Subaru Solterra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We almost didn’t bother driving to the dealer to look at our Solterra that had just come in on Saturday - that is we almost just backed out because a lot has happened (or NOT happened) since last summer when we originally thought we would get our Solterra. No Tax Credit now, mixed reviews from professional reviewers, and new or better-availability of competitors. And, we bought two new cars this fall (one new, on new-to-us) and were happy with our stable.

We thought it would be fun to do a test drive, plus it would just be prudent to go check it out - maybe we would really like it. Glad we did!

We both loved it, and took it home, trading-in a new car we just bought (with not too much of a transaction ~penalty).

The Solterra feels very solid in every way, interior is very nice, handles great - fun to drive (we were afraid it would have been too Toyota’d). My wife even prefers the “look over the steering wheel to see the gauge cluster” thing (and I find it okay). The tech is good. Overall, it definitely feels/drives like a “real Subaru.”

Will add additional review notes soon. This is our second Subaru (my mother still has our first), and this is our first EV (the last EV we each had an opportunity to drive was a Rivian).

· Registered
213 Posts
We almost didn’t bother driving to the dealer to look at our Solterra that had just come in on Saturday - that is we almost just backed out because a lot has happened (or NOT happened) since last summer when we originally thought we would get our Solterra. No Tax Credit now, mixed reviews from professional reviewers, and new or better-availability of competitors. And, we bought two new cars this fall (one new, on new-to-us) and were happy with our stable.

We thought it would be fun to do a test drive, plus it would just be prudent to go check it out - maybe we would really like it. Glad we did!

We both loved it, and took it home, trading-in a new car we just bought (with not too much of a transaction ~penalty).

The Solterra feels very solid in every way, interior is very nice, handles great - fun to drive (we were afraid it would have been too Toyota’d). My wife even prefers the “look over the steering wheel to see the gauge cluster” thing (and I find it okay). The tech is good. Overall, it definitely feels/drives like a “real Subaru.”

Will add additional review notes soon. This is our second Subaru (my mother still has our first), and this is our first EV (the last EV we each had an opportunity to drive was a Rivian).
Congrats to you and your wife on getting your Solterra @unpossible! Which vehicle did you end up trading in for it? Was it another Subaru?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent!

May I ask, what did you trade in for it?
I was a little afraid people would ask what we traded in, because it is kind of a long story : ). We traded in a 2022 Ford Maverick truck.

At the start of 2022, we thought we would be shopping for two vehicles during the year - a teen/kid/new-driver car, and a ~work truck for around our property. We placed reservations/orders - the Solterra would be the kid car, and the Maverick the work truck. But neither were ready when we thought, and the timing became anyone's guess. So in the fall we bought a new-to-us Jeep Grand Cherokee - in that it could reasonably be a ~work truck (trailer-towing mostly) and/or a kid car. Then the Maverick came in...and we figured it was a 'bird in the hand' and a potential kid-car so we took delivery of it. Plus it was relatively low-risk to get the Maverick, as we paid MSRP and they were/are still selling for a bit over MSRP.

The Maverick is under-rated as a kid/teen car - it is in very inexpensive, relatively easy on gas, is easy-to-drive, very versatile, and has a surprisingly good set of safety features. But in the end, the Solterra is of course better with even more safety features, and the ~downsides of a EV (range) have zero-bearing on a kid car / might even be an advantage. Also, where the Solterra arguably is disadvantaged against other EVs (it doesn't have crazy acceleration)...again is an an advantage for kid-use. And because I am already pretty-much covered for ~work truck with the Jeep, the Solterra is more versatile as a family car now than the Maverick and when kids leave home my wife (or I perhaps I) may take it over / 'take it back' from the kids.

Some people are thinking - that a new Solterra is a pretty nice/expensive car for kids to use. Yes, the kids will have by-far our most expensive and nicest car. But how else should it be - they will have access to the safest-possible, easiest to learn/drive car.

· Registered
484 Posts
Back in the 50s and 60s when I was growing up, lots of high school boys pulled abandoned 55-57 Fords and Chevys (there was a great abundance of those models then) from junkyards and fixed them up enough for transportation. Most were rattle traps, but a few kids with decent after school jobs or helpful parents fixed these vehicles up fairly nicely…for that day and time. High schools still had shop classes then, and many of these vehicles were also used as shop projects, both mechanical and painting. Of course, by todays standards they were little more than death-traps, but that’s how it was back then.

Safety wasn’t seen as much of a concern in those days compared to the way it is today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts