Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I strongly advise you to contact the corporate HQ and notify of that. Their CEO sent a message specifically warning retailer of doing grossly exaggerated markups.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
240 Posts
I strongly advise you to contact the corporate HQ and notify of that. Their CEO sent a message specifically warning retailer of doing grossly exaggerated markups.
The communication was basically that these markups were not in line with the Subaru culture and "love promise". Unfortunately, that's not enforceable on dealers who are independent businesses and AFAIK, their contracts give them a lot of leeway with regard to what they can and cannot do. Fortunately, there are dealers who have chosen not to gouge in many areas so my suggestion (beyond the difficulty in the idea relative to the Solterra at present) is to not restrict vehicle shopping to the local dealer(s). Buy where the deal is best for you. No dealer is going to refuse to service something bought elsewhere as that's a completely different profit center.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The communication was basically that these markups were not in line with the Subaru culture and "love promise". Unfortunately, that's not enforceable on dealers who are independent businesses and AFAIK, their contracts give them a lot of leeway with regard to what they can and cannot do. Fortunately, there are dealers who have chosen not to gouge in many areas so my suggestion (beyond the difficulty in the idea relative to the Solterra at present) is to not restrict vehicle shopping to the local dealer(s). Buy where the deal is best for you. No dealer is going to refuse to service something bought elsewhere as that's a completely different profit center.
I agree there are more dealers take the love value. However my reservation is not transferable and the markup is notified up-front. Such a reservation system actually encourage dealer to price discriminate loyal and enthusiastic customers.
Now my love is now over, switched to Hyundai with a no markup dealer. They lose customers now, they lose forever.

·
Registered
120 Posts
What SOA could do, potentially, is limit the amount of vehicles disbursed to that specific franchise. I believe that is what Ford is doing.

The reasoning is that in a lemon law case, SOA would have to buy it back at the sale price. So if it is over MSRP, they still have to fork over that money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What SOA could do, potentially, is limit the amount of vehicles disbursed to that specific franchise. I believe that is what Ford is doing.

The reasoning is that in a lemon law case, SOA would have to buy it back at the sale price. So if it is over MSRP, they still have to fork over that money.
I do called SOA my retailer, they will document it, but they cannot help me anything. I also mentioned if the retailer sell my reservation to another waiting list person but with less ADM, it is price discriminate against me. That's all I can do to help Subaru at least.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts