Subaru Solterra Forum banner
121 - 140 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I’m not anywhere near what one might call a conspiracy theorist, but I do wonder at times if there’s not a little bit more to the hub-nut story that we aren’t hearing about. And, the lack of any forthcoming information from either Toyota or Subaru isn’t exactly building a high level of confidence with the initial adopters of this vehicle platform.

Whicle I certainly agree that it’s always better to deal with small problems early, before they turn into big ones, a little communication/information about the steps they’re taking would most probably be a good thing for the potential customers and dealerships.

But, that’s just my opinion…

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m not anywhere near what one might call a conspiracy theorist, but I do wonder at times if there’s not a little bit more to the hub-nut story that we aren’t hearing about.
I suspect it’s something far more boring. I suspect it’s got mired in an internal argument about why they did the lug bolt thing in the first place.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I’m not anywhere near what one might call a conspiracy theorist, but I do wonder at times if there’s not a little bit more to the hub-nut story that we aren’t hearing about. And, the lack of any forthcoming information from either Toyota or Subaru isn’t exactly building a high level of confidence with the initial adopters of this vehicle platform.

Whicle I certainly agree that it’s always better to deal with small problems early, before they turn into big ones, a little communication/information about the steps they’re taking would most probably be a good thing for the potential customers and dealerships.

But, that’s just my opinion…
If this extra time will be used, in parallel with the recall issue, to improve charging speed, I'm good with it.⚡

·
Registered
533 Posts
The charging speed is dependent on the type of battery pack. Unless they change that, I suspect it will stay the same.
They could change the shape of the charging curve without changing the peak charging rate. That would improve overall charging times. VW did it for the ID4 via OTA (well, they did increase the peak too).

·
Registered
469 Posts
They could change the shape of the charging curve without changing the peak charging rate. That would improve overall charging times. VW did it for the ID4 via OTA (well, they did increase the peak too).
From what I've seen, the shape of the charging curve is pretty good. It's just too low across the board. It may be limited by software.

·
Registered
13 Posts
From what I've seen, the shape of the charging curve is pretty good. It's just too low across the board. It may be limited by software.
Not really. It stays at 80+kW until 20% or so and then it’s just a steady decline down. Most of the EVs with better charging curves stay flat at 100+kW until at least 50%… and some up until close to 80%.

For example, the ID.4’s original charging curve stayed above 100kW until about 40% and then began declining. The updated curve for the ID.4 now maintains that 100+kW rate until 80%.

I really hope Subaru/Toyota is just being conservative at launch, and they’ll eventually update the CATL charging curve to stay above 80kW until at least 50% and hopefully up to 80%. That would really help things immensely, without even having to increase the peak charging rate. They are keeping things tight lipped, so I’m not betting this will happen… just dreaming it will ;)

·
Registered
533 Posts
I would dispute that, "pretty good", based on my own experience with the i3. On Kyle Connor's graph, the charging rate begins dropping in a more or less straight line at less than 20% SOC, falling to just 50 kW at 50%. My (2019) i3 maxes out at just 50 kW, but it holds that rate all the way up to about 85-90% SOC (depending on weather, etc.). The shape of the curve really incentivizes driving well into the bottom 20%, and even starting a long trip with less than 100% to minimize time spent at charging stops.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I suspect it’s something far more boring. I suspect it’s got mired in an internal argument about why they did the lug bolt thing in the first place.
Even if it’s boring, if there are x-thousands of people lined up to buy the car, give them some information.
If I had a bz4x in hand, had to stop driving
It and continue to make loan/lease/insurance payments, I’d be really pissed off. So in the grand scheme of things, the situation is still good, but I’m certainly not inclined to give Toyota or Subaru any additional business. In the end, money talks and if there are tons of cancelations, and no one will want to buy the Toyobaru due to its complicated situation, that’s tough luck for Toyota. Toyota probably doesn’t care since they are pushing the crown hybrid with the optional e-axle, but their BEV is essentially vapor ware. I fell bad die Subaru if they are getting sucked into this mess by relying on Toyota’s “electrification expertise”. Think about the fact that Subaru decided to develop their own EVs based on the “success” of the Solterra.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Even if it’s boring, if there are x-thousands of people lined up to buy the car, give them some information.
If I had a bz4x in hand, had to stop driving
It and continue to make loan/lease/insurance payments, I’d be really pissed off. So in the grand scheme of things, the situation is still good, but I’m certainly not inclined to give Toyota or Subaru any additional business. In the end, money talks and if there are tons of cancelations, and no one will want to buy the Toyobaru due to its complicated situation, that’s tough luck for Toyota. Toyota probably doesn’t care since they are pushing the crown hybrid with the optional e-axle, but their BEV is essentially vapor ware. I fell bad die Subaru if they are getting sucked into this mess by relying on Toyota’s “electrification expertise”. Think about the fact that Subaru decided to develop their own EVs based on the “success” of the Solterra.
I love Subaru, and admire Toyota greatly. Issues will be resolved. I'm buying the Solterra.⚡

·
Registered
113 Posts
I love Subaru, and admire Toyota greatly. Issues will be resolved. I'm buying the Solterra.⚡
No issues with that. We own a Subaru and my mom still drives and loves my 2005 Prius.
Just saying that this is an embarrassment for both companies. You can be a loved and admired company and still screw up
I have a car that runs and the Solterra was going to be my new car as a replacement for my Mini, which my daughter will get when she gets her license. I have the luxury of time. Whenever the Solterra issues have been fixed and the car comes - fine. If not - also fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just want people to think about how difficult it is to operate in the world at the moment. COVID lockdowns are still on and off in China. That will hamper any responses. Also Toyota is a publicly traded company. This means they’re limited what they’re allowed to say.

I am also annoyed - I am waiting for a car. But I’m not convinced that Toyota/Subaru’s behaviour here is different to normal for a recall.

121 - 140 of 171 Posts