Subaru Solterra Forum banner
141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
From translated Korean article. If this is true, Toyota still doesn't know the reason why the bolts failed and are still investigating (into August it seems). Would have been quicker to revert to hub/studs/lug nuts lol.

Meanwhile, Toyota's first electric vehicle (EV), the 'bZ4X', which entered a recall (recovery and free repair) two months after its release due to possible vehicle defects, also stopped production in August. It is understood that there is a high possibility of a collision accident due to a wheel bolt problem.

Toyota has decided to suspend operation until next month as the investigation into the cause is not expected to be completed by the end of this month. As a result, the production and release of the bZ4X was delayed

·
Registered
533 Posts
I wonder how many people works full time on this. Imagine working 40 hours per week trying to figure why a bolt is falling of haha
Investigating how and why things fail is part of the engineering design process. It's just unfortunate to be doing this at this point in time. After this is all done, lessons will have been learned, future mistakes will be less likely.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Investigating how and why things fail is part of the engineering design process. It's just unfortunate to be doing this at this point in time. After this is all done, lessons will have been learned, future mistakes will be less likely.
Oh yeah I know I'm an Engineer and that's why I can imagine myself working full time, for weeks, on something everyone probably consider "granted". At my job we are machining custom bolts out of steel tubes for high pressure application. In the last year we received tubes with very small cracks inside and we were lucky to see it. Materials quality went down a lot last year with all those shortage.

They are looking at the manufacturing process, but I hope someone did a test on the bolt/nut itself. It may be as simple as bad alloy used for the bolt and/or nut.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Oh yeah I know I'm an Engineer and that's why I can imagine myself working full time, for weeks, on something everyone probably consider "granted". At my job we are machining custom bolts out of steel tubes for high pressure application. In the last year we received tubes with very small cracks inside and we were lucky to see it. Materials quality went down a lot last year with all those shortage.

They are looking at the manufacturing process, but I hope someone did a test on the bolt/nut itself. It may be as simple as bad alloy used for the bolt and/or nut.
Sorry, I didn't get that it was an inside joke. Yeah, me either (working on that full time), but then I'm not an engineer.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek Limited
95 Posts
I'm not an engineer. I worked with people who pressure tested everything from pipes to cement till failure to meet or beat the specs. I hope that was done there too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Canceled mine and getting another Crosstrek. My son crashed our third card (the one the two kids drive) and sharing 2 cars between 4 drivers has become unbearable. I'm so sad not to get the Solterra but the lack of information makes the waiting unsustainable!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
I'm not an engineer. I worked with people who pressure tested everything from pipes to cement till failure to meet or beat the specs. I hope that was done there too.
That's what is crazy about the whole situation. Would think that these were driven very hard during the development of the BZ/Solterra to find issues like this. Not only that, many of the test are usually run with production parts (suppliers submit test samples often in the year or more leading up to production date) from the production equipment at the supplier. I'm also an Engineer (Electrical) and have a hard time understanding why this wasn't found during testing if it were a design issue. Toyota may need a more strenuous testing procedure (or quit trying to reinvent the wheel - literally). Maybe I'm not qualified to understand 'mechanical' issues (being and EE lol).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just got this email from my dealer

“I'm back from our Subaru National Convention, right now they have let us know that it's being researched right now and they will be coming up with a remedy soon before the vehicle ships. They are working diligently and are confident they will have a fix soon. Subaru wants to make sure you get a safe car right from the start so they and us express our gratitude for your patience with this issue. Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions. Have a great week. “

·
Registered
533 Posts
Just got this email from my dealer

“I'm back from our Subaru National Convention, right now they have let us know that it's being researched right now and they will be coming up with a remedy soon before the vehicle ships. They are working diligently and are confident they will have a fix soon. Subaru wants to make sure you get a safe car right from the start so they and us express our gratitude for your patience with this issue. Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions. Have a great week. “
"they and us"???!

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's what is crazy about the whole situation. Would think that these were driven very hard during the development of the BZ/Solterra to find issues like this. Not only that, many of the test are usually run with production parts (suppliers submit test samples often in the year or more leading up to production date) from the production equipment at the supplier. I'm also an Engineer (Electrical) and have a hard time understanding why this wasn't found during testing if it were a design issue. Toyota may need a more strenuous testing procedure (or quit trying to reinvent the wheel - literally). Maybe I'm not qualified to understand 'mechanical' issues (being and EE lol).
I’m a software engineer and in the same boat. I really don’t think it’s a design issue but some parts/procedural issue that has confounded them. And it wouldn’t surprise me at all if the solution is a return to studs and nuts, but that will mean new WLTP testing as it will change the weight.

141 - 160 of 171 Posts