why wheels are coming loose. If a manufacturer can’t get a handle on something that basic to vehicle manufacturing, how in the hell are they going to deal with major issues?

After all, No one wants to be stuck paying taxes on and insuring a depreciating vehicle while it’s un-drive-able and parked in their garage.
Us BZ4X folks have a tighter timetable: Tax credit gets cut in half on October 1st. I know, nothing really to do with this forum (other than BZ4X is the twin of the Solterra), just throwing it out there. It's especially agonizing that my BZ arrived (just made the cut on last ones produced - June 14th) in the Port of New York on Monday (July 18th) and will go absolutely nowhere until this is cleared up. So close....yet so far away! But, at least I have a chance as I don't have to wait for production to start up again and then one month just to ship it from Japan to NY.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Agreed.

While everyone hopes the bZ4x’s already in transport can be field-modified, there’s always the chance the repair may be of a nature that requires replacement vehicles. While I doubt that will be the case, it is a possibility.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Agreed.

While everyone hopes the bZ4x’s already in transport can be field-modified, there’s always the chance the repair may be of a nature that requires replacement vehicles. While I doubt that will be the case, it is a possibility.
IIRC - Toyota is taking back recalled vehicles and replacing them with new ones in markets where customers have already taken delivery

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don’t remember seeing anything claiming existing vehicle replacement…ie., new vehicle swap out.

Althought, it may come to that. Subaru went that route with some of the first production Acsents due to welding defects.l and a few years back, BMW replaced a few hundred vehicles due to some defect, althought I don’t recall the specifics as to what the defect was…

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don’t remember seeing anything claiming existing vehicle replacement…ie., new vehicle swap out.

Althought, it may come to that. Subaru went that route with some of the first production Acsents due to welding defects.l and a few years back, BMW replaced a few hundred vehicles due to some defect, althought I don’t recall the specifics as to what the defect was…
I see some of the same names here on the bz4x forum, so you may already know this.

The lemon laws are starting to kick in or already have - I think US sales were initially only in CA and their lemon law is for 30 days.

This should be fun.

I’m in NC and patiently waiting for the Solterra.
Our lemon law kicks in once the car has been out of service for 20 days in a row within the first and second year of the warranty.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I see some of the same names here on the bz4x forum, so you may already know this.

The lemon laws are starting to kick in or already have - I think US sales were initially only in CA and their lemon law is for 30 days.

This should be fun.

I’m in NC and patiently waiting for the Solterra.
Our lemon law kicks in once the car has been out of service for 20 days in a row within the first and second year of the warranty.

No Solterras have been sold to Dealers or Customers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
A reddit poster (who already had taken possession of the BZ4X) was contacted by Toyota Corporate offices yesterday. Here's the post information:

fc0romero
13 hours ago

A little update

Toyota corporate contacted me as I had been asking my dealership and social media outposts for updates, lady on the phone said that Toyota has taken all requests into account, meaning lender payments, insurance offsets for non-operation as opposed as full premiums, and compensations due to not having the car for so long, she said corporate is looking for the best way to make it right for us. She also explained that although there is no remedy news, Toyota is getting ready to contact owners at the beginning of next week, or the end of next week with an actual update.
My dealership also contacted me to bring in the RAV4 they loaned me, apparently loaners can only be out for a month at a time, so today they gave me a 4Runner for the next 30 days 🤷‍♂️Also made sure to ask if they have been getting my gas reimbursement receipts as I never get a confirmation, and she said yes. 😅
Supposedly straight from the horses mouth.

161 - 171 of 171 Posts