Subaru Solterra Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
So, what does everyone think that this compensation means? $5,000 seems like a lot of money to me for 2-3 months without your vehicle. I mean, they're already covering a loaner and all gas, so while you don't have the vehicle that you thought you'd be driving, you're at least fully functional and likely saving some money. If I have a bZ4X in storage right now, my first question I would ask when the Toyota rep calls me is what happens if this goes beyond 6 months or if they don't come up with a reasonable fix. I'm assuming that accepting this deal requires you to sign an agreement that it covers Toyota for as long as this takes and that you can't come back for more later.

On the other hand, if you're Toyota, would you make this offer now if you had no idea what the fix is and how long it will take to implement?

·
Registered
117 Posts
At some point in the near future, if not already here, every delivered vehicle will begin to fall under state lemon laws. When that happens, Toyota is no longer in control of the buy-back/compensation offering. An already bad situation immediately gets worse for Toyota at that time.

So, if an owner agrees to the compensation offer, and keeps the vehicle, you can bet there’s a clause in the contract that removes a buy-back as an option…or at a minimum, makes getting a buy-back much more difficult. So, it buys the manufacturer extra time at a relative small price.

Frankly, Toyota/Subaru may be waiting to deliver any more vehicles (other than those already in transit) to the US in order to see if the new EV tax credit changes pass. I suspect that may indeed be the case, as Toyota/Panasonic announced this weekend a deal to start buying battery components and manufacturing in the US. So, for the US, we may be seeing Panasonic batteries going forward…again, if the law passes. It would be the perfect time for Toyota to make that change.

With/if the tax credits change, using CATL supplies, Toyota starts out immediately with a pricing disadvantage in the market segment the bZ4x/Solterra is aimed at. Of course, this is pure speculation at this point…

We shall see…

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree that this is likely all just about controlling the lemon situation. $5000 doesn’t pay for much lawyer time, but is worth a lot to an individual. If there’s only 300 or so of these delivered, $1.5m is a good bargain for silence.

·
Registered
202 Posts
In addition to public relations and customer satisfaction, buyback is a way for Toyota to control the circulation and location of the non-functional vehicle inventory. It's the same way GM controlled the location of all their EV1's with no-purchase leases, something other manufacturers are also exploring (also Toyota and the first RAV4 EV). Essentially, they know the technology is adequate for a point in time, but will quickly be overshadowed and loose it's relevance. So to ensure the least amount of future bad press, they make sure the vehicles are returned and, likely, destroyed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Edit: Sorry for posting this on the Solterra forum...didn't realize I wasn't on the BZ forum, lol. So many of the same people post on both.

If this situation isn't solved by September, I'm going to call the Toyota center and see if they are going to do anything for US folks that have paid a deposit on one, have it sitting in port and are going to lose $3,750 (at least) of the tax credit. Probably fall on deaf ears as they know it will sell as soon as they turn it loose, but I'll try anyway.

It's about 2.5 months since Toyota became aware of this. It's a crazy situation that it's been that long with nothing more than Toyota offering compensation for those that already have them in hand. No remedy in sight....

·
Registered
533 Posts
My dealer told me today (8/1/22) that my estimated delivery date is still September. I get weekly updates on Mondays.
I'm betting they just don't know what to change the estimated delivery date to. I guess there's a remote chance it could be built on/after September 1 and delivered on/before September 30, but seeming increasingly unlikely.
My own EDD is also still "September 2022" but I doubt it will arrive before November or December. At this point, I'm just hoping it's not January.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It’s probably a safe bet the line shutdown will be extended into September, if not longer…

Once a “fix” has been determined, it’s going to take a while to manufacture the replacement items needed, and in today‘s supply-chain-problem world, that’s just going to add more delay.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My dealer told me today (8/1/22) that my estimated delivery date is still September. I get weekly updates on Mondays.
My dealer told me that I'm still scheduled for September. They have 3 more orders scheduled for September, a couple for October, and a couple for November. I think those had all been pushed back a few weeks ago and haven't changed since. I really don't think the dealers know any more than we do. I assume Subaru updates the data that they're seeing in the system. My salesperson didn't know anything about the recall.

