Subaru Solterra Forum banner
521 - 540 of 588 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah my dealer, Nanaimo Subaru confirmed the Loyalty Bonus. I bought my BRZ there 3 years ago. Made sure they understood that if they cannot get me a base model, I will go for the Luxury model, rather than wait a long time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i decided to pass on purchasing the Black Luxury Solterra that is in stock at Nanaimo Subaru. poodlemaster you should talk to Cameron if you think you want to request it. Bottom line is that after looking at it in person (not driving it) it just doesn't have the same room as my 2016 Forester XT. I need to get two dogs in the back and the sloped back takes up too much space. I need to carry four bikes and it doesn't have a 2" hitch option. Finally, the range is not quite what I need to get up the local mountain and back in Winter without the need to charge on the way. I will wait and get an EV in about 3 years. Oh yeah and I only qualify for a $5k rebate that used to be $8k. Good luck with your purchases everyone and I hope you enjoy your new Solterra.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah, of the 24 cars we have in our queue, there are perhaps 2 base models. This is why I have told my guys, I'll take a Luxury if I have to wait for a Base model.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No doubt they have to release at least a couple of base trim builds or the feds would not allow the rebate.
I really hope you are able to get the base model soon but I just heard that Subaru announced today that they will not have any 18 inch wheels until next year. Perhaps they have enough just for a handful of base models and just not enough to sell additional. My fingers are crossed for you folks getting the base. I have decided to stick with the luxury for now. I normally go base model but there are actually a few things I want on the luxury and I just want to get the darn car already. Decided not to go with a tech package mostly because I really do not want a glass roof. I do like the camera washers and smart mirror but I’ll live without them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I really hope you are able to get the base model soon but I just heard that Subaru announced today that they will not have any 18 inch wheels until next year. Perhaps they have enough just for a handful of base models and just not enough to sell additional. My fingers are crossed for you folks getting the base. I have decided to stick with the luxury for now. I normally go base model but there are actually a few things I want on the luxury and I just want to get the darn car already. Decided not to go with a tech package mostly because I really do not want a glass roof. I do like the camera washers and smart mirror but I’ll live without them.
Same. Want those two features but not the glass roof.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Our first 12 cars have no Base model included. The next set probably will, so I have told my salesperson if I make it into the #12 slot I will buy a Luxury model. If I don't I will have to wait, and proably get my Base model.

·
Super Moderator
284 Posts
Same. Want those two features but not the glass roof.
The glass roof is the feature I want the most from the Tech package. I had a 2019 RDX A-Spec with the panoramic roof. I loved the natural lighting in the cabin, especially in the evening. Just made the car feel less dark inside. Kids loved it also as they could lookup at the sky. Ventilated seats also are so nice to have (the RDX had these also). Looking forward to the smart mirror, have never had that feature on a car before.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am on the other side of the "barricade". Never had panoramic roof myself but lot of friends around yes and 95 % say that it is useless. As driver you don't enjoy it, based on implementation it can sun-blind back passengers (Forester 2016 I think), if you put something on the roof for long trip, you can't see through it, and also it is less rigid, heavier and bigger (motorized in Forester 2016) than normal roof (less space inside and higher center of gravity). For Solterra I would rather pay for solar roof to slightly extend the range or possible small recharge when parking in "wild" on sun place :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am on the other side of the "barricade". Never had panoramic roof myself but lot of friends around yes and 95 % say that it is useless. As driver you don't enjoy it, based on implementation it can sun-blind back passengers (Forester 2016 I think), if you put something on the roof for long trip, you can't see through it, and also it is less rigid, heavier and bigger (motorized in Forester 2016) than normal roof (less space inside and higher center of gravity). For Solterra I would rather pay for solar roof to slightly extend the range or possible small recharge when parking in "wild" on sun place :)
The glass roof is actually the reason I do not want the tech. We often put gear on the roof and I don’t want a delicate piece of glass up there to worry about. It may also increase heat load in winter and reduce range, it reduces available headroom and it’s just one more motor to break. Our kids don’t really like opening our current sunroof much anyway. I do like the idea of a smart mirror and camera washers though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #536 ·
The glass roof is actually the reason I do not want the tech. We often put gear on the roof and I don’t want a delicate piece of glass up there to worry about. It may also increase heat load in winter and reduce range, it reduces available headroom and it’s just one more motor to break. Our kids don’t really like opening our current sunroof much anyway. I do like the idea of a smart mirror and camera washers though.
Agreed. The price jump from the Base to the Luxury makes sense to me, but not the Luxury to the Tech.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The panoramic sunroof that I had on my 2004 forester was kick ass. Huge window that got opened nearly every day. No worries about the front fork of my bike hitting the glass, because the glass was fully retracted into the roof. I really loved that sunroof.

On the other hand, a non-retractable glass roof is just a hail storm magnet: no way to hide. (Though, I have to say that during one hail storm inflicted on my Forester put dents all over it, cracked one headlight assembly, but didn't damage the glass sunroof.)

When I'm driving down the road in my Outback, I want to be a part of the environment: the windows are down, the sunroof is back, and the wind is whipping through my hair. I don't understand all these cagers who ride around in their cars, windows sealed up, totally insulated from their surroundings.

Why bother with a glass roof? Just replace the headliner with a big OLED screen and display images of the sky on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Most of the time I am driving on nice roads with higher speeds and I don't want to have windows down due to aerodynamic noise and sometimes also the outside "smog".
When I am doing slight off road it is either dusty road and I don't want to have all the dust inside or sometimes branches around and I don't need face clap from these branches :D
And that is when nice weather. Not talking about rain, extreme hot or extreme cold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have always loved a sun roof for the extra light it lets in. For decades I've hated the sun glare in my eyes and it always seems to be there no matter the season or time of day. Only this year did I come up with a solution for my dilemma - I bought a roll of window glare control, cut a piece to fit my sunroof and, voila.... I'm a happy, glare free camper!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quick question my fellow canucks…

Can anyone on this forum confirm that they have received delivery and are currently driving their Solterra?
My dealership seems to be dragging despite the wheel replacement having happened. Not a big deal, just pretty anxious to get in this thing! It’s been here for weeks now.

521 - 540 of 588 Posts