Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Subaru Solterra and the Nissan Ariya have been the two main EVs on my radar for the last year or so. I reserved a Solterra Touring as soon as reservations opened, but then also reserved an Ariya the same day.

What gives me pause on the Solterra? The angular lines and black cladding on the exterior, and the cloth dashboard on the interior. The range of ~ 220 is a problem for me too, as I make a semi-regular weekend trip that needs about 10% more than that, and there are currently no convenient charging stations between here and there.

On the plus side, my last two cars have been Subarus, and I’m obviously a fan. I like and trust my local dealership. I believe the Touring will come in under the price of the Ariya Platinum+ that I would want, and the $7500 federal tax credit is pretty much a certainty on a Solterra (but might not be available for Ariya delivered in late fall of 2022, since Nissan may be getting close to their limit if I understand correctly).

The Ariya has much more stylish interior and exterior, IMO. The ProPilot 2.0 software and the heads up display sound useful, and I’d be much more comfortable with the ~ 265 range. But this would all come at a higher price and then there is possible unknown ADM (which I don‘t think my Subaru dealership will charge.)

Anyone else thinking about these two vehicles, or are they just aimed at different markets?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Subaru Solterra and the Nissan Ariya have been the two main EVs on my radar for the last year or so. I reserved a Solterra Touring as soon as reservations opened, but then also reserved an Ariya the same day.

What gives me pause on the Solterra? The angular lines and black cladding on the exterior, and the cloth dashboard on the interior. The range of ~ 220 is a problem for me too, as I make a semi-regular weekend trip that needs about 10% more than that, and there are currently no convenient charging stations between here and there.

On the plus side, my last two cars have been Subarus, and I’m obviously a fan. I like and trust my local dealership. I believe the Touring will come in under the price of the Ariya Platinum+ that I would want, and the $7500 federal tax credit is pretty much a certainty on a Solterra (but might not be available for Ariya delivered in late fall of 2022, since Nissan may be getting close to their limit if I understand correctly).

The Ariya has much more stylish interior and exterior, IMO. The ProPilot 2.0 software and the heads up display sound useful, and I’d be much more comfortable with the ~ 265 range. But this would all come at a higher price and then there is possible unknown ADM (which I don‘t think my Subaru dealership will charge.)

Anyone else thinking about these two vehicles, or are they just aimed at different markets?
If you do a regular weekend trip that requires more than 220 miles I would recommend the Ariya. At highway speeds you will get less than 220 miles and it's not recommend to charge EV batteries over 80% or drain then under 10% on a regular basis, so you are really working with 70% of the 220 (154 miles). With highway speeds (70 MPH) expect that 154 miles range to be even less.
Range anxiety and showing up at charging stations that don't work is another issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have heard of the Ariya, but hadnt considered it as i expected the MSRP to be much higher than i wanted to pay for a first BEV for us.
If the OP has a weekend trip that requires 225+10% = 235miles, i would think twice about any BEV that has a range less than 300miles as the range depends on temperature ALOT. Colder weather will impact that range and if there are no reliable charging stations on the way, do you really want to stretch that 235 mile trip into what is at best a 260 mile range and what could be 10-15% less at 230miles in the cold or worse?
Perhaps for now, consider PHEV instead?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
240 Posts
When the time comes to purchase an EV in a couple years, I'm not adverse to considering the Ariya, even though I'm not a "Nissan person". I do like the dash, etc. But there would have to be something compelling for me to seriously look at a non-Solterra/BZ4x. I'm not a fan of Kia/Hyundai...nothing bad; they just don't interest me a whole bunch, but that's not to say I wouldn't look at them. So that leaves Ariya as one reasonable alternative of several that might be considered in this space. I'm about two years out, so the whole landscape could change by then!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Range anxiety and showing up at charging stations that don't work is another issue.
Exactly my nightmare. Showing up at the single charger at the public library in a tiny town, and finding it out of order - I can’t let that happen.

On the other hand, my spouse and I currently have a 2018 Outback and a 2016 Forester, and will be trading in one and keeping the other. I could always take the ICE vehicle for the longer trips, and use the EV as my daily driver around the city.

Along those lines, do I really need AWD? I prefer one, for better handling and because I’m used to AWD, but I doubt I will do as much off-roading in the future as previously. Maybe I just need to give the FWD Ariya another look and save some $ that way.

I appreciate all the comments. Sorry to bring up FWD on this forum!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Exactly my nightmare. Showing up at the single charger at the public library in a tiny town, and finding it out of order - I can’t let that happen.
If you're contemplating taking long trips along routes that don't have fast chargers, then perhaps an EV isn't for you.

