Subaru Solterra Forum banner
201 - 220 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the capture of the dealer booklet.

I think the charging figure listed is rather on a "conservative" side. Those who have posted videos for BZ4X in Taiwan show much more positive experience than what's indicated on paper. Thus I'd rather review the actual data for production vehicles.
AFAIK, Europe and Asia are getting the faster charging Panasonic battery in all trims of the Solterra and bZ4x. North American Solterra are getting the slower charging CATL. More relevant charging comparison would the AWD Toyota bZ4x sold in the US.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek
22 Posts
Dealer training book can be found below. Looks like the top trim in Canada dropped some originally planned features (I don’t see the digital rear view mirror on the list, headlight washer sprayers, etc. also didn’t make it.). Charging page is, well, interesting.🙄 View attachment 911
View attachment 910
View attachment 908
View attachment 909
View attachment 906
View attachment 904
View attachment 907
View attachment 905
View attachment 903
View attachment 902
I thought it was equipped with the smart rearview mirror? The headlamp washer was deleted from the North America market.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm hoping your correct. I'm eager for some real world cold weather DC charging test results.
I can see cold weather charging being all over the map. I think it depends more on how well-conditioned/warm the battery is before the charge than what the outside temperature is. They'll need to yo-yo it pretty well to warm it up unless it has a pre-conditioning function.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can see cold weather charging being all over the map. I think it depends more on how well-conditioned/warm the battery is before the charge than what the outside temperature is. They'll need to yo-yo it pretty well to warm it up unless it has a pre-conditioning function.
Any EV charges slower cold and you can hope to plugin with a still warm car into an available fast charger, but the warnings from Toyota in the US about the AWD bZ4x cold charging suggest it will be worse than average.

My guess is that the Solterra/bZ4x may be, to some extent, rushed compliance models and, given supply chain constraints, they did not have enough "good" Panasonic batteries and we'll be getting in Canada and in the US whatever was still available from CATL.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Any EV charges slower cold and you can hope to plugin with a still warm car into an available fast charger, but the warnings from Toyota in the US about the AWD bZ4x cold charging suggest it will be worse than average.

My guess is that the Solterra/bZ4x may be, to some extent, rushed compliance models and, given supply chain constraints, they did not have enough "good" Panasonic batteries and we'll be getting in Canada and in the US whatever was still available from CATL.
The cold will hurt if you cold-gate it. But, it shouldn't much matter how cold it is outside if the battery is warm. I assume Toyota's warnings are associated with a car that has sat out in the cold all night not on a charger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great idea. Thx for suggesting. Will for sure do this.
As someone who usually enjoys driving, and have done the trip both ways (most recently in a E63 wagon), I personally would not recommend doing this trip in an EV that is not a Tesla.
In the E63, it was quite enjoyable because you get to drive reasonably quickly with a radar detector for the boring bits, and enjoy the scenery (esp Lake of the Woods, Thunder Bay to Wawa along Lake Superior, and Lake Superior Provincial Park). The stretch from Sault Ste Marie to Sudbury then Toronto is quite boring, but if you travel at a reasonably safe and high speed and find someone who is travelling at a good clip and tag along, it makes it way more fun.
With an EV, it gets a bit hairy because there are few rapid chargers in between, and you can never be sure that it will work properly and unlike gas stations, there is no reasonable backup nearby. Some of the areas are very remote and you won't see anyone for a long time. Because range is a concern, you also won't be driving too quickly either even if the roads are good and clear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Has anybody received word from their dealer that their car has landed in North America?

here’s hoping we get pricing this week. I expected last week during the Dealer training in Toronto we would have seen pricing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anybody received word from their dealer that their car has landed in North America?

here’s hoping we get pricing this week. I expected last week during the Dealer training in Toronto we would have seen pricing.
I received word on Saturday from my dealer that my car had landed in Vancouver and was loaded to Rail heading to Toronto. Approx 3 weeks to work it’s way through the system to arrive at dealer apparently. Still all happening with no pricing obviously.

·
Registered
378 Posts
As someone who usually enjoys driving, and have done the trip both ways (most recently in a E63 wagon), I personally would not recommend doing this trip in an EV that is not a Tesla.
In the E63, it was quite enjoyable because you get to drive reasonably quickly with a radar detector for the boring bits, and enjoy the scenery (esp Lake of the Woods, Thunder Bay to Wawa along Lake Superior, and Lake Superior Provincial Park). The stretch from Sault Ste Marie to Sudbury then Toronto is quite boring, but if you travel at a reasonably safe and high speed and find someone who is travelling at a good clip and tag along, it makes it way more fun.
With an EV, it gets a bit hairy because there are few rapid chargers in between, and you can never be sure that it will work properly and unlike gas stations, there is no reasonable backup nearby. Some of the areas are very remote and you won't see anyone for a long time. Because range is a concern, you also won't be driving too quickly either even if the roads are good and clear.
Is there a forthcoming massive charging station build-out in Canada like is happening in the U.S. with the $5B legislation to put DCFCs every 50 miles along Interstates and $2.5B for DCFCs in rural and underserved areas? It's gonna take time, but it's nice to know it's coming.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Other than ventilated seats, the mirror and sprayers were the only other worthwhile parts in the top trim imo
The Smart mirror is still included. Just not listed in the dealer training material. I uploaded all those photos to the Facebook group, looks like someone stole them and posted them here before I deleted my posts from there lol
My dealer sent me the new spec sheet. The tech still has all the features from before except the headlight washer sprayers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did anyone get confirmation on the kw of the DC fast charging? Original tech material I got from the dealer says 150kw but everyone seems to be saying that it will only be 100kw since they went with the CATL battery pack...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did anyone get confirmation on the kw of the DC fast charging? Original tech material I got from the dealer says 150kw but everyone seems to be saying that it will only be 100kw since they went with the CATL battery pack...
Yes. Here is a screen grab of the new/final spec sheet in Canada. I have the entire PDF (dealer sent me). Just not sure if I am allowed to upload. I deleted all the photos from the dealer training manual I uploaded to Facebook after some feedback that I shouldn’t share. But it appears someone saved them all and uploaded them here. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks. That's really too bad. Hopefully they'll be able to get that speed up a bit (assuming the hardware is there). There was a slight bump in DC kW on the iD4 some months after it came up (I think it went from 125kW to 135kW).
Yeah I’m assuming the 150kw hardware is what’s on board still. I highly doubt they sourced a different part for that. Most likely software limited to 100kw charging (for now).

201 - 220 of 242 Posts