Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealer also said there are no Solterra's to test drive. After I actually place an order, does anyone know if, without penalty, I can cancel my vehicle after I get a chance to test drive it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would chat with your dealer as there seems to be some different approaches being shared here. I put in my order today, my dealer said there is no obligation. After the car arrives I can test drive and if I don't want it, I get my $250 back and they can sell the car to someone else. They indicated that if I wanted to cancel today they would want to try to still put in an order for the car as the dealer can't order them, one the folks who have reservations can.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would chat with your dealer as there seems to be some different approaches being shared here. I put in my order today, my dealer said there is no obligation. After the car arrives I can test drive and if I don't want it, I get my $250 back and they can sell the car to someone else. They indicated that if I wanted to cancel today they would want to try to still put in an order for the car as the dealer can't order them, one the folks who have reservations can.
Thank you very much. It is just not normal for the wife and I to plop down cash on something we have never seen nor driven. Oh well...I guess this is the new normal. I think we will go for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a long chat with my salesperson today, ultimately, they have no idea on too many factors for the dealers to hold us to our orders. No one knows interests rates and trade in values, let alone credit scores and financial positions in 3-5 months from now. Plus, as mentioned above, they will sell it to the next guy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I kind of feel stupid since I cannot seem to find the link that allows me to configure my Solterra order. I don't believe I can do it via subaru.com since the Solterra is not listed in their Build & Price tab. Can someone tell me where they were able to configure theirs? I recall that I once on the site since I looked at the various color and other options. For the life of me, I cannot find that link.

Oh, to answer a prior question, I did put down the $250 refundable deposit, but I have not yet gotten with the dealer to configure and place my order. Unfortunately, the only dude who can place my Solterra order took a vacation and is not back until May 5. Isn't that the way it always happens? The poor dude probably had his vacation planned for months and Subaru chose to open ordering the day before he left. The general manager will be calling me soon and maybe he can place my order.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone have a website link so I can at least see what each color looks like? I have seen online the Elemental Red Pearl and what I think might be Smoked Carbon. Who cares about black or white, since those are obvious.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone have a website link so I can at least see what each color looks like? I have seen online the Elemental Red Pearl and what I think might be Smoked Carbon. Who cares about black or white, since those are obvious.
Disregard, I found the colors on a separate thread.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My local dealer also said there are no Solterra's to test drive. After I actually place an order, does anyone know if, without penalty, I can cancel my vehicle after I get a chance to test drive it?
To answer the original question, this is a direct quote from the reservation confirmation:

Even after you have finalized your Subaru Solterra Retailer Reservation Opportunity and ordered your vehicle, you will still be able to cancel your order by contacting your retailer

I'm taking that to mean that I'll have a chance for a test drive before I have to fully commit. My dealer is expecting (hoping?) to have a Solterra by June or July for test drives. I would also say that there are still so many unknowns that there are definitely opportunities for a surprise that might be a dealer breaker. For example, we don't yet know what the warranty on the battery will be. And the only review I've seen on the charging (from Out of Spec Reviews) was over 5 hours for a full charge on DC fast charging! If that's legit and not a pre-production issue or software bug, I might be out.

I'm sure my dealer would love to have an unclaimed Solterra on their lot to sell to the next person who walks in. Hoping for the best, though!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here's a great video that shows a quick look at all the colors (not all the roof combinations), just ignore the dark blue one, it's not available in the US.

Introducing all SOLTERRA body colors! 4K

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am mostly a very positive and accepting person, yet I'm surprised Subaru's roll out of the Solterra for early adopters is so unorganized and nebulous -- requiring research of multiple online sources. For goodness sake, even something simple like a special website with exterior colors with interior colors available would go a looooooong way. I did appreciate the Subaru.com update that showed what the Premium, Limited, and Touring included along with its pricing. But then we had to look at multiple separate press releases for prices for different premium colors.

Maybe I'm just not of the early-adopter mentality?

Forum user 'md.' asked about charging times. During my many hours of research last night, see attached for a final specification that included charge times. Note the 9 hour charge time with 240V @ 32A. If you can only do 120V, then it'll take you 50 hours to reach full charge. OK for my wife and I, but likely a huge deal-breaker for many who drive a lot and cannot do 240V. I read somewhere that Subaru/Toyota did this to allow longer service life of the battery versus the convenience of faster charging for daily use. Again, this fits our lifestyle and desires because we keep cars for at least 7 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
.... Note the 9 hour charge time with 240V @ 32A. If you can only do 120V, then it'll take you 50 hours to reach full charge. OK for my wife and I, but likely a huge deal-breaker for many who drive a lot and cannot do 240V. I read somewhere that Subaru/Toyota did this to allow longer service life of the battery versus the convenience of faster charging for daily use. Again, this fits our lifestyle and desires because we keep cars for at least 7 years.
If you "cannot do 240V" (and ever need to add more than 20% overnight) then an EV with a battery pack much larger than say 20 kWh is not the car for you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I read somewhere that Subaru/Toyota did this to allow longer service life of the battery versus the convenience of faster charging for daily use. Again, this fits our lifestyle and desires because we keep cars for at least 7 years.
I read a review of a Tesla 3 recently. The owner had driven it 50,000 miles over the course of three years. The battery capacity dropped 7% in that time. So, it appears that if you take the DC fast charger routes, you are going to pay for it with batteries that have lower capacities.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I read a review of a Tesla 3 recently. The owner had driven it 50,000 miles over the course of three years. The battery capacity dropped 7% in that time. So, it appears that if you take the DC fast charger routes, you are going to pay for it with batteries that have lower capacities.
Did that T3 owner use DC fast charging much? What % of total charging was DC vs. AC/L2?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Forum user 'md.' asked about charging times. During my many hours of research last night, see attached for a final specification that included charge times. Note the 9 hour charge time with 240V @ 32A. If you can only do 120V, then it'll take you 50 hours to reach full charge. OK for my wife and I, but likely a huge deal-breaker for many who drive a lot and cannot do 240V. I read somewhere that Subaru/Toyota did this to allow longer service life of the battery versus the convenience of faster charging for daily use. Again, this fits our lifestyle and desires because we keep cars for at least 7 years.
50 hrs at 120V is a physical limitation, 72800Wh/120V/12amps = 50.6 hours. Any EV will have a similar charge time at 120V. The slow DC charging is unfortunate, but not a deal killer for me. I don't think EV's or the charging network are ready for long distance traveling for most of us.

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Unfortunately all your calculations are not correct
It has only 6.6 kWh charger
So max 240v x 27a ( that is 30a breaker ) is 6,5 kWh
So it would need almost 11 hours for full charge
Rivian and Tesla use 11 kwth chargers
Even Kia / Hyundai uses 7,2