I'm not averse to stopping to fast charge, I've done it many times. I don't require the ability to take any long trip and not need to fast charge along the way. I'd just like to spend as little time as possible charging instead of driving, but I don't need to be able to make a 300 mile trip on a single charge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're contemplating taking long trips along routes that don't have fast chargers, then perhaps an EV isn't for you.
Thanks, Jay. I’m coming to the conclusion that instead of worrying about 220 vs. 265 vs. 285, I just need to plan to keep one of my gas-powered Subarus for trips outside the city, and get an EV that fits my needs for daily, in-city driving.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thanks, Jay. I’m coming to the conclusion that instead of worrying about 220 vs. 265 vs. 285, I just need to plan to keep one of my gas-powered Subarus for trips outside the city, and get an EV that fits my needs for daily, in-city driving.
We're planning to keep our 2021 Outback for taking longer trips to parts of the US and Canada where the charging infrastructure is still inadequate, but we fully intend to use our next EV for long trips where feasible.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
240 Posts
Along those lines, do I really need AWD? I prefer one, for better handling and because I’m used to AWD, but I doubt I will do as much off-roading in the future as previously. Maybe I just need to give the FWD Ariya another look and save some $ that way.
AWD provides superior performance in rain, etc., Personally, I'd be unlikely to buy any vehicle without it...in fact, we haven't had a two wheel drive vehicle since the last Prius more than 15 year ago or so.

·
Registered
672 Posts
AWD provides superior performance in rain, etc., Personally, I'd be unlikely to buy any vehicle without it...in fact, we haven't had a two wheel drive vehicle since the last Prius more than 15 year ago or so.
Plus, in an EV, AWD generally provides superior performance since it requires dual motors, one front one rear - although in the case of the Solterra/bZ4X the dual motors may have the same/similar total output because each dual motor is less powerful than the single FWD motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Plus, in an EV, AWD generally provides superior performance since it requires dual motors, one front one rear - although in the case of the Solterra/bZ4X the dual motors may have the same/similar total output because each dual motor is less powerful than the single FWD motor.
Any idea why Subaru and Toyota went with less powerful motors than the competition? I was talking to one of my automobile engineer friend and he said 80KW motor is more than enough for day to day use.

Ariya AWD has 290 KW, MACHE has 248KW, Ionic 5 has 350 KW etc..

·
Registered
672 Posts
Any idea why Subaru and Toyota went with less powerful motors than the competition? I was talking to one of my automobile engineer friend and he said 80KW motor is more than enough for day to day use.

Ariya AWD has 290 KW, MACHE has 248KW, Ionic 5 has 350 KW etc..
Solterra/bZ4X AWD has 2 x 80 kW, so 160 kW total (essentially, assuming identical gearing). But as you observe that is substantially less than most competing AWD models - though in line with some of those models' single motor (FWD or RWD) versions.

No clue why ToyoBaru went this route, it's quite the mystery.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just need to plan to keep one of my gas-powered Subarus for trips outside the city, and get an EV that fits my needs for daily, in-city driving.
That's what I'm planning on doing also...I'll use the Solterra for daily diving around the city and keep the gas powered SUV for road trips until ultra fast charging (10 min to 80%) solid state batteries hit the market 🤞 .

·
Registered
1984 MB 300TD Estate (S123)
11 Posts
Updates from Reuters:
"TOKYO, April 5 (Reuters) - Nissan Motor Co (7201.T) is pushing back the release date of the electric Ariya B6 SUV again due to a global shortage of semiconductors and other supply chain disruptions, the Japanese automaker said in a statement late on Monday.
The Ariya, Nissan's second EV-only model after the Leaf hatchback, will now go on sale on May 12 in Japan. The company had most recently flagged a late-March launch. ... Sales in Europe are due to start this summer and the United States in the autumn, Nissan has said. ..."

·
Registered
672 Posts
Updates from Reuters:
"TOKYO, April 5 (Reuters) - Nissan Motor Co (7201.T) is pushing back the release date of the electric Ariya B6 SUV again due to a global shortage of semiconductors and other supply chain disruptions, the Japanese automaker said in a statement late on Monday.
The Ariya, Nissan's second EV-only model after the Leaf hatchback, will now go on sale on May 12 in Japan. The company had most recently flagged a late-March launch. ... Sales in Europe are due to start this summer and the United States in the autumn, Nissan has said. ..."
I guess this means I'll cancel my Ariya "reservation" (I'm way down on the list - maybe 2023 or 2024 delivery at this point). It was just my fallback, but I think the EV6 now fits that bill - and it's available right now (if you don't mind paying ADM).

·
Registered
135 Posts
This times a hundred.

BEVs are a pain if your round trips is just at the edge of your range and you have to make a large detour to DC charge.

As for Ariya vs. Solterra... I have reservations on both but the more I hear the Ariya the less I like it. It doesn't have one pedal driving and reviewers complain about the suspension not being at the level of the Ioniq 5, EV6, ID.4... that is a dealbreaker for a supposedly SUV/crossover with not-great range and no unique selling points. Might as well buy an Ioniq 5 o EV6 for less.

The Solterra interest me because reviewers have compared it to a RAV4 Prime (loved mine) and the ground clearance. The poor range is giving me pause but I'd like to test drive it myself before deciding.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The Solterra interest me because reviewers have compared it to a RAV4 Prime (loved mine) and the ground clearance. The poor range is giving me pause but I'd like to test drive it myself before deciding.
Recent reports out of the UK suggest the official range of the bZ4X (both FWD and AWD versions) is quite a bit higher than Toyota's initial statements. Admittedly WLTP range, but the only data point we have right now. 321 miles for the FWD, 292 miles for the AWD. Even if the EPA numbers are (typically) 10-12% lower, that would be 257-263 miles for the AWD (assuming the Solterra matches the bZ4X's figures). That would be a definite deal-clincher for me vs. the competition.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts