Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked A Better Route Planner's vehicle list today, and the bZ4X is there as an (alpha). Their reference efficiency for the AWD version is an abysmal 2.83 mi/kWh. It takes about 18 hours longer going coast to coast than a Model Y. I still want to hear some real world charging and range info about the Solterra.

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
258 Posts
I checked A Better Route Planner's vehicle list today, and the bZ4X is there as an (alpha). Their reference efficiency for the AWD version is an abysmal 2.83 mi/kWh. It takes about 18 hours longer going coast to coast than a Model Y. I still want to hear some real world charging and range info about the Solterra.
That should not be a surprise. The Solterra is not a good trip car. If that is what you want, look elsewhere.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That should not be a surprise. The Solterra is not a good trip car. If that is what you want, look elsewhere.
That efficiency number, if accurate, is a complete surprise. I'm planning to judge for myself about how acceptable it is as a trip car based on real-world range testing and resulting efficiency, and my intention to use the charger-hopping strategy.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That efficiency number, if accurate, is a complete surprise. I'm planning to judge for myself about how acceptable it is as a trip car based on real-world range testing and resulting efficiency, and charger-hopping.
True, we don't have independent real world range testing yet. Am waiting for the Edmunds numbers. But given what we know so far about the car, still say it is not a good trip car, and there are far better other choices if that is what you want.

·
Registered
144 Posts
True, we don't have independent real world range testing yet. Am waiting for the Edmunds numbers. But given what we know so far about the car, still say it is not a good trip car, and there are far better other choices if that is what you want.
My friend who owns the Tesla Model 3 is very surprised by the Solterra range numbers considering his Model 3 has a significantly smaller battery, yet he’s averaging about 238 miles on a charge. It’s got to be large buffers at the top and/or bottom end.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My friend who owns the Tesla Model 3 is very surprised by the Solterra range numbers considering his Model 3 has a significantly smaller battery, yet he’s averaging about 238 miles on a charge. It’s got to be large buffers at the top and/or bottom end.
The M3 is much more aerodynamic car, and lower to the ground.

·
Registered
77 Posts
that is strange as I thought range over 200 miles didn’t matter with charger hopping.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that is strange as I thought range over 200 miles didn’t matter with charger hopping.
This has nothing to do with overall range, which mostly matters for the first leg of a trip. An abysmal efficiency requires a deeper charge into the taper to get those 105-140 miles to the next charger stop.

·
Registered
77 Posts
This has nothing to do with overall range, which mostly matters for the first leg of a trip. An abysmal efficiency requires a deeper charge into the taper to get those 105-140 miles to the next charger stop.
then why does the Tesla get you to your destination 18 hours faster? My trip to Chicago in a Model y is 6:50 minutes and two stops. Same trip in bz4x is 8:15 minutes and 4 stops.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nobody should compare an SUV EV to a Model 3. The 3 has insane efficiency… I recall getting 4.2 mi/kWh driving 80+ mph back from Daytona. It’s the aerodynamics and a hyper efficient drivetrain.

My ID.4 RWD and Mach-E RWD would be lucky to get 3.0 mi/kWh at those speeds. Even with 70F temps.

2.8 mi/kWh sounds conservative but probably safe. 3.0 mi/kWh might be normal for driving 70-75mph.

·
Registered
92 Posts
ABRP's consumption numbers are at 65 mph. I'm sure it's calculated, not observed for the bZ4X at this point.
I checked the Model 3, Y, ID.4, and Mach-E Wh/mile numbers and they all seem 20-30 Wh/mile higher than my personal experience in Florida but it could be the numbers are meant for colder/lower temps and/or all wind and rain conditions. ABRP is very conservative and want to avoid stranding you.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I checked the Model 3, Y, ID.4, and Mach-E Wh/mile numbers and they all seem 20-30 Wh/mile higher than my personal experience in Florida but it could be the numbers are meant for colder/lower temps and/or all wind and rain conditions. ABRP is very conservative and want to avoid stranding you.
I plan on using an OBD dongle to provide real-time data to ABRP, unless the Solterra can send the data to it without the OBD dongle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts