Subaru Solterra Forum banner
501 - 520 of 588 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Base usually offer the best value. However, I went with the Luxury Package these features are useful to me:
Passenger side reverse tilt mirror (to look for curbs for the 20" wheels)
Harman/Kardon (I have had base stereo in the 22 WRX, which is pretty bad, and the 22 Sienna XSE is marginally better, but still bad)
Startex (have kids, so vinyl is by far the best for cleaning and wear)
Memory seat and lumbar
Heated Steering
For 4100, its not cheap but not terrible considering the extra you get. I couldn't justify the 3700 from Luxury to Tech.

·
Super Moderator
284 Posts
About 40% residual on a 3 year lease. Ouch
Yeah I don’t understand this one at all. Other Subarus are 50-65% after 3 years. And if anything, EVs are going to be in more demand and ICE vehicles will lose their value the more time goes by. So I’m not really sure how they came up with that other than wanting to make more money on the vehicle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Currently, the demand is still higher than supply. Lower the residual, lower the risk for lenders (Toyota Finance Canada). They don’t want to be in a position where the resale is significantly lower than the residual. At current supply level, I guess they are confident that they will sell all the units.

·
Super Moderator
833 Posts
Yeah I don’t understand this one at all. Other Subarus are 50-65% after 3 years. And if anything, EVs are going to be in more demand and ICE vehicles will lose their value the more time goes by. So I’m not really sure how they came up with that other than wanting to make more money on the vehicle.
Up front tax credits/incentives are partly to blame. If you divide the residual value by the MSRP AFTER rebates, the % is higher.

Plus, EV technology is advancing rapidly, which puts downward pressure on EV resale values.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm a newbie to leasing (and new car buying in general actually). Is it correct to say that the residual doesn't matter much at all if you plan to buy out the lease at the end, but matters a LOT if you plan to return it? So with those terms it is really buy it outright or walk.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes to a certain extent
If you are planning on leasing first, then buy, residual doesn’t matter as much (ie. if your residual (buy back value) is low, you just pay more during the lease term and vice versa)
If you are not planning on buying at the end of the lease, then technically lower residual means higher amount to borrow and therefore more per month.
However, lease when the rate is high is very costly.
The reason is that there is not only interest on top, but also lease cost.
Monthly payment is calculated based on (adjusted capital cost + residual value) * money factor
Adjusted capital cost is selling price of the car including all fees, money factor is expressed as a decimal point and correlates to the interest.
When you do the calculation this way, esp when the interest is high, it is significantly higher than (adjusted capital cost - residual) compounded by interest and divided over lease term

·
Registered
82 Posts
Very good info. Thanks. 6% is not all that high by historical standards; it only looks high in comparison to the free money we've had the last 15 years. I think. But yeah I was hoping to be able to take an "option" on it using a lease... doesn't look like that's feasible. I will actually have to decide lol. Leaning towards the ID.4 TBH 🙁 That complete lack of tow rating is really disappointing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I believe 1 percent is for current finance/lease customer. Not trade in necessary.
My dealer said the 1% discount is for anyone who has purchased the Subaru in the last 10 years. It doesn’t matter if they are a current finance or at lease customer. I usually buy cash but I this will mean two year financing for 2.99, which is pretty cheap right now. That’s the equivalent of saving at least a few thousand dollars on the car compared to other financing I’ve seen.

·
Super Moderator
284 Posts
Very good info. Thanks. 6% is not all that high by historical standards; it only looks high in comparison to the free money we've had the last 15 years. I think. But yeah I was hoping to be able to take an "option" on it using a lease... doesn't look like that's feasible. I will actually have to decide lol. Leaning towards the ID.4 TBH 🙁 That complete lack of tow rating is really disappointing.
The ID4 has a 8.3% lease rate for all terms currently in Canada. They are insane

·
Registered
6 Posts
My dealer said the 1% discount is for anyone who has purchased the Subaru in the last 10 years. It doesn’t matter if they are a current finance or at lease customer. I usually buy cash but I this will mean two year financing for 2.99, which is pretty cheap right now. That’s the equivalent of saving at least a few thousand dollars on the car compared to other financing I’ve seen.
Which dealer is that from if you don’t mind me asking

·
Registered
6 Posts
That was a super duper quick reply! I was just wanting to ask which Subaru dealership would honour 1% discount if you ever owned any Subaru in the past 10 years. I have placed an order for luxury trim long ago and I think I’m near the top. I’m also coming in very close with Volvo c40 recharge so it’s going to be a nail biter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That was a super duper quick reply! I was just wanting to ask which Subaru dealership would honour 1% discount if you ever owned any Subaru in the past 10 years. I have placed an order for luxury trim long ago and I think I’m near the top. I’m also coming in very close with Volvo c40 recharge so it’s going to be a nail biter.
Richmond Subaru.

501 - 520 of 588 Posts