Subaru Solterra Forum banner
241 - 254 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
If no vehicles deliver before end of the year, it’s really going to have a negative impact on Subaru/Toyota attempts to enter the EV market. In fact, I’m starting to believe there’s more going on here than a simple wheel attachment issue that hasn’t yet been resolved.

Personally, I’ve been a loyal “wait and see” observer, but if there aren’t any vehicles by year end, Subaru can color me “gone” on the Solterra.

This problem isn’t like fine wine... it’s not getting any better with age.

·
Registered
670 Posts
For me the question isn't so much "is December 30 too late?" as "if they're now saying December 30, what will they be saying in December?".

I don't mind waiting until a date certain, as I haven't minded waiting until now (my original projected delivery date was "August" which was just 2 weeks ago), but I'm averse to waiting 3 more months only to find out then that it'll be another 3 months. I've already passed up 2 opportunities to buy a competing vehicle, I have one more on the table (commit soon, take delivery in November - a demo car that actually exists, not some vaporware).

My own SA is on vacation this week, so I won't have any news until next Monday at the earliest. I'm hoping that news won't be the same as @md.'s.

·
Super Moderator
164 Posts
For me the question isn't so much "is December 30 too late?" as "if they're now saying December 30, what will they be saying in December?".

I don't mind waiting until a date certain, as I haven't minded waiting until now (my original projected delivery date was "August" which was just 2 weeks ago), but I'm averse to waiting 3 more months only to find out then that it'll be another 3 months. I've already passed up 2 opportunities to buy a competing vehicle, I have one more on the table (commit soon, take delivery in November - a demo car that actually exists, not some vaporware).

My own SA is on vacation this week, so I won't have any news until next Monday at the earliest. I'm hoping that news won't be the same as @md.'s.
I am waiting as long as need be for this vehicle. So I don't mind dragging this out but I definitely hope its before December 30th that we start to see deliveries. But I hear ya, the waiting game gets a little old especially if you are passing up other opportunities.
For me:
  • I don't like the ID.4 all that much. The interior controls and infotainment are pretty crappy (however it looks like the software updates might help some of this out and the US built version of the ID4 will bring a couple changes inside the vehicle). But I have never been a big fan of german cars to be honest, mainly Japanese for me.
  • Not a big fan of how low the EV6 or the interior on the lower spec models
  • I like the Ioniq 5, however, the same as the EV6, I believe the interior on anything but the absolute top model in Canada is absolutely terrible. The top model also gets pretty pricey
  • I obviously like the BZ4X but I am a Subaru fan and I believe the Solterra looks nicer regardless of the brand loyalty. Plus I could get the Solterra easier and hopefully at a better rate due to being a Subaru owner.
  • Chevy Bolt just sucks along with every other GM product :ROFLMAO:
  • Mach-E is nice. But when comparing a similar spec AWD version of that car in Canada, the Solterra sounds and looks more appealing to me.
  • Love the Tesla Model Y but its too expensive for me in Canada (over $85,000 Canadian now)

Subaru traits that win me over and make me keep waiting:
  • its a Subaru (love)
  • looks
  • the ground clearance of the Solterra for the Canadian winters and some light off roading and back roads
  • interior design and infotainment system (I think this system is 100x better than the ID4's offering). Also the combinations of physical buttons and touch controls seems to be excellent
  • connected services seem to be well done and features like the smart digital mirror are stand out for me

I know all these other cars bring potentially better range and charging speeds, but honestly, these don't matter to me at all. My commute for work is 20 km round trip. I road trip occasionally (Especially from Southern Ontario where I live to Montreal). But if I feel that's an issue with this car than that's what the wife's Forester is for or I would rent one for the road trips. Otherwise it has more than enough range to get me to my regular longer distance locations to visit family, friends, entertainment events like a concert in Toronto or something.

I'll abandon ship if Subaru Canada announces pricing and they say its over $65k Canadian though. I just wouldn't be able to justify the cost over something like a new Outback Onyx or Wilderness. Or even the revamped Ascent Onyx has caught my eye.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am waiting as long as need be for this vehicle. So I don't mind dragging this out but I definitely hope its before December 30th that we start to see deliveries. But I hear ya, the waiting game gets a little old especially if you are passing up other opportunities.
For me:
  • I don't like the ID.4 all that much. The interior controls and infotainment are pretty crappy (however it looks like the software updates might help some of this out and the US built version of the ID4 will bring a couple changes inside the vehicle). But I have never been a big fan of german cars to be honest, mainly Japanese for me.
  • Not a big fan of how low the EV6 or the interior on the lower spec models
  • I like the Ioniq 5, however, the same as the EV6, I believe the interior on anything but the absolute top model in Canada is absolutely terrible. The top model also gets pretty pricey
  • I obviously like the BZ4X but I am a Subaru fan and I believe the Solterra looks nicer regardless of the brand loyalty. Plus I could get the Solterra easier and hopefully at a better rate due to being a Subaru owner.
  • Chevy Bolt just sucks along with every other GM product :ROFLMAO:
  • Mach-E is nice. But when comparing a similar spec AWD version of that car in Canada, the Solterra sounds and looks more appealing to me.
  • Love the Tesla Model Y but its too expensive for me in Canada (over $85,000 Canadian now)

Subaru traits that win me over and make me keep waiting:
  • its a Subaru (love)
  • looks
  • the ground clearance of the Solterra for the Canadian winters and some light off roading and back roads
  • interior design and infotainment system (I think this system is 100x better than the ID4's offering). Also the combinations of physical buttons and touch controls seems to be excellent
  • connected services seem to be well done and features like the smart digital mirror are stand out for me

I know all these other cars bring potentially better range and charging speeds, but honestly, these don't matter to me at all. My commute for work is 20 km round trip. I road trip occasionally (Especially from Southern Ontario where I live to Montreal). But if I feel that's an issue with this car than that's what the wife's Forester is for or I would rent one for the road trips. Otherwise it has more than enough range to get me to my regular longer distance locations to visit family, friends, entertainment events like a concert in Toronto or something.

I'll abandon ship if Subaru Canada announces pricing and they say its over $65k Canadian though. I just wouldn't be able to justify the cost over something like a new Outback Onyx or Wilderness. Or even the revamped Ascent Onyx has caught my eye.
yeah, 65k takes me out for sure.

62 is my make or break for the top trim.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Nissan Ariya will be fantastic (minus the haptic center console controls). Was super impressed by the test drive. It will be $58K fully loaded - ventilated seats, digital rear view mirror, Pro Pilot 2.0, AWD, 360 camera, premium audio. I think without the tax credit it might still be worth that price tag because it is a better Model Y.

I don't think the Solterra Limited is worth $51K (without tax credit) so I'm siding towards test driving it and declining it. There are simply too many sub-par features for it to command a $15K-$20K premium over an ICE car... Heck at $51K I'd rather have a fully loaded Telluride.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is that something you have heard before?

"However, just recently, Norway's Toyota issued a note, telling car owners that the problem can be ruled out as soon as the end of October!"

Toyota bZ4X即將重返街頭? 挪威下月推解方但新一波召回也來了! | 地球黃金線
“However, the rim defect problem has not been resolved, and the original Toyota factory has issued a new recall notice, because the LTA lane keeping assist system may be abnormal”

Maybe bad translation but it says no solution yet.

·
Registered
254 Posts
When the Ascent was first introduced, there was a small number of vehicles with improper welds that were replaced by Subaru. If memory serves me correctly, it was less than 200 vehicles.

I also know of instances when BMW replaced small numbers of vehicles deemed uneconomical to repair.

So, it’s not all that common, but not unheard of, either.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Not information about the recall but probably as a result of recalls. Safety Connect and Service Connect trials extended to 10 years (bZ4X, Tundra, Crown, etc - 2023 models) Not sure if Subaru will follow.

This is some nice news!! And guess what made the list!! Yup the bZ4X is at the top of it…

·
Registered
355 Posts
Not information about the recall but probably as a result of recalls. Safety Connect and Service Connect trials extended to 10 years (bZ4X, Tundra, Crown, etc - 2023 models) Not sure if Subaru will follow.
That's pretty interesting, since just those services being provided by Toyota is a huge negative in my mind (and because they hopped on the nickel and diming so much they started charging their own customers for the ability to unlock the doors with the key fob remotely).

I just cancelled my 2018 Outback Starlink services because it basically provides nothing worth $150 per year and I wasn't looking forward to paying Toyota/Google for anything related to operating a vehicle that's already paid for.

I doubt Toyota would foot the bill for Subaru vehicles and I doubt Subaru will follow suit.

241 - 254 of 254 Posts