Their demo car has a date of 9/30 and they have a VIN for that, but not the others.

I don't think any of the dates mean a thing at this point. I don't think Subaru knows what to change them to.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It’s probably a safe bet the line shutdown will be extended into September, if not longer…

Once a “fix” has been determined, it’s going to take a while to manufacture the replacement items needed, and in today‘s supply-chain-problem world, that’s just going to add more delay.
Interns probably need to keep driving the fixed cars around in circles for another few weeks.:p

·
Registered
469 Posts
My dealer told me that I'm still scheduled for September. They have 3 more orders scheduled for September, a couple for October, and a couple for November.
Early on, my dealer told me I was the first one to order a Solterra at their dealership. And he said I'd probably have mine delivered before the dealership gets one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My dealer told me that I'm still scheduled for September. They have 3 more orders scheduled for September, a couple for October, and a couple for November. I think those had all been pushed back a few weeks ago and haven't changed since. I really don't think the dealers know any more than we do. I assume Subaru updates the data that they're seeing in the system. My salesperson didn't know anything about the recall.

Their demo car has a date of 9/30 and they have a VIN for that, but not the others.

I don't think any of the dates mean a thing at this point. I don't think Subaru knows what to change them to.
I totally agree.

Toyota is definitely the captain/cruise director of this boat ride for now, and it might not be too far-fetched to think Subaru isn’t fully informed on 100% of the current details of the recall timing and status. I certainly hope that isn’t the case, but it seems pretty clear the dealerships aren’t getting a lot of info from Subaru, at least for the time being.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
215 Posts
Edit: Sorry for posting this on the Solterra forum...didn't realize I wasn't on the BZ forum, lol. So many of the same people post on both.
I don't think it's an issue since the two vehicles are "joined at the hip" and seeing how Toyota is handling things with the BZ4x that was already "released in the wild" helps to understand the seriousness of the issue and further explain the delay for Solterra coming to market.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Per KBB:

Electric Vehicle

Toyota Offers to Buy Back Recalled EVs

Sean TuckerBySean Tucker 08/04/2022 6:34am

Some readers will no doubt recall that Subaru plans its own version of the car. The two companies developed their first mainstream EVs together. The bZ4X shares almost all of its parts with the 2023 Subaru Solterra. Subaru, however, hasn’t yet delivered a Solterra to a customer in the U.S. Subaru dealers were instructed not to sell the first few Solterras in their inventory while the company works on a fix to the wheel problem. A Subaru spokesperson confirmed to KBB this morning that all Solterras “have been contained by Subaru and our retailers.”

·
Registered
117 Posts
“A Subaru spokesperson confirmed to KBB this morning that all Solterras “have been contained by Subaru and our retailers.”

That wording kind of makes it sound like there’s a virus or some other pathogens involved…. Maybe the vehicles are all corralled up on some farm in the “upstate” at some hidden location…

·
Registered
157 Posts
Per KBB:
Electric Vehicle
Toyota Offers to Buy Back Recalled EVs

Sean TuckerBySean Tucker 08/04/2022 6:34am

Some readers will no doubt recall that Subaru plans its own version of the car. The two companies developed their first mainstream EVs together. The bZ4X shares almost all of its parts with the 2023 Subaru Solterra. Subaru, however, hasn’t yet delivered a Solterra to a customer in the U.S. Subaru dealers were instructed not to sell the first few Solterras in their inventory while the company works on a fix to the wheel problem. A Subaru spokesperson confirmed to KBB this morning that all Solterras “have been contained by Subaru and our retailers.”

Glad to see that Subaru has caught this before any of the affected Solterras reached customers. But I fell bad for anyone with a bZ4X that has to deal with this nonsense right now.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts