Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are owners doing about battery pre-conditioning before charging in cold weather or before driving in cold weather? Has anyone determined at what temperature the battery heater will turn on if EVSE is connected (Owner's Manual p. 97)?

· Registered
68 Posts
Just got the Veepeak yesterday, and trying to filling in different pieces. I will update when I find out more.

Outside -15-20C yesterday.
Level 1 charging - will heat up the battery consistently to the 0-8C (32-40F).
Level 3 charging (free Chargepoint 25kW) - With room mode activate, battery heater is turned off. With car shut off, battery heater will try. However, it works quite slow. After 30 min of DCFC, the battery heater is 55+C, but the battery cells are at 7-17C, which is still not optimal charging.

I left the car unplugged overnight.
-18C this morning
Battery heater is not active at the time, but I'm sure it was working some of the time because the battery temp is still above 0.
However, during the 20min drive to work in mostly slow traffic, the battery heater was not on (same as ambient temp)

Would love to find out anyone else's experience, as there is no manual switch for battery heater.

· Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read somewhere? a Solterra owner in Iceland say they follow the ABC rule = Always Be Connected. I am wondering if the Level 1 EVSE might be a good idea on cold nights. Car is in unheated bur insulated garage. Not sure if cold = 20ºF or 10ºF or ???

· Registered
68 Posts
Is there any confirmation that blasting the heater actually turns on the battery heater? I have been driving the last 2 days with -20C ambient temp, and the battery temp ranges from -6 to low single digits C. The battery heater is not on for me.

· Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
Is there any confirmation that blasting the heater actually turns on the battery heater? I have been driving the last 2 days with -20C ambient temp, and the battery temp ranges from -6 to low single digits C. The battery heater is not on for me.
Or maybe it is on, but just not powerful enough to get the pack any warmer than that.

How long is your typical trip, in minutes?

· Registered
Vancouver, BC 2023 Solterra Tech Pkg
592 Posts
Not sure if you guys have seen this vid, but it is about charging a bZ4X AWD with a CATL battery. The guy uses the OBD port and app to show various charges and temps of the battery. And how to get the best kW charge rates. This incl showing the battery being heated up during the charge.

· Registered
68 Posts
My commute is about 20-30min. I can confirm that the heater is not on. From unplugging the car, the battery heater temp actually drops close to the ambient temp.
What I found so far is that level 1 will turn on the battery heater to just below 10C, and level 2 will turn on the heater to just below 30C. And DC charger can turn on the heater to 50C plus.

trouble is that even with 50C battery heater, it still takes 30-60 min for the battery to be close to 20C.

· Registered
62 Posts
The blasting the heater PRE HEATS the battery due to the Solterra doesn't have battery conditioning like the Rivian or the Tesla, by blasting the heater gets the cooling loop hotter to preconditioning the battery, this is what I've done on every EV I've owned that didn't have battery conditioning...Bolt, Transit connect, COMMS...you don't have to believe or trust me...I'm just some dude on here, but if you want to get your battery to accept a higher charge, the battery has to be warm as possible.. if you're doing a 30 min commute turn it on, don't cycle the heater off and on in less than 15 min intervals or you're going to wreck it.

· Registered
68 Posts
Grandizer. I appreciate your input and your experience with previous ev ownership. These experience can be helpful as owning ev and learning how the battery behaves is not always easy. As a community, I’m sure many of us would like to know various ways to make our car go further and charge faster.
I’m sharing my experience with data n=1. Which can be different from others. But collectively, the hope is that as more people contribute to the data set, we can collectively find patterns and learn from each other.
On my commute, the cabin heater is set to 21 full auto not eco and with 30min at ambient -15C it’s not long enough to turn on the battery heater. The battery does warm up a bit but only a couple degrees, likely due to accelerating and decelerating. But no where enough to heat it up close to 20C for optimal dcfc.
I tried yo-yo driving as well. It did not improve the battery temp much (at least not when the ambient temp is very low)
That being said, I agree with you that battery temp is the single most important factor for charging speed. If battery is close to 0C my car barely charged above 10kw on a 24kW charger, and at 20C it happily accepts 22Kw from the same charger at -19C with 40 SOC

· Registered
62 Posts
Grandizer. I appreciate your input and your experience with previous ev ownership. These experience can be helpful as owning ev and learning how the battery behaves is not always easy. As a community, I’m sure many of us would like to know various ways to make our car go further and charge faster.
I’m sharing my experience with data n=1. Which can be different from others. But collectively, the hope is that as more people contribute to the data set, we can collectively find patterns and learn from each other.
On my commute, the cabin heater is set to 21 full auto not eco and with 30min at ambient -15C it’s not long enough to turn on the battery heater. The battery does warm up a bit but only a couple degrees, likely due to accelerating and decelerating. But no where enough to heat it up close to 20C for optimal dcfc.
I tried yo-yo driving as well. It did not improve the battery temp much (at least not when the ambient temp is very low)
That being said, I agree with you that battery temp is the single most important factor for charging speed. If battery is close to 0C my car barely charged above 10kw on a 24kW charger, and at 20C it happily accepts 22Kw from the same charger at -19C with 40 SOC
it's definitely a learning curve, there's a lot of first time owners on here, I'm glad to help, some of the other forums have devolved into mudslinging of 'DO YOU WATCH FOX/CNN, READ THE MANUAL"...YOU VOTED FOR SO SO DIDN'T YOU!!!!....
there's a lot of serious inquisitiveness, I've got 2 cross country trips with EV's when there were charger deserts, we are getting leaps better.

· Registered
9 Posts
Netherlands, Panasonic battery, 6C outside temperature. Just had a 150km drive, rolled up to fastned charger with 2km on the GOM (SoC reported 3% btw, so I did not expect to get 40km after reaching 0km on the GOM). I was driving last 40km with A/C etc off.

FastNed charger was 300kWh charger. Only had it plugged in for 23 minutes. 66.9KW average speed. 34.40kWh charged. SoC now reporting 58%

· Registered
68 Posts
Envious of the 150kW Panasonic pack. There is a person on the BZ forum is able to achieve 115kW at the beginning of the charge.
23min for 34kwh (over 50 percent usable) is not bad but certainly should be better.
I wonder what the starting temp of the battery is. Unfortunately it takes a long time for the battery heater to heat up the whole pack to 20 plus degree.

· Registered
62 Posts
Envious of the 150kW Panasonic pack. There is a person on the BZ forum is able to achieve 115kW at the beginning of the charge.
23min for 34kwh (over 50 percent usable) is not bad but certainly should be better.
I wonder what the starting temp of the battery is. Unfortunately it takes a long time for the battery heater to heat up the whole pack to 20 plus degree.
That's why I recommend blasting the heater, the battery heater is the same one in my Nissan van, it'll force the batter temp up...
That is a sweet charging rate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts