Subaru Solterra Forum banner
181 - 200 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Look up the IVY charging network. Should have you covered Winnipeg to Toronto. Probably would be a very long and painful trip, but definitely possibly
Ivy would just cover Ontario though correct? Ivy does not exist outside the province. You would need to rely on Petro Canada or other charging networks outside Ontario.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Was only talking about a trip from Winnipeg to toronto. Ivy is just Ontario correct.
thanks everyone, this is obviously going to be a big learning curve for me - think it is now pretty clear that I am a total newbie. Winnipeg is only 90min from the Ontario border and so it looks like it will be a mix of the PetroCanada and Ivy charging stations. Most seem to coming up about 200-250km apart using ABRP and PlugShare. A friend of mine did the trip earlier this month using a preproduction Volvo C40 which seems to have a similar range to the Solterra and they managed it OK. I gather the trip took three long days, so long and painful is right.
As long as I get there though. When I was a kid in the 80s I used to hitchhike across Canada regularly (Toronto - Vancouver and back multiple times, don't ask why). Anyways, there was this story about a hitchhiker who got stuck in remote northern Ontario for multiple weeks on end. He eventually gave up and walked off the transCanada into Wawa, got a job, met someone, got married and had kids, and is ostensibly still there today.
Hopefully this doesn't happen to me and the Solterra...

·
Registered
378 Posts
thanks everyone, this is obviously going to be a big learning curve for me - think it is now pretty clear that I am a total newbie. Winnipeg is only 90min from the Ontario border and so it looks like it will be a mix of the PetroCanada and Ivy charging stations. Most seem to coming up about 200-250km apart using ABRP and PlugShare. A friend of mine did the trip earlier this month using a preproduction Volvo C40 which seems to have a similar range to the Solterra and they managed it OK. I gather the trip took three long days, so long and painful is right.
As long as I get there though. When I was a kid in the 80s I used to hitchhike across Canada regularly (Toronto - Vancouver and back multiple times, don't ask why). Anyways, there was this story about a hitchhiker who got stuck in remote northern Ontario for multiple weeks on end. He eventually gave up and walked off the transCanada into Wawa, got a job, met someone, got married and had kids, and is ostensibly still there today.
Have you thought about integrating destination chargers at hotels or campgrounds into your overnight stays? Could make a big difference starting the day with a warm 100% state of charge.

·
Registered
154 Posts
...He eventually gave up and walked off the transCanada into Wawa, got a job, met someone, got married and had kids, and is ostensibly still there today.
Hopefully someone in Wawa would lend you a plug and put you up for a few days before you had to resort to giving up completely. :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hopefully someone in Wawa would lend you a plug and put you up for a few days before you had to resort to giving up completely. :)
30 minutes to add 90 minutes of highway driving (100 miles) starting a bit high (22% SOC) using a 50kW charger is not bad. Starting lower (5-10%) may have stepped it up, but hard to tell on just a 50 kW charger. I'd look for 100-150 kW chargers and start at a lower SOC. But I understand getting that free EVgo juice.⚡

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'd look for 100-150 kW chargers and start at a lower SOC. But I understand getting that free EVgo juice.⚡
Although there are, by some counts, many 150 and 350 kW DC chargers, there are also many places that are not close to said fast, fast chargers. For many EV drivers, the most convenient fast charger IS a 50 kW unit.

·
Registered
436 Posts
30 minutes to add 90 minutes of highway driving (100 miles) starting a bit high (22% SOC) using a 50kW charger is not bad. Starting lower (5-10%) may have stepped it up, but hard to tell on just a 50 kW charger. I'd look for 100-150 kW chargers and start at a lower SOC. But I understand getting that free EVgo juice.⚡
Pretty sure this is a reply to a message in a different thread... right?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also just got notified by our dealer in Winnipeg that our Solterra had arrived in town (limited, carbon grey). And that it will be ready for pick up next week. Still no info on pricing, but was reassured that there is no mark up. Kind of weird to be committed without any test drives, much data, or any pricing info. But in a way that makes it even more exciting.
Any word on this? Have you gone in to see it yet?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ivy would just cover Ontario though correct? Ivy does not exist outside the province. You would need to rely on Petro Canada or other charging networks outside Ontario.
Assuming you start full at Winnipeg, you should be able to do Winnipeg -> Dryden --> Charge --> Dryden -> Thunder Bay for the first leg.

The second leg would most likely be Thunder Bay -> Sault Ste. Marie (with a stop in Marathon/White River/Wawa) By that time you probably have a better feel of how far you can go and what you comfort level is.

After that you could be a bit flexible as you are hitting the more populated areas in Southern Ontario where chargers are more readily available.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Dealer training book can be found below. Looks like the top trim in Canada dropped some originally planned features (I don’t see the digital rear view mirror on the list, headlight washer sprayers, etc. also didn’t make it.). Charging page is, well, interesting.🙄
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Wheel Automotive design Motor vehicle Gadget

Plant community Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Font Material property Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory Electronic device

Automotive design Eyewear Vehicle door Gadget Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Font

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dealer training book can be found below. Looks like the top trim in Canada dropped some originally planned features (I don’t see the digital rear view mirror on the list, headlight washer sprayers, etc. also didn’t make it.). Charging page is, well, interesting.🙄
Other than ventilated seats, the mirror and sprayers were the only other worthwhile parts in the top trim imo

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the capture of the dealer booklet.

I think the charging figure listed is rather on a "conservative" side. Those who have posted videos for BZ4X in Taiwan show much more positive experience than what's indicated on paper. Thus I'd rather review the actual data for production vehicles.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Have you driven from winnipeg to toronto before? It really is a pretty crap drive i wouldnt recommend doing it just for fun.
I guess it depends what you're comparing it to. I've driven most of that route, in sections (not all on the same trip) for fun (was on vacations). It's far superior to, say, Chicago to Dallas, Minneapolis to Winnipeg, or Toronto to Chicago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I guess it depends what you're comparing it to. I've driven most of that route, in sections (not all on the same trip) for fun (was on vacations). It's far superior to, say, Chicago to Dallas, Minneapolis to Winnipeg, or Toronto to Chicago.
For sure it’s not an ugly route, well at least for much of it it isn't, just that it is an extremely long drive vs a couple of hours in a plane. I would never do it for the joy of it personally. then factor in the potential frustrations with an electric car, limited charger network in a spread out region, and new model teething issues. The kenora to thunder bay stretch has a terrible safety history too. Speaking of which Im currently stuck in thunder bay trying to get home with endlessly cancelled flights and if there were rental cars available Id be on that very road heading west right now!

181 - 200 of 242 Posts