Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I checked with the dealer with whom I reserved the vehicle in Southern California and they said that there will be additional markup. They said they will disclose the amount when the vehicle arrives. It is sad that we cannot change the dealership.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I checked with the dealer with whom I reserved the vehicle in Southern California and they said that there will be additional markup. They said they will disclose the amount when the vehicle arrives. It is sad that we cannot change the dealership.
That's just sad. What, they can't disclose the markup when the pricing is announced and you make the commitment to proceed with the order (rhetorical)? Not that that makes it any more acceptable, but waiting until the car hits the lot seems sleazy.

I'm considering several other EVs, although at the moment the Solterra is my first choice. Alas, one of my other choices is the EV6, and my preferred dealership for that has up-front said they're adding $3,000 to all cars arriving in the foreseeable future (the closest dealership is adding $4,000). My other two choices are notably more expensive (Q4 e-tron, iX) but if those don't get marked up, the price difference may be smaller than I was expecting.

It would really bum me out to have to walk away from a Solterra on account of ADM (especially since I have a 10-year history with my Subaru dealership, have bought 3 Subarus from them, and always serviced all 4 Subarus I've owned in their service department). That said, the issue of ADM has not come up (yet), so fingers crossed (but I will bring it up with my sales associate the next time I see him - in 10 days (service appointment)).

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We should get with Subaru ahead of time. Subaru needs this to be a success ...to remain a brand. (I'm Serious)

This Forum may have powers that we do not know, yet!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse)
240 Posts
ADM would be a show-stopper for me. Period. I hope this gets dealt with by the manufacturer in some way. (hard to do because dealers are independent businesses) Between ADM and the now popular "non-optional, high profit, near zero value" required add-ons, things are getting way out of line with dealers these days, regardless of the brand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I emailed the manager and she responded that the markup price would be announced as soon as the prices are announced by Subaru. However I will refuse to pay the ADM.

·
Registered
Vancouver, 2018 Crosstrek Limited
285 Posts
If everyone refused ADMs, problem would be solved, no more ADMs. So maybe, instead of just criticizing the dealers, you guys should be going after the people that pay the ADMs?

·
Registered
672 Posts
If everyone refused ADMs, problem would be solved, no more ADMs. So maybe, instead of just criticizing the dealers, you guys should be going after the people that pay the ADMs?
Interesting suggestion, but some people don't see it as a problem, just an opportunity to make sure they have the latest and greatest.

ADMs are always, technically, "negotiable". When we see postings of ADMs, it's almost always showing what a dealership is asking, not what someone has agreed to pay.

I don't like ADMs any more than anyone else, but there are times I've been able to buy for less than MSRP - times when cars were not in short supply. It's "just" supply and demand. If the asking price is too high, and the seller won't come down enough, don't buy it. And if a dealership routinely adds ADM, especially on first edition reservations, avoid doing business with them if possible.

Clearly this doesn't help people who want to but can't move their reservation to a different dealership, which is the real complaint here.

·
Registered
112 Posts
By Denis Flierl Feb 12 2022 : Retailers Are Already Giving The Hot Subaru Solterra Price Bumps Well Over MSRP
Denis reports that there will only be ~ 6,000 available in the US in 2022.

Frighteningly they ran the same headline ten years ago
By Patrick Rall Mar 13 2012: Just 6,000 2013 Subaru BRZ Coupes coming to the US

I was hoping for stronger production so that Solterra might outsell the Legacy. Now I am wondering if it will outsell the BRZ. (2021 Subaru car sales in the USA in table)
Impreza​
34,791​
WRX​
27,141​
Legacy​
22,766​
BRZ; Subaru stopped producing the 2020 BRZ in July 2020; no 2021 model
2,320​

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thats crazy that they are already saying they are going to mark it up even before we have [email protected] what dealership did you reserve your car at?

·
103 Posts
Heuberger guy said he wasn't sure, but they usually sell well below invoice but lately have been selling at MSRP. I informed him I would be very displeased with ADM. We'll see after they announce pricing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Subaru Global Sales Revenue in billions of USD
  • $24 B 31. Mar. 2022 forecast 9 February 2022
  • $25 B 31. Mar. 2021
  • $30 B 31. Mar. 2020
  • $28 B 31. Mar. 2019
  • $31 B 31. Mar. 2018
  • $30 B 31. Mar. 2017
  • $29 B 31. Mar. 2016
  • $26 B 31. Mar. 2015
  • $22 B 31. Mar. 2014
All conversions to USD are with the same exchange rate. My point is global sales revenue is at a 7 year low.

Where are regular (gasoline) Subarus selling these days? I'm out of touch with Post COVID pricing-- My guess would be ~MSRP at competitive dealers. ADM is a hard pass for me.
2022 MSRP (without destination and delivery)
  • Forester Starting at $25,195
  • Forester Premium Starting at $28,195
  • Forester Sport Starting at $29,765
  • Forester Limited Starting at $31,875
  • Forester Wilderness Starting at $32,820
  • Forester Touring Starting at $35,295

Faulkner Subaru in Bethlehem PA is selling strictly at MSRP with no ADM. However, if you are hoping to buy a Forester at anywhere in the under $30K range you are s. out of luck. The typical vehicle that they are delivering is a Forester Wilderness $32,820 with $2,615 in additional options plus $1,125 Destination and Delivery.

Looking at the website you see only one Base Trim and it still has options,
  1. 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Base Trim Level $25,601
  2. 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited $33,497
  3. 2022 Subaru Impreza Sport $27,976
  4. 2022 Subaru Impreza Sport $28,476
  5. 2022 Subaru Legacy Limited $33,831
  6. 2022 Subaru Legacy Touring XT $38,036
  7. 2022 Subaru Forester Limited $36,029
  8. 2022 Subaru Forester Touring $38,153
  9. 2022 Subaru Forester Wilderness $36,380
  10. 2022 Subaru Forester Wilderness $36,560
  11. 2022 Subaru Forester Touring $37,754
  12. 2022 Subaru Forester Wilderness $36,508
  13. 2022 Subaru Forester Wilderness $36,387
  14. 2022 Subaru Forester Wilderness $36,560
  15. 2022 Subaru Outback Premium $31,165
  16. 2022 Subaru Outback Limited $37,740
  17. 2022 Subaru Outback Onyx Edition XT $39,040
  18. 2022 Subaru Ascent Limited 8-Passenger $44,893
  19. 2022 Subaru Ascent Touring 7-Passenger $47,943

·
Registered
2 Posts
After completing the reservation process...I asked my dealer straight out in an email what the cost would be including fees etc.

I was informed no markup and normal fees to complete the purchase. So other than paying MSRP... (ie) no haggling... routine purchase at my dealer.

Two of the three Subaru dealerships I have dealt with in the past will not markup any vehicle...the third is...which is why I haven't done business with them for at least 15 years...poor business practices even before the crazy market of the last 18 months.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts