Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
I have a set of winters 235/55 R20 that was consider selling with the car I am replacing the Solterra with, but will they fit on the Solterra Limited? (speced above as 235/50 R20, assuming that ends up being true).

The speedometer will be off by a bit, and possibly other safety systems will not be tuned for the tire size difference?

· Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
I have a set of winters 235/55 R20 that was consider selling with the car I am replacing the Solterra with, but will they fit on the Solterra Limited? (speced above as 235/50 R20, assuming that ends up being true).

The speedometer will be off by a bit, and possibly other safety systems will not be tuned for the tire size difference?
Your speedo will under-read by about 3%, 97 @ 100 km/h, but clearance shouldn't be an issue.

416 revolutions per km vs 429 for stock tires.

· Registered
80 Posts

I spoke with Kaltire about the different profile sizes and he looked it up in their tire for guide and said they are too different to fit.

· Super Moderator
2023 Subaru Solterra with Technology Package, Platinum White with Two-Tone Black Roof
422 Posts
Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Parallel
In terms of rims, is there a bolt pattern specs or type that I should be looking for when I'm shopping for wheels? It does not need to fancy - I just need to use it for winter tires.
The manual currently only gives sizes like diameter and width of the wheels. No offset or bolt pattern yet. What seems interesting is that this car uses lug bolts instead of lug nuts and studs. Thats more typical of European cars. I don’t think any other modern Subaru or toyota for that matter use wheel lug bolts.
Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Parallel

· Registered
88 Posts
SOLUTION TO 20" WHEEL ISSUE (i.e. for those that want more rubber and less rim):
I hope this is helpful for people. I'm not an expert on this at all, but have done a bunch of research and spoken to a few dealers and tire shops. I was given some specs and wheel/tire options by a Toyota dealer's parts/service department for 18" options that fit the BZ4X, which they thought would be identical to the Solterra (note I'm in Canada) He said all the info I need to find wheel is:
  • 18 x7.5J (up to 8" ok)
  • Bolt: 5 x 114.3
  • Offset 40 (35-45 ok)
  • Hub: 60.1mm

Some options for 18" wheels (don't think you can go any smaller than that):
  • OEM: They can get the stock 18" BZ4 wheels but they are expensive - $655 CAD/wheel (plus tires, mounting, install...). Note Subaru told me they can't even get 18" OEMs right now, and their system is showing $1200/wheel!!!
  • After market: they said they have no concerns at all about an aftermarket wheel as long as we use a "perfect fit" or "replica". He suggested:
  • R25918001 "Replica 259". MSRP $470CAD; $380 at dealer; $244 from local tire shop (Big O). 800kg weight capacity, which he said is way more than enough. This one also has OEM lug fit.
  • R2681801 "Replica 268". MRSRP $440 CAD; $360 at dealer; $228 at local tire shop (Big O). 725kw weight capacity, still way more than enough. Also OEM lug fit.
  • There were a few other options (I won't list all here), but they either didn't have OEM lugs available, were out of stock, lower weight, or had some other reason he didn't think they were as good an option.

Tire Options (I was asking for All Terrain).
  • BF Goodrich Trail Terrain TA. SKU 17722. ~$300CAD/tire. All weather. This was the one he thought was best. Quiet on road, low rolling resistance, good in snow, but not awesome on pavement.
  • Falcon Wild Peak AT Trail. SKU 28712816. $304 CAD/tire.

I am thinking of doing the Replica 259 with the BF Goodrich Trail Terrain TA. I wish Subaru just gave us an option to get the 18" wheels stocked on the higher trims, but for now this is the best I can do. Hopefully Subaru will make 18" standard next year on all trims, and make the 20" an upgrade for people that don't intend to use it offroad (though in my opinion if you don't care about offroad, there are better EV options out there).

The above is the best info I have been able to get my hands on. If anyone sees any flaws in this please let me know. I'm a bit nervous going to aftermarket wheels, but not sure what other options I have (other than just putting up with 20" offroad, which seems silly for an "adventure" car).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts